• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed today that Astorflex have a model slightly reminiscent of the Sanders hi top.

209FD02B-41AB-45EE-A866-6C356ECC51CA.jpeg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sole is more of a sneaker style but I personally quite like them.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just arrived this very nice pair of chukkas from Cobbler Union, maybe the best chukkas I own. Since my feet are bulky due to my daily running, pointy toe boxes are avoided.

The Utah leather looks great, the quilted heel cup show lots of attention to detail and the red linning adds some joy. There are 4 holes (brogues?) on the side that gives some additional visual interest to a very versatile boot.

Brand: Cobbler Union
Model: Chukka / Brown Utah
Last: 312
Welt: 360
Sole: Dainite

View attachment 1596765 View attachment 1596766 View attachment 1596767 View attachment 1596768 View attachment 1596769 View attachment 1596770

These are beautiful boots. They kind of remind me of those Carmina reindeer boots that were a giant fiasco for Kirby, which I wanted but I: 1. Can't fit into most Carminas. 2. Am glad I didn't buy, because again, fiasco.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They kind of remind me of those Carmina reindeer boots that were a giant crapshow for Kirby.
@JFWR Does it ever cross your mind to show any tact or sensitivity before you post? Sometimes, your rudeness seems to know no bounds. Try - if you can - to imagine that someone has posted something they are really happy about and then you wade in with your negative comments. What value does that add to this thread or to the person to whom you are referring? A bit of empathy and a certain loss of ego wouldn't go amiss. Opinions are one thing; rudeness is quite another.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JFWR Does it ever cross your mind to show any tact or sensitivity before you post? Sometimes, your rudeness seems to know no bounds. Try - if you can - to imagine that someone has posted something they are really happy about and then you wade in with your negative comments. What value does that add to this thread or to the person to whom you are referring? A bit of empathy and a certain loss of ego wouldn't go amiss. Opinions are one thing; rudeness is quite another.

Munky, you've misinterpreted my intent here. I was not attempting at all here being rude. The comparison was actually meant to be nice: the shoes are lovely! The only thing I was referencing was that the reindeer boot fiasco was a big problem for Kirby Allison.

Given I was not at all clear, it was my fault and I apologize, but please know it was not my intent to be rude.

I've edited the post to show that. I had also initially liked the boots with the like function, so I thought it would be understood.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that shade of blue. I’m sure you will get some Elvis references!
Ah! Elvis covered it but it was a Carl Perkins' composition and hit! An interesting colour, though, sort of a cross between navy and indigo.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the Alden's, what would you all recommend for a pair of dark suede chukkas that could be worn with tailoring as well as chinos/corduroys?

heelguy

Reaction score
Aside from the Alden's, what would you all recommend for a pair of dark suede chukkas that could be worn with tailoring as well as chinos/corduroys?
Crockett and Jones has a number of dark brown suede versions including the Tetbury.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads