• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Your opinion on this leather bag / backpack?

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/pickwick-leather.html

bb022-a2q333-pickwick-leather-12l-honey-3-4.jpg

bb022-a2q333_mdbm.jpg

bb022-a2q333-pickwick-leather-12l-honey-back.jpg

bb022-a2q333-pickwick-leather-12l-honey-right.jpg

bb022-a2q333_mdd2w.jpg

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've generally liked the new Brooks bags of the last few years, this one included. There have been reports some durability issues, but I think this was from pretty rough use. I say it'll look better given some time, sun, rain and sweat. Skip the blood though, very few things look better after exposure to blood.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
The leather is unlined and the straps don't look that comfortable, but otherwise it is indeed a good-looking backpack. The roll-top doesn't look like it would keep the rain out, something that seems odd for a British cycling-oriented brand to overlook.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The roll-top doesn't look like it would keep the rain out, something that seems odd for a British cycling-oriented brand to overlook.
The fold over as pictured would definitely be suspect, though I think it's capable of actually being a true roll top which is definitely impervious to water ingress: witness Ortlieb et al.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I seem to have fallen down a vintage bag rabbit hole so I take the liberty of attaching some of my haul:
Eveleigh.jpg
French.jpg
Gaitan.jpg
Holland Bros..jpg
Zippo-Grip.jpg
Polo Club.jpg

As you can see I like the Gladstone Bag format.

kilowatts

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some hefty looking beauties there.

DooDahMan

Reaction score
I just ordered one of these and Im pretty excited for it. Theyre MTO so it should be about 4 weeks

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just checking in around here. Any great new brands or bags to discuss?

I'm teaching summer classes and using a canvas Jil tote that by now is old enough to vote. Still going strong…

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oops double post

Last edited:

hb20091

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long time lurker with a question on this Ghurka that's available on Ebay

It seems to be checking my boxes in terms of space and looks good to go to work in but wondering if anyone has had experience with this model. It's selling for a price much below other Ghurkas so wondering what the catch is

Also on a similar note a bag recommendation would be welcome . I'm looking for a messenger in the 500-600 price range max but lower the better.
Preferably would like one in an orangish brown leather but tan and light brown are fine too

Thanks

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long time lurker with a question on this Ghurka that's available on Ebay

It seems to be checking my boxes in terms of space and looks good to go to work in but wondering if anyone has had experience with this model. It's selling for a price much below other Ghurkas so wondering what the catch is

Also on a similar note a bag recommendation would be welcome . I'm looking for a messenger in the 500-600 price range max but lower the better.
Preferably would like one in an orangish brown leather but tan and light brown are fine too

Thanks
Others can speak more to this but my understanding is that older Ghurkas with the Marley Hodgson designation, maybe now all considered "vintage", were of much higher quality than the versions since and that's often the pricing difference even if there's a lot of age between them. I can say I have a few of the older MH versions, especially a couple of suit carriers, that they are just fantastic pieces.

hb20091

Reaction score
Others can speak more to this but my understanding is that older Ghurkas with the Marley Hodgson designation, maybe now all considered "vintage", were of much higher quality than the versions since and that's often the pricing difference even if there's a lot of age between them. I can say I have a few of the older MH versions, especially a couple of suit carriers, that they are just fantastic pieces.
Thanks for the info

So on that note would there be a better alternative in a similar price range ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads