• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DJ Thread

makker

Reaction score
Just wondering if any SFs host any nights or parties by DJing, playing some nice house grooves? Would like to know if there are any others here besides me.

In general if there are some, would be good to share our experience and knowledge of the scene.

Pinhas

Reaction score
I dont DJ much anymore but still very much into house music, and have freinds who DJ's. What kind of House are you into?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do some Baltimore DIY stuff. Not house though.

makker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pinhas
I dont DJ much anymore but still very much into house music, and have freinds who DJ's. What kind of House are you into?

I'm mostly into electro, tech and progressive house, the first one being my fave.

kruze

Reaction score
I used to dj back in Mass. Usually disco polo and electro was my thing.

phildo

Reaction score
I'd like to learn but have been too lazy to try and read about it and learn on my own.

makker

Reaction score
The thing that sucks the most is the cost of the equipment. Unless you know someone, its essential to practise with the physical stuff and learn, but paying lets say for 2 CDJs and a mixer is easily over 1000 dollars.

Seanallen

Reaction score
I Dj Electro/house at my own house parties, Ive been doing some production too but really some basic club stuff I can use as catchy fillers. I live in a smaller city which hasn't had too many local band shows lately so Im looking at trying to throw an electronic thing soon.

Right now just Virtual DJ and a USB mixer controller. Hoping one day to get a great set of pioneer tables and such when the money is right.

BP348

Reaction score
You guys have sugesstions on where to buy House CD's? Or where to find it on the web?

If anyone's interested in Chicago House check out, dancefactory.com not active during the day but plays live after 9PM.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I did in the mediterranean coast, Deep house, soulful and chicago detroit techno.
I booked Mills, Plastikman , Surgeon and some of the big ones time ago.

I even got a TR- 909 signed by Jeff .

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long-time DJ, ex-rave/club promoter, and finally getting into serious music production (now that it's all primarily software and very little hardware).

In my opinion, everything about the scene for the past 10 years has been pretty depressing. Can't throw raves anymore, all the good clubs have been shut down, and producers aren't getting money for tracks because everybody is hotfiling or torrenting them for free. This has lead to producers who never could have DJ'ed 10 years ago without computerized beat-matching assistance finding that now they don't need learn that skill. So they look for their bread and butter in what's become an already over-saturated (and shrinking) DJ market.

In the late 90's I used to make $500 spinning for an hour or two at a club or a rave and now I'd be lucky to pull in a quarter of that because technology has de-mystified the DJ by allowing anybody to match beats and possess a nearly bottomless record collection. Granted a lot of skill still has to go into track selection, blending, EQing, etc., but that doesn't stop everybody from being a bedroom DJ who, with a little persistence, can worm their way into a weekly local gig for $50-100.

Technology has definitely been a two-edged sword here. It has made DJing and producing with a laptop set-up much more affordable than purchasing 1200's, a mixer, speakers, needles, and vinyl EP's which averaged $10-$12 a pop. However, it was those same high costs that kept the number of DJ's and producers down to an acceptable event : DJ ratio. Now anybody can do it. The learning curve has also diminished with the number of internet resources available and the instant beat match feature found in DJ software.

So now there's no more having to practice for hours and hours at the tables to try and keep from sounding like shoes bouncing around in a dryer. No more scraping together a hundred bucks to grab 10 records down a the record shop (they're $2.50 now on Beatport). No more wondering if the guy at Guitar Center is going to give you a good interest rate on that MPC or Virus synth you need for producing because you can rip Ableton off the internet for free now along with virtually any sample library or VST you'd ever want.

All of these things are now accessible to the plebes and it has killed the DJ/producer persona that was created in 1990's. There was something magical about going to club or a rave and watching your favorite DJ take command of an entire dance floor with just some turntables, some records, and a mixer. They were half entertainer and half human computer. Their track selection had to be on point and their technical ability to beatmatch, EQ, and blend had to be seamless. They were esteemed because of these abilities but technology has mostly sterilized those things today.

Now, you go to a club and see guys staring at laptops and while admittedly that it is much easier than carrying a 50 lb flight case full of vinyl, the mysticism just isn't there for me anymore. It's just a dude pointing and clicking on different tracks. There's no look of intense concentration on their faces as they try and line those beats up for that three minute blend. There's no smirk on their face as they pull that white label out of their crate, knowing that all the heads in the place are going to swarm the booth to try and find out what the name of that track is chicken scratched on the label. It's all been sanitized. Now anybody with a little bit of knowledge can sound like a pro and that's kind of sad. It was always nice to go to a rave and hear a really ****** DJ who could barely beatmatch because you knew (as well as everybody else) that this was a profession that required a special set of skills and was reserved for only those who knew the craft. Now that skillset has been made obsolete.

So, in my opinion, the first nail to be driven into the coffin of the DJ was when Prometheus came back from Olympus with beat-matching technology. The second nail was vinyl moving to CD to mp3 and the third nail was too many good venues shutting down.

This said, I am glad that software advances have made producing more accessible because the market is much broader than the DJ one, but until pirating is curbed, it will never be a lucrative one.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but that's my two cents on it. Any of the younger guys on here (I'm 32) who are just now getting into DJing, I'm sorry you weren't old enough to see a DJ like Derrick Carter or Mark Farina do their thing in the 90's. Truly an experience.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Yes I did in the mediterranean coast, Deep house, soulful and chicago detroit techno.
I booked Mills, Plastikman , Surgeon and some of the big ones time ago.

I even got a TR- 909 signed by Jeff .

Hey, I know Jeff. Did you know he's got his own clothing line he's operating in Chicago? It's called Gamma Player. http://www.gammaplayer.com/

A friend of mine was actually his personal assistant while he got it all set up.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by burningbright
Hey, I know Jeff. Did you know he's got his own clothing line he's operating in Chicago? It's called Gamma Player. http://www.gammaplayer.com/

A friend of mine was actually his personal assistant while he got it all set up.

Oh really ? What I can say you is that we payed him 18.000 euros for a session around 12 years ago.

I borrowed him my TR. he must be millionaire. My master is Robert Hood, you must know him either.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spin at home just for fun, on a pair of old 1200s and a dated vinyl collection. Mostly electro and IDM, though I like to make some drum and bass mixes from time to time.

I agree that it's a shame that technology has advanced such that everybody now thinks he is a laptop DJ, without even knowing how to beat match.

About 15 years ago I got into production and put together a small bedroom studio, making experimental techno, acid, and electro. I didn't even use a software sequencer -- just old drum machines (606/808/909/etc.) and analog synths (Roland, Moog, Korg, etc.). I made a ton of tracks but never did have anything released on vinyl. All of that equipment is long-gone now, but I had a load of fun with it.

Pinhas

Reaction score
In NYC the scene sort of died as well; the music oriented clubs mostly closed or re-branded themselves as bottle service and are full of d-bags and plastic.

Still a few decent clubs left though; Cielo, Sullivan Room, Shelter, Santos Party House..

The days of Arc, Tunnel, SF, LimeLight, etc are forever gone
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads