• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DSLR Discussion Threak (formerly Nikon D7000)

theguy

Reaction score
I had it for awhile but started having the "hot pixel" problem. Along with some shots having bad "backfocus" 2 problems for a new $1500 camera within a week was a turn off. I returned it and am still debating what to do. I am between the d7000 and the pentax k-5. Leaning more towards the k-5 since its a little smaller, very weather resistant, and has a little better image quality.
The k-5 has its problems too. Some people are complaining of oil on the sensors.
The only thing thats holding me back is I have alot of nikon glass.
I also just bought a new sigma dp2 which takes higher iq pics then both of these(but its fixed lens and slow, as well as ****** in low light)but it should keep me busy until the initial problems are fixed for both of these cameras.
Heres some pics from the d7000, dont get me wrong its an amazing camera.
The flower one is at 4000 iso, just to show you how good it does in low light.(these are all with the 18-105 lens also)

124969F4780044579C2A909CC4A4A05C.jpg

45731C43D3F64B24BF74A2EA49CCD32A.jpg

41D9D5DDBD804DD68E78B7A70538869C.jpg

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what i gather... sounds like a lot of RAW converters handle this too.

I'm looking for a new hobby and have always had an interest in photography. I've never owned an SLR but have used them on occasion. But I also have a habit of jumping in at the higher end... this would probably be overkill but I can't help myself
laugh.gif

Might be advisable to go a little cheaper and invest in glass... but from all the sample images and comparisons, for the price, this one's very attractive.

aizan

Reaction score
if this is a new hobby, i would recommend starting at the entry-level: nikon d3100 or pentax k-x. good thing is that both brands make inexpensive standard prime lenses for cropped sensors.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan
if this is a new hobby, i would recommend starting at the entry-level: nikon d3100 or pentax k-x. good thing is that both brands make inexpensive standard prime lenses for cropped sensors.

Thanks- likely the smart choice... though I am interested in full-frame...

aizan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Thanks- likely the smart choice... though I am interested in full-frame...

2011 is going to be a good year for full frame. lots of replacements expected:

nikon d800 and d4
canon 5dmkiii and 1dsmkiv
pentax and sony are maybes, and there are rumors about a new olympus super4/3 format to compete with full frame.

if you've been bitten with the full frame bug, comfort yourself with the knowledge that the market for entry level dslrs is being eaten away by mirrorless. likewise, the market for more advanced cropped sensor dslrs like the canon 7d, nikon d300, etc. is pushing for full frame.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Aizan-

Are you saying "wait" then if I really want full frame?

there are some good deals on the 3100 it seems + two lenses... maybe the way to go while I learn.

huy

Reaction score
Thanks Aizan-

there are some good deals on the 3100 it seems + two lenses... maybe the way to go while I learn.

The d3100 would be a great choice to start out with if you are new to photography. The d3100 has enough features to last for years or until you feel like an upgrade. Right now the street price is about half of the d7000 so that could be a major consideration. Whatever you choose, make sure you have enough money for good lenses.

I have a d7000 and it is a wonderful camera. Really good high iso and dynamic range. This is really a fantastic camera if you need/want all the features.

aizan

Reaction score
yeah. the current prosumer options aren't mature yet, being only first or second generation products. while the nikon d700 has unbeatable low light performance and almost everything a professional could wish for, the megapixel count is a comparatively low 12mp. meanwhile, the sony a900/a850 and canon 5dmkii are 24mp and 21mp, respectively. the bad news is that sony doesn't have a comprehensive system of lenses yet, and canon is dragging its heels when it comes to things like top of the line build quality and autofocus. the d3100's high iso performance is at the top of its class, so no worries there. i just wouldn't buy the more expensive and specialized lenses, which is basically anything with a depth-of-field scale (the little window). one of the best things about full frame is using fast prime lenses, so i would highly recommend getting the small, fast 35/1.8 dx to see if you like them. some aps-c and full frame dslrs may share a lens mount, but they're really best considered as semi-separate systems. if you start buying (expensive) cropped sensor lenses now, they're not going to cover full frame later. going in the other direction, full frame lenses are not exactly ideal when you put them on a cropped sensor body.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
canons problem isnt build quality by no means. canons are built like tanks. their problem is that outdated and meager autofocus system (on its non-pro models of course).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads