• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

Webbo

Reaction score
My favorite chukka model are Alden's unlined chukka boot, but I find that the leydon last is just too narrow even at an E. So I'm looking for an alternative on the same level of quality with a similar rounded toe (not chisled like the Loake Pimlico or Edward Green models) either with a leather sole or dainite. What other makers out there produce a similar looking boot? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Meermin do an unlined chukka that might be what you are looking for

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have seen a member post some nice Meermin chukka’s a few times on the boot thread, they look impressive and are quite good value.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite chukka model are Alden's unlined chukka boot, but I find that the leydon last is just too narrow even at an E. So I'm looking for an alternative on the same level of quality with a similar rounded toe (not chisled like the Loake Pimlico or Edward Green models) either with a leather sole or dainite. What other makers out there produce a similar looking boot? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Loake Kempton has a rounder toe than the Pimlico

trg12

Reaction score

Frans Boone also have a range of Barrie-lasted suede chukkas. Unlined snuff on Barrie I've only seen at B&M.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few options that were suggested to me here that seem to fit those requirements.

Indeed. Thank you kindly for those. Great options.

Brick & Mortar sell a version of the snuff chukka boot on Barrie last with crepe soles. Not unlike traditional desert boots. You might see if they have a pair in your size. I was there last weekend and I really liked the look of them. Alternatively John lofgren makes extremely nice desert boots too, and they are not narrow.
Finally for a pair more like traditional chukkas, I have a pair of C&J chilterns that are excellent and I would recommend to anyone.

Nice! Had no idea that anyone offered an Alden chukka in the barrie last, looks like they do on their site! Even with a leather sole, very cool. Also thanks for introducing me to John Lofgren, damn...those are nice. Had not heard of that name before.

Made in Mallorca...huh. Wonder if there's any relationship to Carmina? Nice boots actually, and a hell of a lot cheaper than these Aldens which cost me a fortune.

Loake Kempton has a rounder toe than the Pimlico

Indeed it does. Hard to find that model it seems.

Frans Boone also have a range of Barrie-lasted suede chukkas. Unlined snuff on Barrie I've only seen at B&M.

Yeah, they certainly do! Thank you for the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it.

MusicMatt97

Reaction score
Ordered a used pair of Edward Green Cherwell’s in mink suede today. Can’t wait for them to come in and share them with you all.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes those are nice. but sizing can be a slight challenge because the unlined suedeon barrie seems to fit slightly more snug than teh barrie shell chukkas (which might be a good thing if the shell chukas are too roomy for you)

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My waxed Kudu boots, which arrived this morning. Incredibly light and made of one of my favourite leathers, by Jadd. Covered with natural scratches and a marked pull up effect.

1623317653647.png

1623317742254.png

MusicMatt97

Reaction score
Here are the boots I teased about earlier: Edward Green Cherwell's in mink suede.

Front, staircased.jpeg

I bought these pre-owned from Skoaktiebolaget's website (from Patrick Löf's personal collection) without any prior knowledge on how EG's lasts fit me. The price and condition of the shoes were too good to pass on, so I took the gamble. And it paid off; they fit incredibly well!

The make up is really nice: thin but sturdy rubber sole; long, sleek yet un-offensive last that feels great on my foot; soft, fine, supple yet substantial suede in a perfect dark brown; glove interior-like lining leather throughout with a thicker, textured leather (kind of like peccary?) at key stress points; and incredibly fine stitching all throughout. I'm extremely happy with them!

Side view.jpg

Back.jpg

Better sole shot.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads