Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The definitive SF-approved non-baller sneaker thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lemmywinks, May 27, 2010.

1. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

this thread really justifies the prices in the baller sneaker thread

There's certainly a lack of .. "luxe" finishes? in these shoes for sure. I can't really describe the feel and look of the lanvins I was playing with the other day (dark green camo). Very smooth, very sleek, you can feel the quality of materials. My supras? They're nice, I like them, but they don't really compare. Supras = daily beater wear (for me) and ballers = going out to dinner with friends sneakers.

2. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

hey man the adidas resplits this season feel great just the design could use some slight tweaking ok if you mean all the supras and shit then ok yes those are god awful (sorry guys!)

3. Scooba

Scooba Senior member

We all know these shoes aren't "luxe". We're not dumb. I would love a closet full of Lanvin and MMM, but my job doesn't afford me that luxury. So, we make do with what we've got

4. quasky

quasky Senior member

hey man the adidas resplits this season feel great just the design could use some slight tweaking ok

if you mean all the supras and shit then ok yes those are god awful (sorry guys!)

i'm generally pretty happy with adidas sneaks - i picked up these guys....

[​IMG]

... and the leather is pretty damn soft.

5. csjesse

csjesse Active Member

liking the sambas.

[​IMG]

what do you think

6. CharlieAngel

Picked up a pair of bronze perforated Supra Skytops from ebay awhile ago, finally decided to wear them. [​IMG] Pants are Dickies Skinny Double Knees from dickies.com ($25). Notice that it's pretty tight around my calf. Very skinny (for me) pants.

7. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Senior member

liking the sambas.

[​IMG]

what do you think

classic....

8. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

Kind of hard to judge black converse unless you think the holes but no laces thing is a hideous abomination.

9. CharlieAngel

i cant' stand those laceless converse. I used to have a pair, ended up using a sharpie to paint the eyelets black and they still looked "weird". All those eyelets with no laces.. it just bothers me in a weird way.

10. Dr. Mabuse

Dr. Mabuse Senior member

This is correct. Even if you only venture as far as luxe Chucks, Vans, and GATs, there is absolutley no comparison. Even the sneakers in this thread I really like design-wise and own (the resplit, various converse and vans collabs) just become beater shoes within a month. I find it hard to understand how even the "broke" among the forum can't hold off on some budget purchases and save enough for what they really want. That being said, the Stan Smith Tournament Limited in full grain leather from a few years back owns 3/4 of the shit posted on both threads.

11. csjesse

csjesse Active Member

agreed, the laceless look is odd... thought they might be a bit less generic than say;

[​IMG]

not a converse expert, looking for my first pair..

12. CharlieAngel

This is correct. Even if you only venture as far as luxe Chucks, Vans, and GATs, there is absolutley no comparison. Even the sneakers in this thread I really like design-wise and own (the resplit, various converse and vans collabs) just become beater shoes within a month. I find it hard to understand how even the "broke" among the forum can't hold off on some budget purchases and save enough for what they really want. That being said, the Stan Smith Tournament Limited in full grain leather from a few years back owns 3/4 of the shit posted on both threads.
    Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I can think of quite a few things: 1) Because luxe sneakers also become beater shoes within a month of regular wear, unless you manage to buy enough pairs to rotate them out regularly. These aren't leather soled, repairable items like Aldens or AEs or what not that are going to last a lifetime. If I'm going to save up $500-800 for a pair of ballers, chances are I'm not going to wear them daily like I do my chucks or subject them to the rigors of cyclocross, etc. 2) Cheaper shoes allow those without sufficient means to "ball out" in MMM, Rafs, Lanvins, etc, to experiment with colors, textures, and styles and not have to agonize over a bad decision. 3) Trends come and go. Sneakers are certainly subject to the whims of the masses and by time you save up for those $500 shoes, that ship has sailed (but you can probably get them on ebay for $200 now). 4) If the choice is 4 pair of shoes I enjoy vs 1 pair of really really nice shoes, I'll most likely go with the first option. It gives me more options with my daily wardrobe and allows me to rotate properly. It's been a long time since I wore the same pair of shoes day after day. etc etc. I do both now. I have quite a few beater sneakers, and save my good sneakers for other occasions. As I alluded, if we were talking about "lifetime" shoes like in the streetwear thread, I'm with you. Save up for those Indys because you're going to be wearing them until you die or something.

13. ma1

ma1 Senior member

Picked up a pair of bronze perforated Supra Skytops from ebay awhile ago, finally decided to wear them.
    [​IMG]

Pants are Dickies Skinny Double Knees from dickies.com ($25). Notice that it's pretty tight around my calf. Very skinny (for me) pants.

Do you have more fit pics of the pants?

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I can think of quite a few things: 1) Because luxe sneakers also become beater shoes within a month of regular wear, unless you manage to buy enough pairs to rotate them out regularly. These aren't leather soled, repairable items like Aldens or AEs or what not that are going to last a lifetime. If I'm going to save up $500-800 for a pair of ballers, chances are I'm not going to wear them daily like I do my chucks or subject them to the rigors of cyclocross, etc.
    They're not gonna last a lifetime but most sneakers (designer or non-designer) do last quite a long time. You tend to wear them much harder than you would dress shoes too. Having said that i'll always have a pair of white leather chucks as my beater beaters. I still like them.
    2) Cheaper shoes allow those without sufficient means to "ball out" in MMM, Rafs, Lanvins, etc, to experiment with colors, textures, and styles and not have to agonize over a bad decision.
    This is true, but i don't really find it that important. More colours is nice but most of the time you just revert to the versatile pair.
    3) Trends come and go. Sneakers are certainly subject to the whims of the masses and by time you save up for those $500 shoes, that ship has sailed (but you can probably get them on ebay for $200 now).
    I dunno, i think i'll still like SQs black distressed MMM hitops in 10 years. CP will still look good.
    4) If the choice is 4 pair of shoes I enjoy vs 1 pair of really really nice shoes, I'll most likely go with the first option. It gives me more options with my daily wardrobe and allows me to rotate properly. It's been a long time since I wore the same pair of shoes day after day.
    i have learnt from experience that this is not the right option. You just simply don't enjoy the 4 pairs as much. plus, there's a limit to how much variety is really necessary. Most sneaker colours (white, beige etc) go with everything. You could easily get by with just 2 pairs of sneakers.