• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heschung GENET

110D0738-897E-4306-8D39-0A308C1AA6A6.jpeg

Johnniegold

Reaction score
I see Huckberry has significantly reduced the price on some of the Astorflex Greenflex boots. It’s a good value at the non-sale price and a steal at the sale price.

I’m fighting the urge just to buy a pair at that price. But if you’re thinking of this boot, and you like the colors being offered, now might be a good time.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just arrived this very nice pair of chukkas from Cobbler Union, maybe the best chukkas I own. Since my feet are bulky due to my daily running, pointy toe boxes are avoided.

The Utah leather looks great, the quilted heel cup show lots of attention to detail and the red linning adds some joy. There are 4 holes (brogues?) on the side that gives some additional visual interest to a very versatile boot.

Brand: Cobbler Union
Model: Chukka / Brown Utah
Last: 312
Welt: 360
Sole: Dainite

IMG_4605.JPG
IMG_4607.JPG
IMG_4609.JPG
IMG_4610.JPG
IMG_4611.JPG
IMG_4612.JPG

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just arrived this very nice pair of chukkas from Cobbler Union, maybe the best chukkas I own. Since my feet are bulky due to my daily running, pointy toe boxes are avoided.

The Utah leather looks great, the quilted heel cup show lots of attention to detail and the red linning adds some joy. There are 4 holes (brogues?) on the side that gives some additional visual interest to a very versatile boot.

View attachment 1596765 View attachment 1596766 View attachment 1596767 View attachment 1596768 View attachment 1596769 View attachment 1596770

Those are very nice! I like the unusual details and have always liked the look of utah leather.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1596765 View attachment 1596766 View attachment 1596767 View attachment 1596768 View attachment 1596769 View attachment 1596770

that’s a very pretty boot.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a rare weather change to warm, here in the UK, it is ideal weather for desert boots. I have been wearing my Jadd CXL natural boots, his ox reverse suede and my Astorflex Greenflex a lot. All great boots and great value, too.

WayneLyndon

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a problem with Astorfelx Greenflex sizing, perhaps somebody could be of help:

My right foot is 27,5cm long, my left foot is 28,5cm long with a tad lower instep.

Astorflex runs in full sizes only.

Right now I'm using 44, or 10UK.

Left, the longer foot is ok in there, right foot is still adjusting, wanting to go all the way forward, but the empty space behind the heel is pulling the foot backwards.

My question is about the sizes:

- in front of my left, the longer foot is 1cm extra space, while the right foot has 2cm extra.

How does the size 43 or 9UK compare to 44 or 10UK in reality? I googled only one sizing chart of Astorflex and it says 43/9UK is 27,5 while 44/10UK is 28,5.

I think if I were to try 43/9UK the shorter foot would be perfect but the longer foot would have almost zero extra space in the front.

In Nike/New balance sneakers 28,5 (or 285) sits best though ( = the best compromise for both feet).

Does anyone know the differences between these two sizes? Anyone bought a tad small size and has experiences how the shoe stretches in time? Would be a great help. Shame that Astorflex doesn't seem to make half sizes. I should perhaps try the Drake's version, but it would be costly.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a bit of a problem with Astorfelx Greenflex sizing, perhaps somebody could be of help:

My right foot is 27,5cm long, my left foot is 28,5cm long with a tad lower instep.

Astorflex runs in full sizes only.

Right now I'm using 44, or 10UK.

Left, the longer foot is ok in there, right foot is still adjusting, wanting to go all the way forward, but the empty space behind the heel is pulling the foot backwards.

My question is about the sizes:

- in front of my left, the longer foot is 1cm extra space, while the right foot has 2cm extra.

How does the size 43 or 9UK compare to 44 or 10UK in reality? I googled only one sizing chart of Astorflex and it says 43/9UK is 27,5 while 44/10UK is 28,5.

I think if I were to try 43/9UK the shorter foot would be perfect but the longer foot would have almost zero extra space in the front.

In Nike/New balance sneakers 28,5 (or 285) sits best though ( = the best compromise for both feet).

Does anyone know the differences between these two sizes? Anyone bought a tad small size and has experiences how the shoe stretches in time? Would be a great help. Shame that Astorflex doesn't seem to make half sizes. I should perhaps try the Drake's version, but it would be costly.

I’m not really sure is the honest answer but I would imagine they have a bit of give with being quite soft materials. If your toe was at the end then that is unlikely to work however.

I would imagine Jadd desert boots would be a good option in your case as he would actually make the boots to your sizing and account for the difference in length.

This will be more expensive than Astorflex but cheaper than Drakes and from what I have heard should be superior to both in fit and quality.

WayneLyndon

Reaction score
I would imagine Jadd desert boots would be a good option in your case as he would actually make the boots to your sizing and account for the difference in length.

This will be more expensive than Astorflex but cheaper than Drakes and from what I have heard should be superior to both in fit and quality.

Thanks, wasn’t familiar with Jadd before. The look, the price and the sizes seem to meet right in that golden ratio! Wish they were in EU instead of UK though... ;):( At a quick glance the brand looks really good.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, wasn’t familiar with Jadd before. The look, the price and the sizes seem to meet right in that golden ratio! Wish they were in EU instead of UK though... ;):( At a quick glance the brand looks really good.

No problem, I also really like the look of them and I think they are probably the best quality desert boots that I am aware of.

Astorflex are also very good for the money however sizing for yourself sounds a bit tricky.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Worth paying a bit extra for Jadd's, though, given their starting price. They are incredible value for money and incredible quality. I've got five pairs.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Jadd sand, ox reverse, suede boots, with navy rand. Very thick leather but very soft and fit like gloves. MTO.

1619807487471.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads