1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Demise of Beer Gut Glory

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Jen, Mar 16, 2006.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Am I the only skinny guy out there that can't eat that heavy? I'd be constantly nauseous if I had to chow down 3k calories/day.

It's really not as bad as it sounds. Remember, you're eating smaller portions but more frequently. I'm actually hungry a lot of the time because I use protein and weight gainer shakes for a lot of that and it doesn't fill you up as much. A calorie is a calorie though, no matter how you ingest it.

I'm basically eating one or two 4oz chicken breasts, a couple cups of vegetables, 3-4 shakes a day in low fat milk, and a little bit of oatmeal. I go through 2L of milk a day and about 2.5L of water... My meals are spaced 3 hours apart. On workout days I eat a bit during my post-workout meal than during other meals, and that's really the only time I feel full.

It's working though, and surprisingly fast. I've been 135 for the past 6 years. At some point in the last year I put on 6lbs from all the fast food and pasta lunches, but last week I weighed in at 141 and I'm now pushing 146. It's all about eating enough calories of the right type. In one week both my chest and arm measurements increased (as well as my waist heh). If you approach it in a scientific manner you'll get results.

If there's enough interest from the skinny guys i'll post my whole routine and progress.

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Dude, you said you wouldn't tell! Besides, 4'11". And a half. Get it straight, son.
    I'm sorry, man. I had to set the record straight.
    Am I the only skinny guy out there that can't eat that heavy? I'd be constantly nauseous if I had to chow down 3k calories/day.
    You're not the only one. It is difficult, and it can be difficult to maintain, especially if you don't have a situation in which eating lots of small meals throughout the day is practicable. It's not impossible, though, and you do get used to it over time. Especially if you start training, you'll start to need those calories, and large meals will disappear fairly quickly. Just make sure that you eat the right kind of calories. Low glycemic index carbohydrates (whole wheat breads, sweet potatoes, etc), good fats (no trans fats; stuff like olive oil, on the other hand, you can chug), and enough protein (this can be difficult; whey is very useful), and so on. GQ, how the hell are you eating 260g of protein a day? You only need 1-1.5Xg where X is your bodyweight in lbs. Beyond that, it's all basically wasted, and after a certain point, can start to cause kidney damage, among other things.

3. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

The grass is always greener... I've been 5'11 135lbs for a long ass time and I was never really happy with it. I do pretty well with girls compared to a lot of guys but I know I could do a lot better and go after the super-hoties in total confidence with an extra 20lbs of muscle. I always found it very hard to gain weight though.

Since I started my new diet (about 3000 cal..280g protein/day over six meals) and weight lifting routine I've been very disciplined and I've gained about 5 lbs. so far. I've gained some stomach fat too but that will be easy enough to lose when I diet after gaining the muscle I want. My target weight is 150-155lbs. I'll decide where to stop when I get there. I don't want all of my clothes to stop fitting though [​IMG]

Wow, that's eerily similar to the situation I was in. I'm 6'1", and for years I was 130 lbs. Could not put on any weight, tried lifting and got frustrated at a lack of results, etc. About a year and a half ago, after moving across the country, I decided to give it a REAL shot. I'm at 160lbs now--I hit 170 for a little bit, but a lot of that was fat that I'd put on in the last year+, given that I'd been eating six meals a day for a total of 4000 or so calories/day that entire time. I just finished a long cutting phase (broken up by a few mini gaining phases to avoid homeostasis and such), and now I'm right back to gaining.

I *did* have to buy entirely new clothes. Not cool.

At this point I'm not worrying about my weight. I've set some strength and fitness goals, and once I hit them, I'll be happy, though I'm sure I'll find new ones almost immediately. In the meantime, I'm much more fit and healthy. My feeling right now is that by the time I'm where I want to be, I'll be carrying somewhere on the order of 175/180 lbs.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'm sorry, man. I had to set the record straight.

You're not the only one. It is difficult, and it can be difficult to maintain, especially if you don't have a situation in which eating lots of small meals throughout the day is practicable. It's not impossible, though, and you do get used to it over time. Especially if you start training, you'll start to need those calories, and large meals will disappear fairly quickly. Just make sure that you eat the right kind of calories. Low glycemic index carbohydrates (whole wheat breads, sweet potatoes, etc), good fats (no trans fats; stuff like olive oil, on the other hand, you can chug), and enough protein (this can be difficult; whey is very useful), and so on.

GQ, how the hell are you eating 260g of protein a day? You only need 1-1.5Xg where X is your bodyweight in lbs. Beyond that, it's all basically wasted, and after a certain point, can start to cause kidney damage, among other things.

There's no research to suggest that a large intake of protein over the short to mid term leads to kidney damage in otherwise healthy kidneys. The research that has been performed in this area was on people with a history of kidney problems. As long as you drink a sufficient amount of water to flush out the accumulating uric acid, I generally don't think there's a problem. Who knows what the effect would be in the longterm, but this diet will only last while I'm trying to build new muscle. Maintenance should be easier.

Anyway, I'd rather err on the side of caution and waste a little bit of protein as opposed to not eating enough of it. After all, I'm spending all this money and effort on food and working out so I'd hate to think I wasn't getting maximum benefit.

Regardless, it's definitely working. I've put on weight and my measurements are already changing.

And to answer your question, due to time constraints, I eat 2 good meals a day from real food (chicken breast + something else), the rest of the time I drink protein shakes (in 1% milk). I have 3 different powders that I use at this point. ON Whey for when I just want a protein shake and can do without extra carbs. Cytogainer for post-workout which is a mix of carbs and whey, and bsn true mass which I take before bed. It's a mix of whey, casein protein (slower digesting), and carbs. I also take a couple tablespoons of udo's choice and multivitamins (without iron) daily. I've worked out the calories to be pretty close to 40/30/30 protein/carbs/fat.

It's very helpful to keep a container of protein or meal replacement powder in every place that you spend a significant amount of time in to make sure you always get your quota. I keep a supply at home and at work. When school starts I'll keep one in my locker there as well. Makes it a lot easier to eat all your meals.

Sauce, i hope you hadn't spent too much on your clothes :p The reason I don't want to go much past 160 is that I don't want to outgrow all of my clothes considering I've now spent the equivalent of a luxury car on my wardrobe [​IMG]

EDIT: As I continue to read more about this stuff I learn new things. Too much protein in one shot can in fact be counterproductive. I'll get in to an explanation some other time since I need to get home and eat!