The Egg Chair

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by robin, Apr 19, 2009.

1. robin

robin Senior member

Does anyone have any experiences with current production egg chairs from DWR or Hive Modern? Should I look for a used/vintage one instead?

Another question: are there other egg or womb chair inspired designs I should look at, that are also comfortable?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

Have you sat in one? I don't find it comfortable, though I appreciate its beauty.

You should also look at Saarinen's Womb chair, Paulin's Tulip Chair, the Auckland from Cassina, among others. The Womb and Tulip are more comfortable for me.

--Andre

3. robin

robin Senior member

Yes, I sat in one today (for the first time actually). I found it very comfortable, and I liked the wing portion around the upper part when sitting in it. I'd go sit in it for longer before buying one though.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I have two from before they sold them through DWR, but still from recent production. They are beautiful, and have held up very, very well. They are not the most comfortable chairs in the world, but aren't bad either. A lot of it has to do with how you are shaped. Some people think they are impossibly uncomfortable, and others can nap in them.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I suggest you get a Ball Chair:

[​IMG]

6. andyw

andyw Senior member

From the same Mid Century modern era, but different design intent is the Bertoia High Back Lounge Chair, aka the Bird Chair. Very comfortable and as iconic as the others. I've had one for 30 years and look forward to plopping into it after a long day.

7. robin

robin Senior member

Thanks matt.

I suggest you get a Ball Chair:

[​IMG]

How accommodating are these for taller people? I've always liked them in pictures.

From the same Mid Century modern era, but different design intent is the Bertoia High Back Lounge Chair, aka the Bird Chair. Very comfortable and as iconic as the others. I've had one for 30 years and look forward to plopping into it after a long day.
    I will look into that one, thanks.

8. robin

robin Senior member

Are there pictures of the egg couch somewhere online? I've read some articles mentioning that a few were made for the Radisson Hotel.

9. dave

dave Senior member

the Bertoia's are my favorite also. the Bird in particular. to my eye, it's the most beautiful of the bunch and it's fairly comfortable.

Also, in the "modern wing" vein is the Wegner Papa Bear chair. I've never actually seen on in person though so I can't speak to the comfort but I think they look great. it's decidedly more danish flair than some can take though for sure.

As Matt said, one man's ceiling is another's floor in terms of comfort on any one of these really. At over 6 ft and rather "solidly" built, I do not find the Egg comfortable. My GF, is 5'4" and finds it quite nice. I will have one one day because it's dead sexy but it's not on the top of my list because it's just not built for me.

The ball chair, though quirky, is not something you want to sit in to watch TV or have a conversation since the ball blocks out a lot of peripheral sound. i think they're mostly conversation pieces. put one in your house and I bet you'll find it's the last empty seat in a crowded house.

10. spertia

spertia Senior member

If you go with the Egg, you're probably better off just buying a current-production piece than a vintage one, since the vintage ones sometimes end up selling for more than it would cost to a buy a new one.

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

As you'll find out when you see the Bird Chair for yourself, it's a pretty narrow and small chair, and may not fit larger people too well. I like the Bertoia full-pad diamond chair better.

--Andre

12. converge

converge Senior member

The womb chair is the most comfortable chair I've sat in.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I like the Womb chair. The smaller one is heaven.

14. robin

robin Senior member

The ball chair, though quirky, is not something you want to sit in to watch TV or have a conversation since the ball blocks out a lot of peripheral sound.
    I think that's why I would like it.

I like the Womb chair. The smaller one is heaven.
    The child's version? http://www.knoll.com/products/brochures/ChildsWomb.pdf

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

This one appears to have an integrated phone:

[​IMG]