The Elusive 34L Suit: Where To Find?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radiocures, May 26, 2012.

1. radiocures

radiocures Member

Hi, all.

I am looking to acquire suits/blazers/sportcoats, but I've had trouble finding anything that fits. I'm 6'1" with a 33.5" chest, which makes me a 34L, I believe. I need a jacket BOC length of 30.5" - 31" on most cuts; 30" or less just doesn't look right.

However, I've had quite some difficulty locating anything in this size or with those measurements. 36R is usually a bit wide in the chest/shoulders and too short. The 34-35 I've found online are generally less than 30" long, making them too short for me.

Has anyone found a good place to buy OTR for this size?

(I have looked into MTM as well, but I'd prefer to find a brand that fits OTR with minor alterations as it would be much cheaper.)

Note: I should add that I am located in a small, suburban area in the southern US.

Last edited: May 26, 2012

2. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

Bloomingdales Boys Department?

3. radiocures

radiocures Member

Thanks for the idea. I'll check it out. I've looked at some boys suits elsewhere, and I've found them to generally be no longer than a men's 34R.

I need to figure out where 12 year old future NBA players buy their suits.

4. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

Yes boy's dept since you're not developed yet. A slim man at 6'1" would wear a 42-44L

5. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I suspect the OP is trolling. That said, if you think a slim man of six feet, one inch should wear a 44L, I'd hate to see how your suits fit.

6. sns23

sns23 Senior member

I am just about the slimmest person i've been around and i normally get into a modern cut 36. Sometimes a slim 38 fits pretty well. Are you trying to get a skin tight jacket. There should be one handful of excess room.

7. radiocures

radiocures Member

Some of the slimmer 36R jackets will work in the shoulders/chest, but I've yet to find one with a long enough jacket. The fact that the slimmer cuts seem to have shorter jackets as an intentional fashion statement makes it more difficult. Same story with 35R, on the rare chance I see one. SuitSupply 35R in some cuts would probably work except that the jackets are too short.

I'd like to have at least some jackets in a bit more conservative cut, which I think I'd need a 34L to work. But I don't care about the size label so long as it fits.

And I wish I were trolling. I was born with a slender frame and high metabolism which, combined with some medical issues, make it very difficult for me to gain weight.

8. DKSnider

DKSnider Active Member

You really think so? I've been 6'2" and at a steady weight for almost ten years - and I can barely make 38L work for me on the occasions that I can find them. Even then they're still usually large in the shoulder.

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Haha, no kidding ...

I'm 6'1 and around 170. I've been trying on jackets for 2 weeks and every single time I've been a 39L or 40L. My torso is too tall for regular length.

10. TM79

TM79 Senior member

You must be very skinny, and this is coming from a skinny dude. Not saying it in a bad way, just very surprised that even a 38L is baggy in the shoulders.

11. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

A 34 Long will be impossible to find in stock at 99% of retail stores as will a boys 18 or 20 Long.
    MTM is your best bet, but you may be able to find a retailer that will special order a mens
    34 or a boys 18 or 20 with longer length and longer sleeves. This is called MTO (made to order).
    You would probably have to go to a major city to find a retailer that would do this. I would start
    with a major department store like Nordstrom and ask if they will do special orders.

12. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member