• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

trg12

Reaction score
E4831B9B-F4FE-44F9-AA90-53EE9563BAEE.JPG

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need for a Jaguar: you could go with a Triumph motorcycle... ;)

gettyimages-607393712-1594744215.jpg
The bike and the boots, yes. Not so sure about the necklace, though, but I will give anything a try. The sizing of the Sander's boots is annoying. I take 9 UK most of the time but 8.5 for Tricker Bourton's. I am a bit nervous about moving up to 9.5 in the Sander's. No big issue, I guess; they can always go back if necessary. Very tempting. I have never understood why shoemakers can't agree on a standard.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
@Munky

I dealt with David at Pediwear and they were very helpful. I did incur a $13 shipping fee to return them to England for an exchange but that cost is negligible in the overall scheme of things.

I don’t know what Sanders return/exchange policy if you are ordering from them directly in the event you are shipping to the States.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sizing of the Sander's boots is annoying. I take 9 UK most of the time but 8.5 for Tricker Bourton's. I am a bit nervous about moving up to 9.5 in the Sander's. No big issue, I guess; they can always go back if necessary. Very tempting.
I had the opportunity of trying my boots beforehand in a brick-and-mortar shop, otherwise, I would have missed my size completely: I couldn't believe that I was going up to a number I never wore before, but that was a fact that my feet were confirming me.

I have never understood why shoemakers can't agree on a standard.
I believe it's because feet can't be reduced to just a number and a couple of letters, as they are such variable tridimensional objects with so many factors that have to be taken into account, not just length and width.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Munky

I dealt with David at Pediwear and they were very helpful. I did incur a $13 shipping fee to return them to England for an exchange but that cost is negligible in the overall scheme of things.

I don’t know what Sanders return/exchange policy if you are ordering from them directly in the event you are shipping to the States.
Thanks, Mr Gold. I live in the UK so I can buy direct from Sander's.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity of trying my boots beforehand in a brick-and-mortar shop, otherwise, I would have missed my size completely: I couldn't believe that I was going up to a number I never wore before, but that was a fact that my feet were confirming me.

I believe it's because feet can't be reduced to just a number and a couple of letters, as they are such variable tridimensional objects with so many factors that have to be taken into account, not just length and width.
I'm not completely convinced, Mercurio. To take Tricker's as an example. Many of their shoes are said to run 'true to size'. For other's you are advised to go down half a size. If there is such a thing as 'true to size', it must be possible to make shoes to a standard that (at least to some degree) takes account of the variables you mention. The only way to cover all the vagaries of our feet would be to go bespoke. :confused:

If Sander's want you to order 9.5s when you usually take 9s, why not call the 9.5s 'nines' (and so on through the range)? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Sander's want you to order 9.5s when you usually take 9s, why not call the 9.5s 'nines' (and so on through the range)? :rolleyes:
I understand what you mean but unfortunately, it isn't how it works. When I bought my Cobbler Union boots and derbies, I had a long talk on the same subject with one of the brand owners. I asked him why did I have to choose two different sizes following his advice, and why they were not labeled with just the same number? His answer was something like what I wrote before: for some people, they could be TTS, but for others, it would depend on other variables, not only of their feet but how they adapt to each last.

As I said before in another thread, this is why is so difficult to recommend accurately anything about shoe sizing as every foot is a world. Each of us expresses our own experiences that can be different from others.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I understand what you mean but unfortunately, it isn't how it works. When I bought my Cobbler Union boots and derbies, I had a long talk on the same subject with one of the brand owners. I asked him why did I have to choose two different sizes following his advice, and why they were not labeled with just the same number? His answer was something like what I wrote before: for some people, they could be TTS, but for others, it would depend on other variables, not only of their feet but how they adapt to each last.

As I said before in another thread, this is why is so difficult to recommend accurately anything about shoe sizing as every foot is a world. Each of us expresses our own experiences that can be different from others.
But shoe sizes are based on length, sometimes with a variety of widths. On this, you will have your basic size. Then lasts will come into play. Which will mean you may occasionally have to size up or size down. Whether it's a boot or a loafer will also have an effect. However, the vast majority of people will have a base size and will occasionally have to size up or down.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Editing error, please move on...!

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But shoe sizes are based on length, sometimes with a variety of widths. On this, you will have your basic size. Then lasts will come into play. Which will mean you may occasionally have to size up or size down. Whether it's a boot or a loafer will also have an effect. However, the vast majority of people will have a base size and will occasionally have to size up or down.
Yes, that's interesting, thank you!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Mercurio, this makes a lot of sense and is helpful. :)

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that, but easier said than done: I own a quite large amount of shoes and boots from different brands and origins that gravitate around the same numbers but with very different fits. Some are spot on, some are long, some are short, others are narrow or too wide, a few have a very high instep others are somehow tight even though the same sizes.

Just as an example, appropriate for this thread, a pair of chukka theoretically of the same length but different size and width as they were built on very different lasts: Herring Gosforth II (Loake 026 last, size 6.5 UK), Heschung Genet (Odeon last, size 6 UK). The "smaller" one (size 6), as can be seen in the image, is wider than the"larger" size 6.5 UK.

¿How can you know that when you are buying online without exhaustive previous research, as manufacturers usually don't publish precise measurements? Of course, the best route would be to try them on before buying, but that is not an easy possibility for many of us.

00ca64039b1d6a10981c40c2eb71e834.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads