• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Departed: Was Delahunt a Cop?

MHH89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
We can split hairs like this all day.

If your position is that every member of the Irish Boston mob was born in the city limits of Boston, or that kids born in Cambridge or Somerville or Charlestown or wherever are not eligible to be in the Irish mob, join the State Troopers, or play such characters in the movies, then you are welcome to it. Seems very narrow and silly to me.

In real life people cross such municipal lines all the time, and people from a given metro area are often identified with the core city in that area, even if they were born on the "wrong" side of the line. This is especially true when the accent is identical and the towns are connected by subway, bus route, etc.

That is not my position at all and Charlestown is actually part of the city of Boston. I will say that people, who are not born into a specific area or family, are not usually allowed in a mob crew.

My original position was that Mark Wahlberg was the only member of the cast who was actually from Boston which is correct. Matt Damon grew up in luxury in Cambridge while Mark grew up in Dorchester (Dorchester consists of black and Irish Catholic neighborhoods which have zero interaction). If you ask anyone from an Irish Section of Boston about their section of town and Cambridge being similar, they will laugh at you.

The municipal lines in Boston are very segregated and people do don't generally cross these lines. Why do you think there was such uproar over forced busing in the 1970's? Boston is a tight knit community and the people within these communities know who is allowed in the neighborhood and who is not. This is a major reason why no one would rat Whitey out.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Of course...
smile.gif

I actually thought Scorsese's version was better but I liked the original despite all the unneccessary stylistic gimmicks and terrible acting (typical for HK gangster flicks).

I like how Andy gets to plug his watch endorsements...

The remake was entertaining because it had that Boston (movie) feeling.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why are we talking about a terrible film.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not good at following complicated movie plots in any case. I got the feeling The Departed trying to mine the same territory as LA Confidential, but whereas with LAC the quick pace of the plot was part of the stylization, I got the feeling in The Departed that the pacing was simply the unfortunate result of having to shoehorn all the plot developments into the duration of the film.

Even 24 steps back every now and then and allows the viewer to just drink in the moment. I did like Whitey's death scene, and the cutaway shot of the new recruit's dutifully polished shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics