• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

leparrain7

Reaction score
Knowing that every feet are a world, my experience is what I wrote before in this thread, even though not everyone might agree with it.

These are mine, which are different from the one posted by @Johnniegold

sanders-hitop-jpg.1482961

63F694BF-7530-4C60-A545-9C737EF4B2FF.jpeg
thank you for your answers, it's true that it looks lower like last, well, I'm between 8.5 and 9 and I ordered a 9 yesterday, we'll see what happens ...

Johnniegold

Reaction score
How is the fit on the Hi-tops at Sanders? should you take a size smaller or stay true to your size?

As @Mercurio indicated, I am wearing a different model shoe. While he is wearing the Hi-Top, I am wearing the Luther model, both made by Sanders.

There are subtle nuances between the two but the one that would impact sizing would be the toe box area. The Hi-Top has a more tapered look while the Luther has a more rounded toe box which provides for a roomier fit.

Here are the different two models:

2B48F738-B151-47F5-9847-AD5A841663E6.jpeg
742018D5-F999-4A61-B6EE-2196109C2EFB.jpeg

If you are familiar with Alden sizing and their various lasts then think Barrie last (Luther) as opposed to the Aberdeen last (Hi-Top).

Conventional wisdom says to go up a half-size in the Hi-Top for reasons as indicated by @Kingstonian.

With the roomier Luther model, that half-size more may prove to be a tad too roomy so TTS may be just right.

Good luck with your order. You should be fine.

Speaking to the Luther model, I can say that it is a comfortable chukka that I enjoy wearing and the unique bumper outsole gives it that distinctive playboy style, coupled with the polo snuff suede, well... IMO, it’s just cool, man. ???

Last edited:

leparrain7

Reaction score
As @Mercurio indicated, I am wearing a different model shoe. While he is wearing the Hi-Top, I am wearing the Luther model, both made by Sanders.

There are subtle nuances between the two but the one that would impact sizing would be the toe box area. The Hi-Top has a more tapered look while the Luther has a more rounded toe box which provides for a roomier fit.

View attachment 1608496 View attachment 1608497

If you are familiar with Alden sizing and their various lasts then think Barrie last (Luther) as opposed to the Aberdeen last (Hi-Top).

Conventional wisdom says to go up a half-size in the Hi-Top for reasons as indicated by @Kingstonian.

With the roomier Luther model, that half-size more may prove to be a tad too roomy so TTS may be just right.

Speaking to the Luther model, I can say that it is a comfortable chukka that I enjoy wearing and the unique bumper outsole gives it that distinctive playboy style, coupled with the polo snuff suede, well... IMO, it’s just cool, man. ???
thank you for your very detailed answer.
it's clear that I thought it was a Hi-top ?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1608496 View attachment 1608497

Can’t argue with that!

Dadacantona

Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the Sanders Japan hi-top model is noticeably rounder in the toe. Might be an option for anyone looking at the hi-top but wants more room.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the Sanders Japan hi-top model is noticeably rounder in the toe. Might be an option for anyone looking at the hi-top but wants more room.

Thanks for that. Very interesting.

It’s like Sanders took the shape of the Luther toe box and put it on the Hi Top.

A common statement about the Hi Top is that narrow fit in the toe box.

emptym

Reaction score
All I need are loafers and chukkas. The chukkas:
IMG_9579.jpeg

Top: DW Frommer George boots (higher quarters than a chukka) in water buffalo, Vass F last chukkas, DW Frommer in shell
Bottom: LP Open Walks, Rider Boot RBCB1 in #6 (though much darkened over 13 yrs), AS for BB desert boots (dyed w/ Angelus gray, brown and light blue)

c0de

Reaction score
I love my Timebrland Wodehouse Chukka, I like the aesthetic, comfort, and supple yet distressed feel of the leather. No one here shares those, so I’m assuming I could do better (they’re not Goodyear Welted for one).
what do you guys think of those? I’ll have to buy a new one next year and wondering what could be a better buy with the same characteristics and design

Attachments

• 9EAB9DF5-60B6-42A1-B6C7-C51F22A9BC26.jpeg
    9EAB9DF5-60B6-42A1-B6C7-C51F22A9BC26.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 79

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics