• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Demise of Beer Gut Glory

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Skinny guys don't age as gracefully as beefier guys. I much prefer being a little overweight than underweight.

The super athlete biker/runner types look like 7-day-old corpses to me.

Men have them same body image problems as women, it's just more fashionable to talk about it now. Talking about yourself all the time is the ultimate expression of vanity.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jen
Evidently men are now as concerned about their body image as women, and even go so far as to lie about their weight and exercise routine to their friends and partners.

Do you ever lie about your fitness level? Do you ever wish that you were a different shape in order to be able to pull off certain looks? What is replacing the "beer gut" and bicep as symbols of manliness, or is manliness itself passe?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4812276.stm

Jen,

I believe this to be incorrect. In fact the opposite is true. The gut is being glorified in the media by such shows as King of Queens, Ask Jim, etc. The situation is actually getting worse.

And contrary to the post(s) above, being overweight actually adds years to one's life, and makes one look older. However, being emaciated, also has its drawbacks. I believe the right formula is to carry weight as muscle with a proper program of weight lifting, cardio, and some plyometrics.

Fitness does take self-discipline, and as one slides into one's career life, that discipline easily breaks down. Problem today is that a lot of youth is already fat and out of shape during high school and college years, so when they start their work lives it gets worse earlier. They don't need to slide into fatdom, because they are already there.

Fashion is going along with this. Hence the popularity of wearing shirts with tails untucked, baggy loose fitting clothes, etc. Over time, dress and grooming standards declined with the increase in obesity. What was "normal" 30 years ago in a man's suit is now referred to as an "athletic" cut. I could go on and on...yadda-yadda.

Only fundamental lifestyle changes can get the majority male and female population back into attractive shape. A drop of 8 is just not that hard to achieve or maintain with a little bit of work.

Cheers,

M8

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy that is the truth M8. I see whats coming down the pike looking at college kids all day, stuffed into tight low cut pants showing butt crack. what a bad time in American history to introduce some of these recent cuts of clothing. They're stuffed into them like sausages. 75,000 people at NASCAR races affirm this to one another.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Such glorification of "the gut" in TV shows as those are designed to appeal to the average male, of which, let's face it, don't possess marvelous physique not to mention superlative wit.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Such glorification of "the gut" in TV shows as those are designed to appeal to the average male, of which, let's face it, don't possess marvelous physique not to mention superlative wit.

I think it's more sinister that. I believe it to be a Hollywood emasculation scheme. Notice how the these men are coupled with babes who seem to control them.

M8

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
I think it's more sinister that. I believe it to be a Hollywood emasculation scheme. Notice how the these men are coupled with babes who seem to control them.

M8

yeah, but hot babes.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
yeah, but hot babes.
True!
laugh.gif
But that's in Hollywood. In real life she's an ugly shrew, but because he has a gut he can't go locate a fine trade-in. He has been duped by Hollywood. M8

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
That's weird, why would anyone do that? Anyway, I'm 6'3". Swimmers build (swimming All-American, and US Olympic Water Polo team). Can bench 2x my weight and can squat a small automobile. I run a 4 flat in the 40yard dash, and last year, I ran a sub 2:15 marathon in the last leg of the Ironman. I also hold two belts in three international mixed martial arts competitions. As a result, I find that fitting into OTR suits can often be a challenge. Hate to do it, but I'll probably have to go bespoke...

ok, sorry to resurrect this thread, but you're a real fit dude (if you're not joking, if so, then i completely missed it)

can you say which mma competitions you've competed in? we probably know some of the same people...

i think the people on here have no idea what kind of shape you need to be in to compete in mma.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, he is joking. I've seen renault in real life. He's like 4'10" and 300lbs.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

really? well, he got me.

i actually have friends who are almost that fit. a couple nationally ranked decathaletes (one u.s., one british), a couple former mixed martial arts champions and several competitors (one who used to be ranked #1 in the world), and a bunch of just plain good athletes.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a joke. The context was that members often lament their physical abnormalities when buying bespoke, complaining that RTW caters to the lowest common denominator.

Originally Posted by Arethusa
Dude, you said you wouldn't tell! Besides, 4'11". And a half. Get it straight, son.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handlethevibe
Dude, I know lots of people who'd die to be that size. Super slim jeans and clothing is the shieet.

The grass is always greener... I've been 5'11 135lbs for a long ass time and I was never really happy with it. I do pretty well with girls compared to a lot of guys but I know I could do a lot better and go after the super-hoties in total confidence with an extra 20lbs of muscle. I always found it very hard to gain weight though.

Since I started my new diet (about 3000 cal..280g protein/day over six meals) and weight lifting routine I've been very disciplined and I've gained about 5 lbs. so far. I've gained some stomach fat too but that will be easy enough to lose when I diet after gaining the muscle I want. My target weight is 150-155lbs. I'll decide where to stop when I get there. I don't want all of my clothes to stop fitting though
tounge.gif

otterhound

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Since I started my new diet (about 3000 cal..280g protein/day over six meals)

Am I the only skinny guy out there that can't eat that heavy? I'd be constantly nauseous if I had to chow down 3k calories/day.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my overall silhouette. I have zero desire to look like a Men's Health fitness model, nor do I want to look like a Dior Homme model. Lean and muscular works for me. (38" chest and a 31"/32" waist/inseam )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads