• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The End of the Sartorial Road

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is, the longer you stay on SF, the more you tend to needlessly buy **** either based on group think or just acquiring for the sake of acquiring something new, particularly if there is a hunt involved. And don’t tell me something I didn’t really care about before is now sold out because then for some reason I now need it and am going to spend the next week trying to find it, and on discount! I stopped subscribing to a bunch of products/brand oriented threads or don’t bother clicking as much, and boy are my bank account and closets so much better for it. It’s amazing when you step back realizing how much enablement of overconsumption there is (along with camaraderie and helpfulness). Now I’m more focused on selling. Wish I did this 5 years ago. Similarly, I’m on Facebook way less. I’m better for it as well.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is, the longer you stay on SF, the more you tend to needlessly buy **** either based on group think or just acquiring for the sake of acquiring something new, particularly if there is a hunt involved. And don’t tell me something I didn’t really care about before is now sold out because then for some reason I now need it and am going to spend the next week trying to find it, and on discount! I stopped subscribing to a bunch of products/brand oriented threads or don’t bother clicking as much, and boy are my bank account and closets so much better for it. It’s amazing when you step back realizing how much enablement of overconsumption there is (along with camaraderie and helpfulness). Now I’m more focused on selling. Wish I did this 5 years ago. Similarly, I’m on Facebook way less. I’m better for it as well.
I dropped all the affiliate threads as well. I’ll pop back in occasionally but am much less interested in stuff. Fleshed out my casual wardrobe at NMWA over the last six months but need little else I think. Sent a pile of stuff to LuxeSwap as well.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fie, I say fie upon these ideas! What's over-consumption, anyway? A suit for every day of the week? Fifteen ties instead of ten? Two leather jackets instead of one?

If a 'want' is physically, mentally, or emotionally desired, is it not really a need? And if not, what is needful about anything - beyond the fact that it is desired emotionally, mentally, or physically?

There is an identifiable amount of absurdity in applying critiques of practicality to what is essentially an aesthetic pursuit. And that amount is brobdingnagian.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fie, I say fie upon these ideas! What's over-consumption, anyway? A suit for every day of the week? Fifteen ties instead of ten? Two leather jackets instead of one?

If a 'want' is physically, mentally, or emotionally desired, is it not really a need? And if not, what is needful about anything - beyond the fact that it is desired emotionally, mentally, or physically?

There is an identifiable amount of absurdity in applying critiques of practically to what is essentially an aesthetic pursuit. And that amount is brobdingnagian.
I already covered those bases. Winter suits, summer suits, sport coats for numerous occasions. All fun and acquiring stuff is still neat but harder to justify no matter how good it feels!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already covered those bases. Winter suits, summer suits, sport coats for numerous occasions. All fun and acquiring stuff is still neat but harder to justify no matter how good it feels!

Have you opened up the world of glove selection, or fragrance wardrobes? :wink:

I think there are fundamental differences in the ways we define what's necessary. I was always raised with an understanding that a gentleman uses a fragrance to complete his toilette, for example. Others see that as an indulgence.

To this I have added my own peculiarities over the years, such as giant hat feathers and a small army of bulters; mere accessories, you understand, but I have an entire home industry to run with my spending habits! Not to mention a pet cat who requires special sartorial attentions.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you opened up the world of glove selection, or fragrance wardrobes? :wink:

I think there are fundamental differences in the ways we define what's necessary. I was always raised with an understanding that a gentleman uses a fragrance to complete his toilette, for example. Others see that as an indulgence.

To this I have added my own peculiarities over the years, such as giant hat feathers and a small army of bulters; mere accessories, you understand, but I have an entire home industry to run with my spending habits! Not to mention a pet cat who requires special sartorial attentions.
Oh yeah, many gloves, scarves, and other accessories. I've focused on buying for son and nephews now. Get them off to a good start!

I will, however, pounce on the odd item that goes by.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is an identifiable amount of absurdity in applying critiques of practicality to what is essentially an aesthetic pursuit. And that amount is brobdingnagian.

I'll toast to this.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is an aesthetic pursuit for me as well . However, part of the pursuit is actually
wearing the clothes. Not like the classical car collectors who never
drive their cars- hence 50s era Ferraris with 10,000 miles on them.
Aside for a Zoom birthday tribute for my grand daughter- she likes
it when I "dress-up", the last time I wore tailored clothing was February 29th
last year to attend a cultural event. I've reach the stage that I fantastize
about what I will wear to a favorite restaurant- which am not sure is open
except for takeout. February 19th is my second Covid shot, so tie selection
is not far off.

Reaction score
I've been on StyleForum since the beginning. In that time, I've learned a lot about men's clothing, significantly improved my wardrobe, and made some great friends, both online and offline. Maybe because it's the New Year (call it a resolution of sorts), but I've come to realize that I don't need or want to buy any more clothes. Partly because there are other areas in which I would like to spend money (watches, art, travel, kitchen renovation) and partly because I just want to enjoy what I already have. So while I'll stay on StyleForum to contribute knowledge where I can and live vicariously through other posters, it's the end of the sartorial road for me (at least for now), save for the occasional NMWA purchase with LuxeSwap credit.

Anybody else feel the same? Or is this just crazy talk?

The sartorial road never ends.I have more jackets, shirts, ties, and suits then I will ever need, yet I still buy more. Even I on occaision hit a period where I lose a bit of interest, but that interest always seems to return back after a while.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My CM wardrobe has been static for a while thanks to Covid. Did pounce on a few sport coats (Sarotio and Ring Jacket!) that went by for a steal but nothing substantial. Had some fun upping my casual game with some new loafers and lots of stuff from NMWA.

I guess the sartorial journey never really ends. I'm enjoying the minor course correction towards casual and waiting to see what work looks like in the Fall. I imagine that once schools reopen there will be lots of pressure to bring everyone back to the office here in DC.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Covid made me consider getting into the dressing gown game, but now that real life beckons I'm jumping back on the commissions.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Covid made me consider getting into the dressing gown game, but now that real life beckons I'm jumping back on the commissions.
That's hysterical! I thought the exact same thing. Was thinking of going full-Paul Feig with dressing gown and martini glass.

1621362426678.png

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's hysterical! I thought the exact same thing. Was thinking of going full-Paul Feig with dressing gown and martini glass.

View attachment 1611789

Yup I'm not sure how my wife would respond if I went around the house in New and Lingwood.

I did buy some C+J Albert slippers and some of their calf slippers for kicking around the house.

Edit: also if I drink a cocktail I'm more of a rusty nail guy. A cocktail or scotch + scotch liqueur lol.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a silk dressing gown made by Ascot Chang some years ago. Silk was sourced through Drake's. I believe it was printed by Vanners.

At the time, Budd Shirtmakers had the last box of hand-knotted tassels. Supposedly, the last woman in the UK to make them had retired, and they had the only box left. The other Jermyn Street shirtmakers told me they didn't do hand-knotted tassels. This was about five years ago. I imagine the box is now gone, but there may be some left.

tumblr_inline_oi3ziuRSwr1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_oi3zj65o5R1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_oi3zjlOwuq1qfex1b_540.jpg

A grail would be to find a new ancient madder dressing gown made with the old formula. New madder is much more bright and vibrant. Old variant was much more muted. But it's hard to find silk that's suitable for a dressin gown since most are made for ties and thus have panels.

tumblr_inline_obc72pnPSr1qfex1b_540.jpg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a silk dressing gown made by Ascot Chang some years ago. Silk was sourced through Drake's. I believe it was printed by Vanners.

At the time, Budd Shirtmakers had the last box of hand-knotted tassels. Supposedly, the last woman in the UK to make them had retired, and they had the only box left. The other Jermyn Street shirtmakers told me they didn't do hand-knotted tassels. This was about five years ago. I imagine the box is now gone, but there may be some left.

View attachment 1611791 View attachment 1611794 View attachment 1611798

A grail would be to find a new ancient madder dressing gown made with the old formula. New madder is much more bright and vibrant. Old variant was much more muted. But it's hard to find silk that's suitable for a dressin gown since most are made for ties and thus have panels.

View attachment 1611800

Thats like tasteful and understated. I was thinking something absurd like"
SmartSelect_20210518-113951_Chrome.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads