• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Duke's Innovations

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought it would be in good fun to assemble a list of the numerous fashions the Duke of Windsor created. They don't necessarily need to be new norms...any variation of an old sartorial tradition is, technically, new. I'll start:

• Suede shoes in town.
  • Black bowtie with a dinner suit (as opposed to white).
  • The abandonment of braces and the acceptance of belts.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I thought it would be in good fun to assemble a list of the numerous fashions the Duke of Windsor created. They don't necessarily need to be new norms...any variation of an old sartorial tradition is, technically, new. I'll start:

• Suede shoes in town.
  • Black bowtie with a dinner suit (as opposed to white).
  • The abandonment of braces and the acceptance of belts.

He popularized the turndown collar shirt with a dinner jacket. He was not responsible for the black bow tie.

Add Fair Isle sweaters, boater hats, glen checked suits, flannel chalk striped suits, backless dress waistcoats, and the tab collar shirt.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He also eschewed spats. After the Duke of Windsor appeared without spats at the Ascot, thousands of spats were found abandoned in the grass.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
He popularized the turndown collar shirt with a dinner jacket. He was not responsible for the black bow tie.

Add Fair Isle sweaters, boater hats, glen checked suits, flannel chalk striped suits, backless dress waistcoats, and the tab collar shirt.

No, it's a fact that the Duke was responsible for popularizing the wearing of a black bow with dinner dress. White bows were a holdover from Brummell's era of the heavily starched white cravats.

johninla

Reaction score
Speaking of 'Duke'... Is he the best dressed man of the century? Who else would be on the list?
Cary Grant

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla
Speaking of 'Duke'... Is he the best dressed man of the century? Who else would be on the list? Cary Grant
I'd say the Duke is probably tops. Others, off the top of my head...Agnelli, Cary Grant, Prince Charles, Fred Astaire, Gary Cooper, Noel Coward, Prince Philip in his younger days, Prince Michael of Kent. There are dozens more...

horton

Reaction score
Not sure if properly attributed to him, but what about the more predominant use of patterns. He seemed to be really into such

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He and his wife, Wallis, used to polish the soles of their shoes, in case they were photographed with their legs, crossed. Wallis dressed well, too . . . although she was into the latest and the greatest.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
However, the Duke of Windsor was an undeniably self-conscious person who tended to be a little too precious at times. He lacked the natural elan of say, Agnelli or ironically, the hauteur of Sir Cecil Beaton.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DukeandWally-WeddingDay.jpg

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
However, the Duke of Windsor was an undeniably self-conscious person who tended to be a little too precious at times. He lacked the natural elan of say, Agnelli or ironically, the hauteur of Sir Cecil Beaton.
Agree. Wallis may have contributed some, to the Duke's condition. She slapped him around in public, engaged in an 'affair' of sorts with Barbara Hutton's first cousin, and generally treated the Duke of Windsor, like garbage. Simpson never forgave the Duke for not being able to put her over, as Queen of England. Another, great love fest.
Horror099.gif

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're right. Wallis castrated him, in public. And, Hitler thought Wallis would make, 'the perfect queen.'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics