• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Door

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this just because I'm excited to read people's replies to various statements and/or picture involved here... I'm already chuckling with anticipating to people's reactions. Now that I set the bar, on to the topic:

This showed up in my inbox. A Q&A w/ the doorman at the night club Marquee in NYC:

January 10, 2007

THE DOOR
Marquee: Wass

ABMMF2YKZ7Door_-_Wass.jpg

Wass at Marquee A spot is only as good as its door"”or the professional blocking it. Hence THE DOOR, an inside guide to the keepers of New York's most exclusive doors...because you need to know who's there.

~QUICK STATS~
DOOR: Marquee
NAME: Wass Stevens
SHIFT: Tues-Sat
HEIGHT: 5' 10"
WEIGHT: Middle weight
UNIFORM: Brioni jacket and tie, custom-made Ron & Ron suit, handmade Italian driving gloves, Bettanin & Venturi shoes
HOMETOWN: Brooklyn
FORMER DOORS: Every club in New York over the past two decades at one time or another
FAVORITE BOOK: Anything Harry Potter, Burrows or Bukowski
PETS: A three-pound, long-haired Chihuahua

~THE FACTS~
REJECTION RATE: It's probably holding steady at 70%. Put it this way, they clocked my rejections one night over the summer and it was over 4,600 no's. That is a lot of no's.

REQUIRED GIRL/GUY RATIO: 70/30. It's always better to have more women in a room. But it's never better to have a glut of tacky, unattractive women. There are more women with heinous style in New York than men.

DOOR PHILOSOPHY: I'd rather the club be fierce and slow than packed and disgusting.

LARGEST BRIBE REJECTED: A car. Someone once offered me their Range Rover...a new one.

BIGGEST SUSTAINED INJURY: I was in the hospital for five days because I knocked a guy's teeth out. My hand got infected from a part of the tooth which lodged in the tendon of my middle knuckle. That is why I wear gloves now. I will not work even in the hottest days of summer without a pair of gloves.

AUTOMATIC DQ'S: Women with their t*ts hanging out, really short skirts, midriff exposed. I hate that...be tasteful. Don't come up to my rope looking like a hooker trying to find a trick in my club.

AUTOMATIC ENTRIES: There is never a definite...ever. I've turned away friends, celebrities, investors.

CLOTHING DON'TS: Trucker hats are done. Anything with rhinestones and sequins, baseball hats and anything Ed Hardy is so done. Untucked dress shirts are a huge pet peeve.

BEST LINE TO USE: "Hi. We are not on the guest list, but is it okay if we come in?" Be honest. Don't try to bullsh*t me.

WORST LINE TO USE: "I am a good friend of Wass."

WHAT YOU DO WHEN YOU'RE NOT AT THE DOOR: I am an actor. I just finished working on the season finale of The Black Donnellys. It will be a mid-season replacement on NBC. I have a movie coming out called A New Wave, and World Trade Center is coming out on DVD.

WE'VE HEARD YOU HAVE A THING ABOUT FEET: Correct. There is nothing worse than a pair of busted feet on a woman. A woman who puts on a pair of strappy heels and doesn't have a proper pedicure...I can't let that in.

THE KIND OF A CROWD THAT MAKES GOOD FILLER: I love European tourists as a filler crowd. I don't have a problem with a well-dressed couple from Brussels. I don't have a problem with six well-dressed people from France. They add something to the room and Europeans are a lot of fun. They are not as concerned with posing. New Yorkers pose.

Marquee, 289 10th Ave (between 26th and 27th), 646-473-0202, marqueeny.com

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you can't see the end of his tie with a windsor that big and I believe you could use his lapels as a handglider in emergency situations. I'll go for the obvious, guys like him are why I hate clubbing.

A

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being unfamiliar with Ron & Ron, I googled them:

With a love of fashion kindled during their youth, twin brothers Ronald and Rony Delice are igniting the runways, and men's fashion, with their edgy designs.

In 1997, the Haitian-born brothers founded Ron & Ron, a designer clothing and accessories label that features topstitching, fat-knot ties, and red buttonholes--elements that have become the brother's trademark. "Fashion is in our blood," says Ronald, whose father worked as a tailor in Haiti and whose mother was a seamstress in New York City. "It just comes naturally."

Remaining optimistic, the brothers are focused on their fall 2003 line--a "totally different look," says Ronald--that will feature tone-on-tone colors, matching shirts and suits, and striped ties. "A man's suit is a classic. There are some things you don't change," says Ronald. "We have fun, but [our clothes] are always, always classy."
Mmm, classy.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine I'm in the minority here, but I really like the Ron & Ron aesthetic.

I don't own any pieces, but I'd like to. Looks like fun.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the nicest people I know are doormen.

Are you reading this, Dominic?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I don't think so..
plain.gif

And what the hell is that tie made of?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I don't think so..
plain.gif

And what the hell is that tie made of? It looks plastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads