The definitive SF-approved non-baller sneaker thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lemmywinks, May 27, 2010.

1. Dr. Mabuse

Dr. Mabuse Senior member

I dunno, i think i'll still like SQs black distressed MMM hitops in 10 years. CP will still look good.

i have learnt from experience that this is not the right option. You just simply don't enjoy the 4 pairs as much.

No real need to answer as you have pretty much covered it. I would venture a guess that most people who buy "luxe" sneakers also own a variety of other shoes. I will agree that the quality to price ratio holds no real water but that's not the point of buying any clothes if you are interested in personal style, design, etc. You buy them because for whatever reason you want to own them and owning them gives you enjoyment. This is only tangentially related, but it blows my mind the amount of money certain posters spend on budget stuff. I have a feeling the income gap between some people who shop budget stuff and some of those who pick up a few designer items here and there is not all that great.

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Even my black leather converse which were like, what, $120, look better than most of the stuff in this thread. I'm not saying spend $500 on Lanvins, but there's plenty of middle ground between those and $50 canvas Chucks.

3. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

To me it seems like most non-pricey sneakers have at least one thing going on that screams "if you care about how this looks: fuck you" like a brand or lame colour/texture for the sole or something. That or they're the basic chuck/keds/etc shape.

4. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Conversely, I think these bronze $60 supras I'm wearing right now are better than quite a few things in the baller thread. This thread does not have the monopoly on ugly fucking shoes. I guess what one of my points is is that I don't buy the shoes because they cost $$$. I mean, I love some of the Lanvins that are posted and I'd absolutely buy them if they were retailing for $80 instead of $500, simply because they're really freaking cool shoes (would a lower retail price point dissuade others from buying them? If so, then i'm guessing they're buying the label, not the shoe). I'm confident that if i were independently wealthy, i'd still like these Supras, and I'd also still like the expensive shoes, and my closet would feature both, and like hendrix my go-to pair would probably just be a simple pair of chucks. [​IMG]
    If SQ's black distressed MMM hitops are still wearable in 10 years, that'd be a damned shame because they do look pretty good and they demand to be worn. I feel the same about those grey nutsack GATs.

5. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior member

i cant' stand those laceless converse. I used to have a pair, ended up using a sharpie to paint the eyelets black and they still looked "weird". All those eyelets with no laces.. it just bothers me in a weird way.

I have a pair of Varvatos laceless Chucks, I thought I'd just dig them as they were... but after a little while I just said fuck it. I added laces. So now I basically just have another pair of Chucks, except without the feeling of 'these might slip off if I run or catch my foot on something odd'.

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Hey, I like those supras, though I'd like them more without the perforation

However, you can't have an $80 pair of Lanvins; part of what makes Lanvins desirable is the materials and construction, and you can't do that for $80. Maybe the H&M collab will have some cheap ones though.

7. csjesse

csjesse Active Member

which converse white leather lows should i get? [​IMG]

8. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

9. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Hey, I like those supras, though I'd like them more without the perforation
    Same. But, if they released this exact same colorway in the Skytop II, I'd be on it like white on rice. I'm a sucker for metallic coppers, bronzes, and even some golds. I wish the soles were black, but whatever. [​IMG]
    I meant that the high-price isn't what makes Lanvins (or any baller sneaker) attractive to me. If I like them, I'd like them just as much for $80 as I do at $500. At $500, though, it really makes me have to sit down and prioritize a few things where at $80, it's pretty much an impulse buy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an H&M Lanvin sneaker, too. I imagine if it exists, we'll be looking at something like a coated/waxed canvas? Which is perfectly fine with me as long as it comes in black and maybe even gray high top. [​IMG]

10. yodawg

yodawg Senior member

spring courts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a pair of those laceless canvas chucks. I use them as my work slippers at school.

12. delakingois

delakingois Senior member

13. rorret

rorret Member

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

yeah i was looking at them too they look nice

15. Val

Val New Member

First time posting, read most of the thread.

Was thinking about getting these canvas PF Flyers. ($50)

http://www.zappos.com/pf-flyers-cent...t=prodPage2a:0

[​IMG]

But am tempted by the amazing sale on these leather PF Flyers. ($36.45 after 60% off)

http://www.6pm.com/pf-flyers-bob-cou...american-white

[​IMG]

Not sure what might be best when it comes to leather VS canvas sneakers(still a newbie), but the sale on the latter has the price at cheaper than the canvas sneakers. I might go with the canvas sneakers just because I worry about white leather getting too dirty too quickly.