• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to have killed this thread.
Regardless, I went for the Clegg small travel duffle in cognac. It's a bag that'll test your mettle for sure, especially if you're carrying it any distance. Beautifully made though, built for the ages for sure.
Baltzar had the best price and I'm not surprised anymore; virtually everything I buy that's made in the US (I'm in Canada) is always cheaper if purchased through some other country be it Japan, UK, Germany or in this case Sweden!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buffalo Jackson recently had a 25% off code so I scored one of their Oversized Weekend Bags that I'd had my eye on for some time. Normally $299 which I already thought was a good deal but with the code is was about $220 shipped which was bonkers. It just arrived the other day and I couldn't be happier.

I'd long been looking for an all leather duffel/large weekender but couldn't find one I really liked. This is the size/setup I was looking for but I'm actually happier with it mostly in canvas for the weight savings. It's stupendously large - like week+ capacity - with the tie downs all the way expanded (which is what I wanted) but can still be squashed down quite a bit with them tied down fully. And I love the large, dual outside pockets. I'm no expert but the leather seems good to good+ and the construction seems solid everywhere.

If you're looking for Filson style stuff, I'd say they are at least worth comparing.

Stock pick from here: https://buffalojackson.com/collecti...axed-canvas-oversized-weekend-bag-field-khaki

Dakota_Leather_Oversized_Weekend_Bag_Field_Khaki_With_Chestnut_Brown-_2-of-4_2000x.jpg

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to have killed this thread.
Regardless, I went for the Clegg small travel duffle in cognac. It's a bag that'll test your mettle for sure, especially if you're carrying it any distance. Beautifully made though, built for the ages for sure.
Baltzar had the best price and I'm not surprised anymore; virtually everything I buy that's made in the US (I'm in Canada) is always cheaper if purchased through some other country be it Japan, UK, Germany or in this case Sweden!
Aaaaand it's for sale.
Took it to work a few times and quickly realized this bag is much bigger than I need and much tougher than required. Ah well.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
xpost but I thought worth sharing here - my recent acquisition...

It's a weekender with a gladstone/doctor's bag opening by Tramontano; which seems to be a little known leather goods maker from Napoli that heralds back to 1865 (!). While I was originally concerned about the stitching, it's more of a cream in real life than the brilliant white it was in the seller's pictures (or even here). As of now I'm smitten with it as-is and don't foresee myself coloring it.

dscf2411-jpg.985472

dscf2426-jpg.985478
dscf2414-jpg.985473
dscf2416-jpg.985474
dscf2420-jpg.985476
dscf2417-jpg.985475
dscf2427-jpg.985479
dscf2422-jpg.985477
dscf2431-jpg.985480

Nice. Where can I buy Tramontano in the US?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney's. The quality is nothing really to write home about - I picked up a bag in Napoli 3 springs ago, and the stitching near the internal pocket has come a bit undone.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice. Where can I buy Tramontano in the US?
Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't know, but ...

Barney's. The quality is nothing really to write home about - I picked up a bag in Napoli 3 springs ago, and the stitching near the internal pocket has come a bit undone.
Mine has only seen a handful of trips but it has shown zero wear or tear and performed perfectly.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw pretty deep discounts on Filson this sale season. Wonder if those stores were dropping the line or if they have relaxed their stance on price control.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with “This is Ground”? They have this iPad case that seems absolutely perfect for someone like me who plans to use his iPad and peripherals as his primary mobile workstation/way of interacting with the virtual world.

https://thisisground.com/collections/tablet/products/mod-tablet-5?variant=12738037186646

Is it buttery soft, exqusitely handcrafted and styfo approved??

The main thing that i don’t like with Hermès/Valextra/RLPL/Cucinelli etc. is that they spend all this effort on superlative materials, craftsmanship and aesthetics, but don’t really think about usability for the modern user. I bought this Valextra briefcase a month ago and it still looks like it was made for someone who carries paper files, fountain pens and business cards.

But then on the flip side, you get these small companies ‘run by techies for techies’ and the design is great, but the quality of the product is shoddy

Emthigious

Reaction score
I don't have experience with This Is Ground, but my experience with cases like that is not that good. They make for a very pretty picture, but I don't find them very practical. They have a very specific set of pockets. Usually, the stuff that I'd like to fit in there exactly doesn't fit.

The little loop thingy where they put the headphones: that's very impractical. Headphones will get tangled.

The little strap that keeps the field notes book in place? It'll get loose and no longer hold a notebook in place. If it does that to begin with.

The outside pocket for the phone? It'll fall out of there so you won't use it.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
I don't have experience with This Is Ground, but my experience with cases like that is not that good. They make for a very pretty picture, but I don't find them very practical. They have a very specific set of pockets. Usually, the stuff that I'd like to fit in there exactly doesn't fit.

This. I am also skeptical about brands with a short record and lots of self-congratulatory marketing.

Knomo makes a series of portfolios with iPad sleeves like the Knomad, that are comparatively inexpensive and good quality. I got one in calf direct, and one in cloth on Massdrop, but the problem identified by Emthigious applies to them as well, the organizer pockets are almost never the right size for the specific items you intend to carry, so unless you can have one made bespoke, you will be disappointed.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for cross-body bags? Prefer cotton/polyester. I really like the Our Legacy Valve Cross Body Bag but it is too much out of my price range. Looking to spend $100.

Here is the OL bag for reference: https://www.notre-shop.com/products/valve-cross-body-bag-in-black-1
Chapman do something like that, will build to suit your colour choice and UK made.
A little more than your budget, but quality stuff.
https://www.chapmanbags.com/men/officers-ipad-bag.html

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Like the Fragrance thread, I'm excited to see how the listing of brands and styles have grown over the years. I'm out of the loop and haven't been exploring new brands in the past few years, so I'm excited to learn more from you guys. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics