• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Dillemma

pitboss12

Reaction score
Question for those that shop for deadstock / vintage items:

Suppose you pick up some stunningly beautiful workwear still new with tags dating back to 40s to 60s on E-bay for $20. Do you 1) rip off the tags and wear it cause it is freakin amazing or 2) Keep all the tags intact and treat it like a museum piece knowing that you have a part of history and take comfort that Engineered Garments will probably have something like it sooner or later?

I don't have anything but I saw some stuff today that made me wonder. I really don't know what the hell I'd do.

wiru

Reaction score
is there actually stuff with tags on ebay? unfortunately, most of the stuff that is rare or beautiful seems to fetch a price. especially if it's a wearable size.

but to answer your question, leaving stuff with tags on or in the original packaging is for action figure collectors. i would wear it, but carefully.

really though, i'd prefer stuff that's intact but worn. wear through use is visibly different from wear through enzyme wash, and i don't wear many items long or hard enough to get the same look as vintage gear. for example, i have an acquaintance who's worn the same pair of red wings for 20 years. the only way i can get that kind of look is to a) wait till i'm almost 50 or b) buy something used.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If it fit me, I'd cut the tags off and save them, and then wear it. If it didn't, I'd either resell it or give it to someone who would love it and wear it. I don't need to run a clothing museum (though some would already say I do)

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear it, it's a waste otherwise.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I used to buy a lot of high end 40s/50s vintage

you wear it. and hand wash, flat dry

and the great thing about good vintage is I've bought a shirt for $250 and resold it a few years later for $250

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 281 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • 31 - 40