• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

MellonC

Reaction score
trying to commission a new custom weekender duffel bag but can't decide on the color. Going back and forth on either black or color #8. Both from Horween Chromexcel leather, the best of its kind. Just to give you some ideas, here is what color 8 Chromexcel looks like:
https://www.weargustin.com/store/bags-horween-weekender-chromexcel-8 and here is what black looks like: https://www.weargustin.com/store/bags-horween-briefcase-chromexcel-black (not the bag shape..... it will closer in shape like the first one)

Need your opinion. which color? thoughts?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've read Horween will stretch more than some other leathers, though it is obviously top quality. In terms of manufacturers, you may do better than Gustin for a lifetime bag, Frank Clegg for instance.
Colourwise, I guess it's down to wow factor vs inner smugness (not mutually exclusive of course). The #8 will get you noticed and in certain places everyday will be a parade. The black will instill a calm serenity in you surpassed only by your sure knowledge that it will go with virtually every fluorescent pattern that Dashing Tweeds is capable of throwing at a three piece suit.

MellonC

Reaction score
From what I've read Horween will stretch more than some other leathers, though it is obviously top quality. In terms of manufacturers, you may do better than Gustin for a lifetime bag, Frank Clegg for instance.
Colourwise, I guess it's down to wow factor vs inner smugness (not mutually exclusive of course). The #8 will get you noticed and in certain places everyday will be a parade. The black will instill a calm serenity in you surpassed only by your sure knowledge that it will go with virtually every fluorescent pattern that Dashing Tweeds is capable of throwing at a three piece suit.
View attachment 1293091
The pictures from Gustin were just to show the style. It’s going to be custom from a local guy. Anyways, I think perhaps I’ll go with a black one. Color 8 is nice but I’d agree that it’s a bit flashy.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I must admit I LOVE this large zebra tote from Tom Ford. And it's on sale! ;)

styleforumfan

Reaction score
That is 1000x better than the previous bag you posted. I've owned a Bleu de Chauffe Eclair bag for a few years now and I love it.

I just noticed the underside of the bag has no feet hardware. So the nice leather will get scuffed up badly no doubt. Is this a deal breaker?

Last edited:

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your re-selling plans.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
All the presser foot marks on that bag would drive me crazy

Now I see the presser foot marks in one of the pics after you pointed them out. Are the marks unavoidable on a design like this or it's a matter of craftsmanship?

Last edited:

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No such thing on hand sewn... what's your budget?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However, looking at the Clegg site their machine sewn bags don't seem to have those marks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads