• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the astorflex. I assume from pics the welt and sole make them too casual for wearing with grey flannel trousers (even in the darkest brown suede). True?

Possibly, but you never know. I have worn them with chino's and like that combination.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possibly, but you never know. I have worn them with chino's and like that combination.

I wish the Drake's version with the dark welt/edging was standard. It would be a no brainer at regular astorflex prices.

dangerous

Reaction score
20210401_172325-jpg.1585415

Posting my favourite picture of my favourite chukkas. Enzo Bonafé in bison nubuck.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish the Drake's version with the dark welt/edging was standard. It would be a no brainer at regular astorflex prices.

I have got the Whiskey Astorflex Greenflex. It is quite a light brown - although it doesn't seem to photograph very well and looks different on different internet sites. Also, mine do have the darkened edges. You really can't go wrong with these boots. They are hugely comfortable and incredibly well priced. I wear them with jeans or chinos. I also have these boots in navy. Exactly the same quality and finish but possibly a bit more difficult to pair with other items. I do wear them with grey jeans though.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have got the Whiskey Astorflex Greenflex. It is quite a light brown - although it doesn't seem to photograph very well and looks different on different internet sites. Also, mine do have the darkened edges. You really can't go wrong with these boots. They are hugely comfortable and incredibly well priced. I wear them with jeans or chinos. I also have these boots in navy. Exactly the same quality and finish but possibly a bit more difficult to pair with other items. I do wear them with grey jeans though.

This is the one I'm looking at

I still think it's probably too casual to wear with grey flannels and a sport coat, compared to something like this

I'm happy to be persuaded otherwise though.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the one I'm looking at

I still think it's probably too casual to wear with grey flannels and a sport coat, compared to something like this

I'm happy to be persuaded otherwise though.
The Greenflex is what it's known as a “Desert Boot”: casual, with crepe soles; on the other hand the Cheaney Jackie is a proper “Chukka Boot”, more structured, Dainite sole and somehow more formal. I would wear the Jackie with grey flannels and a sport coat without problem.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Greenflex is what it's known as a “Desert Boot”: casual, with crepe soles; on the other hand the Cheaney Jackie is a proper “Chukka Boot”, more structured, Dainite sole and somehow more formal. I would wear the Jackie with grey flannels and a sport coat without problem.

Yep, I get the difference. I agree the Jackie is a no brainer with tailored clothes. I happen to really like the Greenflex too but it's not worth getting just to wear casually so I keep debating whether I could stretch it and wear with flannels, etc.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I get the difference. I agree the Jackie is a no brainer with tailored clothes. I happen to really like the Greenflex too but it's not worth getting just to wear casually so I keep debating whether I could stretch it and wear with flannels, etc.
Bear in mind that there are lots of sites on the net that will allow you to compare different colours of boots/shoes with trousers/pants. Many say that brown will go with most colours and that has been my experience.

Desert boots are never going to be formal but I don't find anything wrong with mixing it up a bit, sometimes. Certainly worth a try, given the price and quality of Astorflex. Even if you ended up wearing them as knock-about, weekend shoes. Have a look, too, at Jadd Shoes. A great range of shoes, desert boots and hi top boots, made to order and of incredible quality. Jadd's are certainly the best desert boots I have ever had.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking of Jadd boots, I am currently waiting for a few weeks, for a pair of these, limited edition, CF Stead, waxed Kudu boots. I will take a post a 'live' photo of them when they are on my feet. I have seen the leather and it looks fabulous. As with all Jadd's boots, these are Made to Order.

1622667772096.png

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking of Jadd boots, I am currently waiting for a few weeks, for a pair of these, limited edition, CF Stead, waxed Kudu boots. I will take a post a 'live' photo of them when they are on my feet. I have seen the leather and it looks fabulous. As with all Jadd's boots, these are Made to Order.

View attachment 1619283

Love those, the waxed kudu looks interesting and the wedge sole should be comfy.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite chukka model are Alden's unlined chukka boot, but I find that the leydon last is just too narrow even at an E. So I'm looking for an alternative on the same level of quality with a similar rounded toe (not chisled like the Loake Pimlico or Edward Green models) either with a leather sole or dainite. What other makers out there produce a similar looking boot? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite chukka model are Alden's unlined chukka boot, but I find that the leydon last is just too narrow even at an E. So I'm looking for an alternative on the same level of quality with a similar rounded toe (not chisled like the Loake Pimlico or Edward Green models) either with a leather sole or dainite. What other makers out there produce a similar looking boot? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There are a few options that were suggested to me here that seem to fit those requirements.

slows2k

Reaction score

Brick & Mortar sell a version of the snuff chukka boot on Barrie last with crepe soles. Not unlike traditional desert boots. You might see if they have a pair in your size. I was there last weekend and I really liked the look of them. Alternatively John lofgren makes extremely nice desert boots too, and they are not narrow.
Finally for a pair more like traditional chukkas, I have a pair of C&J chilterns that are excellent and I would recommend to anyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads