1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The definitive SF-approved non-baller sneaker thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lemmywinks, May 27, 2010.

1. Listi

Listi Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I am very pleased. Pf Flyers Albins, of course. Silver Perrin on Gilt lookin' top notch as well. @Earnest: Jeans are Ande Whall

2. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Well-Known Member

^those look dope listi, if a little glam. what are the jeans? anyway, what does SF think re: vael? I've never seen them discussed here, same level as clae with interesting styling. I have the black and the white pairs below and they've held up pretty well, decent leather w/vibram soles and reaaaaaally soft full-grain leather lining [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

Chrono, you have a pair of normal GATs yes? How's the sizing on them?

Dude. It has been said multiple times in this thread and in others. There are multiple brands/varieties of the trainers with slightly different leather, gumsole, suede color and interior. Sizing varies slightly too. Mine are 285 and fit like a size 10.5

4. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Well-Known Member

Dude. It has been said multiple times in this thread and in others. There are multiple brands/varieties of the trainers with slightly different leather, gumsole, suede color and interior. Sizing varies slightly too. Mine are 285 and fit like a size 10.5

You mean there are different kinds of GATs from Germany? I thought they were just military surplus.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Any love for Supras?
    Fall 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

i like the first and second ones.

7. whereismyshoe

whereismyshoe Well-Known Member

Alright, I'll try using google translator. Thanks a bunch. How do GATs size in regards to let's say Clarks DBs or Sperrys? And Pinhas, there's only Alter left in Franklin St, brooklyn. If they don't carry it, then the only option is to order them online. I believe shipping is free.
    i'm a 10 in sperry and a 9 / 9.5 in converse and i got a 43.5 and they fit perfect. also mine have a longer tongue than i've seen and some black printed numbers on it. Not sure what they mean but it's actually pretty sweet.

8. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Pretty sure JKISSI solidified TOMS' status.

-rF

9. Listi

Listi Well-Known Member

Pretty sure JKISSI solidified TOMS' status.

-rF

It was the only thing about his fit that WASN'T on point, but that's just my opinion. I don't really see the appeal, nor any reason to dislike.

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

To me, they're a slightly nicer plimsol... and the 'good cause' w/ TOMS is another reason for the forum to embrace them IMO.

11. JackTheRipper

i'm a 10 in sperry and a 9 / 9.5 in converse and i got a 43.5 and they fit perfect. also mine have a longer tongue than i've seen and some black printed numbers on it. Not sure what they mean but it's actually pretty sweet.

I'm kinda confused. I thought Sperrys run large which is why most people size down and you got a 43.5 (which is like a US9.5)? So the GATs run super large?

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

good lord. just use your best judgement and buy the sneakers. even with advice it won't be perfect. if they are a smidge big get insoles, if small, then sell in buy&sell and try again. most the time people just overthink it with stuff like that. you'll probably get it right enough though. hell, even trying on shoes in store i can't get a "perfect fit". Most the time i feel i'm between sizes or is a touch narrow in a spot or one foot a bit bigger than the other, etc... Not to mention that they're not holy grail sneakers that will magically make boring outfits good. just plain sneakers that look boring and plain if you dress boring and plain. dont' think i've ever seen a fit of yours but just give it a shot but don't put the pussy on a pedestal

13. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

I got the vans versa in grey, they are just like a cheaper version of the common projects if you lace them with the extra white laces. Great shoes for $60. Stitched sole, piping on suede, super comfortable. Only if they were lined in leather instead of fabric. http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/201...-2010-preview/

14. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

The toebox looks stumpy, like Vans...

15. JackTheRipper

good lord. just use your best judgement and buy the sneakers. even with advice it won't be perfect. if they are a smidge big get insoles, if small, then sell in buy&sell and try again. most the time people just overthink it with stuff like that. you'll probably get it right enough though. hell, even trying on shoes in store i can't get a "perfect fit". Most the time i feel i'm between sizes or is a touch narrow in a spot or one foot a bit bigger than the other, etc... Not to mention that they're not holy grail sneakers that will magically make boring outfits good. just plain sneakers that look boring and plain if you dress boring and plain. dont' think i've ever seen a fit of yours but just give it a shot but don't put the pussy on a pedestal

Yea, I guess you're right. I have a tendency to read/research a lot about an item before I purchase it. And I've posted fitss but I don't think they're that good since I'm a non-baller and I don't have that many interesting pieces yet.

16. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

The toebox looks stumpy, like Vans...
    Thought the same thing till I saw em in person. Its still chunkier than most, but it is in essence a skate shoe and for $60 you can't go wrong. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

It's not bad. I just don't seem to like Vans very much. I think I could tell it was a Vans product without knowing.

I still like those Sawa's. Their webstore isn't up yet, though.

18. Listi

Listi Well-Known Member

Thought the same thing till I saw em in person. Its still chunkier than most, but it is in essence a skate shoe and for $60 you can't go wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side silhouette looks like Dior Homme's less desirable offerings. I agree It is probably decent for the price, but nothing spectacular.

19. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Well-Known Member

I'm kinda confused. I thought Sperrys run large which is why most people size down and you got a 43.5 (which is like a US9.5)? So the GATs run super large?

They're made by adidas and puma so go with your size in that (especially if you have sambas). I bought a 280 (which is what size a samba in 10US is). I'll let you know when I get them.

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Do we get styleforum points for getting in on things ahead of time? Can i exchange this for prizes like pier 1 outlet shopping with shoreman or exotic animal hunting with kitonbrioni?

also, where do ceepees fit in? they used to technically be non-baller by today's price standards or were $200sneakers in 06 the same as $350 sneakers in 10?

You can shop with me anytime, hon, but I take exception to your pier 1 jibe. Room and Board is where it's at.

I actually looked through my e-mail history to see when I bought GATs, and it was really 2006. I've worn them probably a dozen times. #toofatforcpsandgats