1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Demise of Beer Gut Glory

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Jen, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Handlethevibe

Handlethevibe Senior Member

It's not about how buff you look, it's about whether you can throw down or not.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's not about how buff you look, it's about whether you can throw down or not.

If it comes down to it, yes. And anyone who has either met me in person (Jay Allen, Brian, Gary, a bunch more) or talked with me on the phone would understand why and probably believe that I've gotten into more than my fair share of fights (it's something beyond my control, but I have a short fuse, and it used to be even shorter when I was younger.) I would give you good odds, however, that people are much less likely to want to mess around with a guy like Jay just for fun (he is about my height, but probably has 100 lbs, mostly muscle, on me, and has the look of a guy who's been around the block a couple of times) than with a skinny 130 lb hipster looking dude.

Besides, I can squat an Escalade, so no worries.

3. tangerine

tangerine Senior Member

Actually, I was doing my best aggro Brian.

That hoodie is too sweet to be aggro, but it is good to keep the aggro stance alive.

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Distinguished Member

Dude, I know lots of people who'd die to be that size. Super slim jeans and clothing is the shieet.
    I can only assume that the people who have decided that skinny people like me are currently 'in' and attractive have never seen us naked.

5. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

I can only assume that the people who have decided that skinny people like me are currently 'in' and attractive have never seen us naked.

[​IMG]

6. seen

seen Senior Member

Think I just lost my dinner.

7. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Distinguished Member

im glad that skinny is in. im 6' and 150 lbs and cant gain. the only excercise i get is from skateboarding, and i eat fast food every day, but cant seem to develop any fat. so im glad that i can go with it insted of hiding it under loose clothes.

and to whoever said the bit about "I can only assume that the people who have decided that skinny people like me are currently 'in' and attractive have never seen us naked."... speak for yourself. i look damn good naked.

8. Arethusa

Arethusa Distinguished Member

and to whoever said the bit about "I can only assume that the people who have decided that skinny people like me are currently 'in' and attractive have never seen us naked."... speak for yourself. i look damn good naked.
    I'm not saying that I'm uncomfortable. I'm just saying that I'm uncomfortable.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

I didn't think that lying about your physical fitness level was really an option. being that I am short and round, I doubt that I would be able to convince anybody that I am a marathon runner.

in terms of wanting to change, or not being happy with the way you can dress? sure, I have been short my whole life, 5 foot 5, and even when I had single digit body fat I still looked stumpy. but you have to play with the cards you have. I don't wear sports jackets or odd jackets, and I don't wear brown shoes, basically in an attempt to flatter my shape into submision. I have to use what ever tricks I can.

and you are all a bunch of wimps - cars? I was squating cars when I was in high school. now I squat minivans, and the occasional pickup loaded with bricks.

10. LA Guy

and you are all a bunch of wimps - cars? I was squating cars when I was in high school. now I squat minivans, and the occasional pickup loaded with bricks.

Nice. I am squatting fully loaded escalades for toning, but find them awkwardly balanced. I am building up to a fully loaded semi, but it's hard to break that wall. Tips?

Seriously, though, my buddy and I just finished a 10 000 m row (we are sort of "training" for the indoor rowing half marathon (a full marathon of rowing seemed a bit extreme) in two weeks. I('ll post a link when we actually do that 21 000 m and some bits.) And my gluts ache like I was just in a Mexican prison.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Nice. I am squatting fully loaded escalades for toning, but find them awkwardly balanced. I am building up to a fully loaded semi, but it's hard to break that wall. Tips?

Seriously, though, my buddy and I just finished a 10 000 m row (we are sort of "training" for the indoor rowing half marathon (a full marathon of rowing seemed a bit extreme) in two weeks. I('ll post a link when we actually do that 21 000 m and some bits.) And my gluts ache like I was just in a Mexican prison.

Better than my ass, which after 3 hours straight on my new mountain bike with the crappiest seat I think Trek has ever put on a cross country bike, also feels like its been through a Mexican prison...

Jon.

12. LA Guy

Better than my ass, which after 3 hours straight on my new mountain bike with the crappiest seat I think Trek has ever put on a cross country bike, also feels like its been through a Mexican prison...

Jon.

I'm no longer enjoying this Mexican prison imagery.

13. globetrotter

I am, I guess you could say, enjoying, a little bit of free time now due to the untimely death of my company. so I have been getting back to the gym a bit more. I am aiming at getting back to my peak of pre-marital lifing capacity, over the next 6-8 months. I was able, at my fittest at age 19, to just get under a four hour marathon. so I figured that wasn't something that I should pursue. but I do enjoy lifting, and hopefully I will get back into that and stick with it once I am gainfully employed.

14. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

I didn't think that lying about your physical fitness level was really an option. being that I am short and round, I doubt that I would be able to convince anybody that I am a marathon runner.
    Have you watched a marathon lately? No offense to any party intended, but you'd be at home. I have huge respect for all the participants who take interest in these kinds of events, regardless of their shape. Give it a shot, you might surprise yourself.

15. globetrotter

Have you watched a marathon lately? No offense to any party intended, but you'd be at home. I have huge respect for all the participants who take interest in these kinds of events, regardless of their shape. Give it a shot, you might surprise yourself.

no, see, when I say that I am short and round, I am not being falsly modest. seriously.

actually, I may very well be able to get myself to the shape where I could finish a marathon, but I would probrably looking at a year of shin splints and painful work to produce a 5 hour race. In 30 minutes a day, doing something I enjoy, in a year I can get back up to squatting 300 or 350 pounds. it seems like a better place to put my efforts.

but I was actually just talking about looks - people expect marathon runners to be extremly thin and long legged.

but thanks for the encouragement - who knows, stranger things have happened.