1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The dreaded odd navy pants... revisited

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, May 31, 2013.

1. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

Vox once said to me that he believes that a navy linen odd trousers could not be donned successfully with a coat and tie. I'm not sure if I agree with him, but I do feel that a navy linen odd trousers tends to work better in more casual settings.

2. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

I think the critical point here is that there are only a few occasions where substituting different pants for the navy ones wouldn't make the outfit look better.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Personally I'd be fine with a heavyish linen or a light-ish flannel in these circumstances, depending on the humidity, but ymmv.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

interesting. i do not usually wear my navy pants with a tie.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I wear them when painting my house.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

this, they look better without a jacket. no real combo, as vox said

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

:fu:

i would generally agree to this, but with a tan, brown or gray casual SC it can be quite nice imo.

8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Add gabardine to this (for the in-between weather), and subtract donegal, which I have no idea what to do with (two tweeds at once?) and I agree.

Related question: what the heck do you wear with donegal trousers? Of course, I could see them, in navy, with a sweater in an interesting color...

9. unbelragazzo

I've got a dark brown herringbone in the works that I think will work well with some light grey donegal trousers. Also sweaters or casual suede jackets on the wknd. There's no need to deviate from flannel if you'd rather not. I have I think 5 pairs of flannel trousers. The donegals that arrive with my herringbone SC will be my first.

10. unbelragazzo

But I don't see anything wrong with tweed on tweed. Cashmere SC would be good with donegal too.

1 person likes this.
  11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I could see cashmere or camel hair or some kind of soft solid, but I just think two hard-finished tweeds might not work for me. I haven't tried it, so of course I could be wrong, but the idea doesn't appeal in the same way that tweed/flannel or tweed/moleskin does. I guess if both tweeds were particularly refined, then it would work alright. The brown herringbone with the light gray donegal could be great, actually.

I wish I could go all flannel, but I think all moleskin would be more my speed.

12. in stitches

+1. seems fine to me.

also, i think it depends how speckled a donegal you are working with. i have two pairs, but they are solid enough that they work with a lot of SCs. tweed included.

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I really like linen odd trousers during the summer in several shades of blue (including navy), cream and tan. I never wear navy odd trousers in the fall / winter / spring.

14. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I think you're probably right about worsted. I have a few pairs that are probably worsted and I like them though. One's a semi-fresco in oxford gray that I only wear w/ a barong, and the other two are or resemble lightweight, worsted flannels, and those I wear w/ odd jackets.

To your list, I'd add fresco, corduroy, cavalry twill, and the aforementioned gabardine.

Regarding the OP, I had a pair of blue worsted pants made about 15 yrs ago and rarely wore them. Blue chinos from places like Carhartt and Ben Sherman certainly have their place in a casual/workman's wardrobe. I agree that linen is prob. the best candidate for CM wear. I have a pair as part of a suit, but I've never worn them w/ an odd jacket. Can't think of an odd jacket I wouldwear them w/... Maybe off-white cotton or linen or cotton/linen blend. Even less likely, maybe fresco. But I don't think they'd go very well. In fact, I don't know if I'm a big fan of linen pants of any color worn w/ odd jackets.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  15. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I agree on navy linens or chinos sans jacket in summer. A strong and classic look.

I used to get a lot of wear out of a pair of navy chinos in spring/autumn with green or brown tweed odd jackets. Even if the shades were close, the difference of the colour and texture created sufficient contrast.

16. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Tropical wool?

17. in stitches

WEARING NAVY PENTS TODAY!!

18. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Report for re-education immediately.

19. Goodman

Goodman Senior member

I'm also wearing navy pants today. Would report for re-education but that implies some form of previous education which apparently does not apply to me.

20. in stitches

i love navy pents. they are a staple for me. haters can eat my dingleberries.