• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but only just...My new CXL, MTO, handmade boots, from Jadd Shoes. Beautiful boots and comfortable from the off. My 4th pair of Jadd's. The others are desert boots of various sorts and leathers. This photo was taken before they were boxed up for shipping to me.

View attachment 1586989

I love those! I think technically they can be legitimately be posted on here as Jadd calls them desert hi.

I am seriously tempted by a pair myself.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up these gray Sanders Hi Top chukkas recently. I wanted something light, sneaker-like and already had snuff and tan chukkas. They seem to fit the bill. I went with a 10.5UK and fit is perfect. I'm a 11D US brannock for reference.

Pictured here with all my suede chukkas. Snuff Alden on Barrie last resoled a couple of years ago to black Vibram Cristy after the crepe wore out and the tan suede Alden chukka on Leydon last.

View attachment 1587054

Very nice, I like the grey suede.

The Alden on Vibram cristy sound good, I bet they’re comfy.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My greyish blue chukka, I forgot to post them before...

2864E986-7424-4576-9D62-5FF1CF11C9B7.jpeg

571070A8-A7CA-4053-9788-ACA7A5F00235.jpeg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice, I like the grey suede.

The Alden on Vibram cristy sound good, I bet they’re comfy.

Thanks, they really are. I think the crepe is the comfiest but these are a close second and will last much longer. I had Brian at Role Club do the work. As expected, he did a great job.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
@Munky

Saw this ad and I couldn’t resist. ?

The desert boots definitely sold me on the socks. ?

F8468F23-5B1F-4F61-9D28-3B045B8EE3FB.jpeg

(I’m not affiliated with this company although I do have a big Italian family so you never know. ?)

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Munky

View attachment 1588437

(I’m not affiliated with this company although I do have a big Italian family so you never know. ?)
I couldn't see all the images but I do like striped socks - especially with desert boots! Especially with everything really...:cool:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Munky

View attachment 1588437

They might well be Astorflex boots. I need some stripy socks now, something I am lacking!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They might well be Astorflex boots. I need some stripy socks now, something I am lacking!
I think those are defo Astorflex! Always go well with stripy socks!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
Those are Florsheim, Made in Italy

Are they modern? I am not too familiar with Florsheim beyond the old long wings but have been led to believe that Florsheim’s modern offerings are low quality.

The boots don’t look low quality by the way, they look very good.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they modern? I am not too familiar with Florsheim beyond the old long wings but have been led to believe that Florsheim’s modern offerings are low quality.

The boots don’t look low quality by the way, they look very good.
I bought them a couple of years ago mostly because of their colour, from a "Made in Italy" line that is sold in my country. I have read that Florsheim quality is not the same since they are not produced anymore in the USA, but I feel that this "made in Italy" line is worth enough without being of outstanding quality, as they have a place in my extensive chukka rotation.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Anyone have a sock company that makes thicker ones? For those of us who size up in our boots

I have purchased socks from The Tie Bar that are certainly thicker than the 2-pair I just purchased from Lorenzo Uomo.

@thedavidstarr

also try American Trench. I have been quite pleased with their socks as well.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads