• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Timebrland Wodehouse Chukka, I like the aesthetic, comfort, and supple yet distressed feel of the leather. No one here shares those, so I’m assuming I could do better (they’re not Goodyear Welted for one).
what do you guys think of those? I’ll have to buy a new one next year and wondering what could be a better buy with the same characteristics and design
Those are nice comfortable looking desert/chukka boots and you have clearly enjoyed wearing them. Boots that have been thoroughly worn always look good.

If you wanted to upgrade, you might want to consider Red Wing? They have a range of boots that you might like and I have heard very good reports of them. Astorflex also do leather boots, as well as very good suede ones.

A lot, if not most, desert boots have a stitchdown construction rather than being Goodyear welted. There is nothing at all wrong with this.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
I love my Timebrland Wodehouse Chukka, I like the aesthetic, comfort, and supple yet distressed feel of the leather. No one here shares those, so I’m assuming I could do better (they’re not Goodyear Welted for one).
what do you guys think of those? I’ll have to buy a new one next year and wondering what could be a better buy with the same characteristics and design

Are they split at the back of the boot or did you add that yourself for comfort reasons?

Regardless, it gives it a unique look.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
CCE6B40D-3F44-421C-AE8A-193C38145109.jpeg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would agree with @Munky on Red Wing and Astorflex.

I have both although my Red wing Chukka’s are the “Work Chukka” model whereas if you want a similar look to your Timberlands I would suggest the weekender Chukka from red wing.

57518D12-A70E-431B-B82C-891547CC2B7D.jpeg

c0de

Reaction score
I would agree with @Munky on Red Wing and Astorflex.

I have both although my Red wing Chukka’s are the “Work Chukka” model whereas if you want a similar look to your Timberlands I would suggest the weekender Chukka from red wing.

View attachment 1612480

Wonderful suggestion, I would have preferred a little lower, but this might work just fine! Thanks!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Veg re-tanned Jadd boots in 'rust' (a much deeper and brighter colour, in the flesh). You have to put up with the crappy quality of my photos, for a while. I am still getting used to my first ever smartphone. iPhones are supposed to be able to do high quality photos. Well, mine doesn't. Thank you. :(

1622037427143.png

Last edited:

leparrain7

Reaction score
Veg re-tanned Jadd boots in 'rust' (a much deeper and brighter colour, in the flesh). You have to put up with the crappy quality of my photos, for a while. I am still getting used to my first ever smartphone. iPhones are supposed to be able to do high quality photos. Well, mine doesn't. Thank you. :(

View attachment 1615791
for a smartphone, believe me, the photo is more than correct ??

well I come back to you to share my great disappointment following the reception of the Hi-top at Sanders, the idiots got the size wrong by confusing 9 us with a 9 uk ??
A9E7A727-7635-45D9-BC45-17E4D0C02633.jpeg

6F6C0002-5D3C-4D86-9493-FE58E74AB568.jpeg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well I come back to you to share my great disappointment following the reception of the Hi-top at Sanders, the idiots got the size wrong by confusing 9 us with a 9 uk ?? View attachment 1616002
View attachment 1616003
That is really annoying. I'm sorry to hear it and hope it can be resolved quickly.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well I come back to you to share my great disappointment following the reception of the Hi-top at Sanders, the idiots got the size wrong by confusing 9 us with a 9 uk ?? View attachment 1616002
View attachment 1616003

Absolutely agree @Munky’s photo is fine.

Real shame about that mix up. Are they going to sort it for you?

The grey suede looks nice

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iPhones are supposed to be able to do high quality photos. Well, mine doesn't. Thank you. :(
You have multiple adjustments in your iPhone camera that allow to manage quite a bit the final result: I recommend you to play with them to see what they can do and get used to their possibilities. On the other hand, high quality photos are not just on the camera, they mostly depend on the eye of the photographer and how to pull of light and composition. With practice, you certainly will improve on your skills.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads