• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

CZZ300

Reaction score
I would say standard sizes based on length and then manufacturers can advise size up or size down depending on the last. I don't wish to name names but it seems some insist on having their own sizes out of pride.
And back to the original subject, for Sanders HiTop size up half if you like a snug feel (my personal experience), and hence size up one if u prefer to wear thick socks (My guess).

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Enjoying the Greenflex. Just such a fun boot to wear. I noticed the vendor where I purchased my pair has increased the price by 15 USD.

401BED50-B62C-4CA8-A635-9BC593CA6042.jpeg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoying the Greenflex. Just such a fun boot to wear. I noticed the vendor where I purchased my pair has increased the price by 15 USD.

View attachment 1591806

I’ve been wearing mine a lot lately. Have been spending a lot of time on my feet and they’re my most comfortable footwear for the job.

I think even with a price increase they’re a good deal.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Wing chukka’s today, these have been in rotation for 5 1/2 years and will be due a resole soon.

Not sure if I’ll go for the same sole which has done well and is comfortable, or opt for a change. Recently the sole has become quite porous in the areas of most wear and can soak up water a bit.

These are very much a work boot style Chukka and very casual but are very comfortable and durable. My first pair of Goodyear welted footwear actually.

58630556-3ECB-4891-9B3A-D35B2A6F316A.jpeg
01CE6C64-9DAC-4FA2-B42F-EDBFC38E8F57.jpeg
CC8A91B6-8C46-4D47-94F1-6A4BFC5D115E.jpeg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new, ox reverse suede boots made for me by Jadd shoes. Very thick, Italian, leather which, at the same time, is very soft and 'buttery'. MTO, as always and I ask Jadd to put a navy rand on them. As always, very pleased with Jadd's work. When I get my new iPhone working properly, I will post some of his shoes, in the flesh and on my feet!
1618654086648.png

1618654029212.png

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new, ox reverse suede boots made for me by Jadd shoes. Very thick, Italian, leather which, at the same time, is very soft and 'buttery'. MTO, as always and I ask Jadd to put a navy rand on them. As always, very pleased with Jadd's work. When I get my new iPhone working properly, I will post some of his shoes, in the flesh and on my feet!
View attachment 1595026
View attachment 1595025

Amazing boots, the suede looks very impressive. Did you opt for the vibram or crepe sole?

Look forward to your own photos showing the boots being worn. Jadd’s photos are very good though.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of desert boots I was passing a Clark’s store and decided to give their offerings an inspection.

I have to say unfortunately I was not too impressed. The suede although from C F Stead, did not feel very soft or luxurious. It was at least full grain reverse suede so should be durable.

The boots as a whole felt quite floppy and unstructured. This may be how the original desert boot was but the Astorflex competitor from a price point perspective has a much sturdier leather midsole and softer more uniform suede.

I think if Clark’s could be had at a good discount then they might be an alright option but I was a bit underwhelmed by them overall.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of desert boots I was passing a Clark’s store and decided to give their offerings an inspection.

I have to say unfortunately I was not too impressed. The suede although from C F Stead, did not feel very soft or luxurious. It was at least full grain reverse suede so should be durable.

The boots as a whole felt quite floppy and unstructured. This may be how the original desert boot was but the Astorflex competitor from a price point perspective has a much sturdier leather midsole and softer more uniform suede.

I think if Clark’s could be had at a good discount then they might be an alright option but I was a bit underwhelmed by them overall.
Not all suedes have the same feel and finishing, it depends non only on the animal but on what the shoes/boots factory is looking for: some are not as velvety as others but are more resistant and durable, some are waxed and so on.

For example, Cape Butt suede “is dry in character, firm in handle and will not suffer the worn, polished look common in most suede’s.”

1618702205951.jpeg

On the other hand, Repello “is a high quality, fine-napped calf suede for men’s dress and casual footwear, tanned to give a full, generous handle and rich appearance”.

1618702391763.jpeg

Janus suede is “a production of selected, young calf skins with a luxurious silky suede side and a natural full grain, aniline reverse. Primarily intended as a suede, the grain side should be used as a trim. The handle of Janus is a touch firmer than soft. In our opinion, the finest suede available”.

1618702640638.jpeg

The following link depicts the different types that Charles F Stead offers through Peter. A & A Crack & Sons Ltd which are their UK agents.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Jadd desert boots (as above) before they were parcelled up for me. Great boots and perfect fit. I like love the blue rand too.

1618758739404.png

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all suedes have the same feel and finishing, it depends non only on the animal but on what the shoes/boots factory is looking for: some are not as velvety as others but are more resistant and durable, some are waxed and so on.

For example, Cape Butt suede “is dry in character, firm in handle and will not suffer the worn, polished look common in most suede’s.”

On the other hand, Repello “is a high quality, fine-napped calf suede for men’s dress and casual footwear, tanned to give a full, generous handle and rich appearance”.

Janus suede is “a production of selected, young calf skins with a luxurious silky suede side and a natural full grain, aniline reverse. Primarily intended as a suede, the grain side should be used as a trim. The handle of Janus is a touch firmer than soft. In our opinion, the finest suede available”.

The following link depicts the different types that Charles F Stead offers through Peter. A & A Crack & Sons Ltd which are their UK agents.

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday @Munky glad you had a great day and I hope you enjoyed it in style with those amazing desert boots!

The blue rand really works well with the light suede.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads