• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The End of the Sartorial Road

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Yes, I’ve basically worn the same style more or less my entire life without until the last few years even really being aware of it even being a “style”

now that I am more conscious I am aimed at simply refining my instincts and getting better versions of items I’ve had at one time or another which have proved useful/versatile

I would say it is easy to see the common themes in my closet and everything is increasingly hewing to these themes

to the extent there are deviations, they are seasonal, so that I will tend to wear slightly brighter colors and lighter fabrics in summer vs the rest of the year

I don’t really have much interest in experimenting, more just in how well I can refine within my comfort zone without spending insane amounts of money

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#2 (keeping a list of planned purchases and sticking to it)— this is one of my goals for this year. Very easy to get distracted by shiny objects while neglecting covering basics

I'm a bit behind on this thread, but this definitely is the greatest lesson I've learned in a short amount of time. I'm still in the beginning phases of building a respectable professional wardrobe, but i made a bunch of impulse decisions at the outset simply because i could that i now regret/wish i could re-allocate those funds.

I remember a story about Slash from G n' R telling someone if they wanted a tattoo they should draw it on themselves for a year with a sharpie and if they still liked it at the end of the year, then they should get it. nowadays I keep a google sheet to plan out all of my big ticket items (sport coats, suits, dress trousers, fancy shoes) at least 6 months in advance, part by design part by financial necessity. If i still want it badly by the time the date rolls around, I get it. It has been working out pretty well over the past 18 months (there has certainly been somethings that I've looked back on that I question what i was thinking at that point).

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit behind on this thread, but this definitely is the greatest lesson I've learned in a short amount of time. I'm still in the beginning phases of building a respectable professional wardrobe, but i made a bunch of impulse decisions at the outset simply because i could that i now regret/wish i could re-allocate those funds.

I remember a story about Slash from G n' R telling someone if they wanted a tattoo they should draw it on themselves for a year with a sharpie and if they still liked it at the end of the year, then they should get it. nowadays I keep a google sheet to plan out all of my big ticket items (sport coats, suits, dress trousers, fancy shoes) at least 6 months in advance, part by design part by financial necessity. If i still want it badly by the time the date rolls around, I get it. It has been working out pretty well over the past 18 months (there has certainly been somethings that I've looked back on that I question what i was thinking at that point).
I find it fascinating that a lot of people here are taking such a disciplined and organized approach (ie excel spreadsheets) to CM purchases. While I am by no means rich or have unlimited funds most people here (including myself) seem to have significant disposable income available to them... I feel like too much planning takes the excitement out of it but that's just me.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it fascinating that a lot of people here are taking such a disciplined and organized approach (ie excel spreadsheets) to CM purchases. While I am by no means rich or have unlimited funds most people here (including myself) seem to have significant disposable income available to them... I feel like too much planning takes the excitement out of it but that's just me.

I do it for a couple of reasons that work well for me: I'm impulsive by nature, so it tempers me and serves as a self filter for some of my poorer 'shoot from the hip' fashion choices. I have bougie tastes and went from making very little to making above average in the past 5 years, so part of it is a vestige of when i had to actually save up for an item. most of my CM is MTM, so it helps me plan better seasonally considering the lead times. i'm actually still in the process of building my professional/adult wardrobe from my immediate post-college Jos Banks stuff so it helps me grow slow and apply lessons learned to later items. delayed gratification can be just as fun

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your insights. This thread has gone in a lot of interesting directions I didn't anticipate when I started it.

Re. clothing as communication: I think clothing invariably reflects your personality. If you're a quiet and serious person, you're probably not wearing neon streetwear in your free time. Or even candy-striped shirts and loud ties at work.

Do you all see a consistent theme in your clothing? In other words, if someone were to look at your closet, could they tell it was the wardrobe of one person and what that person was like? I'm guessing most people don't dress like a New England prep one day and a goth ninja the next, but maybe I'm wrong.
Mine says: really likes knit ties and navy blue

I would say my main style revelation from this site, way back in 07 or whenever I first discovered it, was that you could still get knit ties. Graeme / Phat Guido / el Guapo Wongo posted a pic wearing a knit tie, and I began wondering why I stopped wearing them in about 1990. Now it’s pretty much all I wear

forgetfool

Reaction score
I would describe my style as "things no one wanted at full price"

Coincidentally, that is exactly how I do my shopping. Personally, there has never been a want that I needed desperately to warrant paying full price.

New clothing and shoes (of quality) were only bought if the price was right. Heck, I've even bought bespoke tailoring client rejects/clear-outs at a fraction of their price and had them altered to fit. Asides from the thrill of getting a good bargain, it also allowed me to experiment on style, fit, and preferences. I am open to thrifting but that requires more effort and i'm too lazy.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have ADD, and one unfortunate manifestation is that all my life I've been jumping from one hobby or interest to another. When I get interested in something, it's extremely intense and focused - but unfortunately not something you can just apply to whatever, it has to come organically.

For 10 years I spent almost every waking of my spare time studying / purchasing / etc. guitars, before it kinda died off. I kept a couple, play them every day, and that's good. Then came menswear, and I started doing the same - which has been for the past 10 years.

I'm still interested, but only a fraction of how it was 5-7 years ago. What I wear today is much more different, but I'm glad for what I've learned. My closets are full of timeless pieces, and I have something to wear for every occasion under the sun.

Now, I'm still a sucker for sales and good deals, and it's hard to pass the terrific ones; But I'm not vacuuming up things like before.

I often found myself shoehorning classical menswear into every occasion I could - that is, wearing the clothes. I became stuck with a look, and in hindsight I've stressed far too much over the trivial vanities.

So yeah, I try to stay updated on what's new and what's good, but I've toned down, and enjoy what I have. Who knows what'll come next to me.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Guitar forum wisdom and Styleforum wisdom seem to have substantial overlap in that there are certain items you “must” have (e.g., every serious guitarist must have a strat, les paul, etc)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guitar forum wisdom and Styleforum wisdom seem to have substantial overlap in that there are certain items you “must” have (e.g., every serious guitarist must have a strat, les paul, etc)

I think it's like that with every enthusiast hobby. Basenotes has the same thing with fragrances (e.g. Aventus, Terre de Hermes, Bleu de Chanel). Fountain Pen Network has something similar (e.g. Lamy 2000, TWSBI, Parker 51)

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also find this among watch collectors. Of course with some guidance by budget. Seiko skx, speedmasters and submariners are essentials.

I dont see this, in the same degree, among wine collectors. This might be due to the limited availability of top wines and vintage variations.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally, that is exactly how I do my shopping. Personally, there has never been a want that I needed desperately to warrant paying full price.

New clothing and shoes (of quality) were only bought if the price was right. Heck, I've even bought bespoke tailoring client rejects/clear-outs at a fraction of their price and had them altered to fit. Asides from the thrill of getting a good bargain, it also allowed me to experiment on style, fit, and preferences. I am open to thrifting but that requires more effort and i'm too lazy.

I wish I had the patience to wait for sales/discounts. When I want something, I want it now...no chance I'm waiting to buy on sale.

The positive corollary to this is that I'm 100% un-influenced by sales in terms of buying something "because the price was too good to pass up". If I don't want something, you could discount it 90% and I still won't buy it. I think this saves me more money than what I lose buying at full price.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I had the patience to wait for sales/discounts. When I want something, I want it now...no chance I'm waiting to buy on sale.

The positive corollary to this is that I'm 100% un-influenced by sales in terms of buying something "because the price was too good to pass up". If I don't want something, you could discount it 90% and I still won't buy it. I think this saves me more money than what I lose buying at full price.

As a small business owner, I wish there were many, many more people like you :)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a small business owner, I wish there were many, many more people like you :)

You wouldn't say that if you saw how little I actually buy in a given year! But PM me a link to your business and I'll see about buying some full price stuff!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been on StyleForum since the beginning. In that time, I've learned a lot about men's clothing, significantly improved my wardrobe, and made some great friends, both online and offline. Maybe because it's the New Year (call it a resolution of sorts), but I've come to realize that I don't need or want to buy any more clothes. Partly because there are other areas in which I would like to spend money (watches, art, travel, kitchen renovation) and partly because I just want to enjoy what I already have. So while I'll stay on StyleForum to contribute knowledge where I can and live vicariously through other posters, it's the end of the sartorial road for me (at least for now), save for the occasional NMWA purchase with LuxeSwap credit.

Anybody else feel the same? Or is this just crazy talk?
oh hai
Man, I thought the header was the beginning of a suicide note.
remember when @lasbar wrote that a last pair of shoes was like a last breath?
May I please ask who is Vox? I've been reading that name a lot on this forum.
he's like the batman we don't deserve.
I sometimes interview certain guys about their wardrobes -- well-dressed guys who have been doing this for a long time.
wait, you do? maybe my phone is broken.
im like that bus in speed and if i ever stop kopping i'll explode
+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads