• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Like the Fragrance thread, I'm excited to see how the listing of brands and styles have grown over the years. I'm out of the loop and haven't been exploring new brands in the past few years, so I'm excited to learn more from you guys. ;)

MellonC

Reaction score
trying to commission a new custom weekender duffel bag but can't decide on the color. Going back and forth on either black or color #8. Both from Horween Chromexcel leather, the best of its kind. Just to give you some ideas, here is what color 8 Chromexcel looks like:
https://www.weargustin.com/store/bags-horween-weekender-chromexcel-8 and here is what black looks like: https://www.weargustin.com/store/bags-horween-briefcase-chromexcel-black (not the bag shape..... it will closer in shape like the first one)

Need your opinion. which color? thoughts?

ojaw

Reaction score
From what I've read Horween will stretch more than some other leathers, though it is obviously top quality. In terms of manufacturers, you may do better than Gustin for a lifetime bag, Frank Clegg for instance.
Colourwise, I guess it's down to wow factor vs inner smugness (not mutually exclusive of course). The #8 will get you noticed and in certain places everyday will be a parade. The black will instill a calm serenity in you surpassed only by your sure knowledge that it will go with virtually every fluorescent pattern that Dashing Tweeds is capable of throwing at a three piece suit.

MellonC

Reaction score
From what I've read Horween will stretch more than some other leathers, though it is obviously top quality. In terms of manufacturers, you may do better than Gustin for a lifetime bag, Frank Clegg for instance.
Colourwise, I guess it's down to wow factor vs inner smugness (not mutually exclusive of course). The #8 will get you noticed and in certain places everyday will be a parade. The black will instill a calm serenity in you surpassed only by your sure knowledge that it will go with virtually every fluorescent pattern that Dashing Tweeds is capable of throwing at a three piece suit.
View attachment 1293091
The pictures from Gustin were just to show the style. It’s going to be custom from a local guy. Anyways, I think perhaps I’ll go with a black one. Color 8 is nice but I’d agree that it’s a bit flashy.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I must admit I LOVE this large zebra tote from Tom Ford. And it's on sale! ;)

styleforumfan

Reaction score
That is 1000x better than the previous bag you posted. I've owned a Bleu de Chauffe Eclair bag for a few years now and I love it.
I just noticed the underside of the bag has no feet hardware. So the nice leather will get scuffed up badly no doubt. Is this a deal breaker?

Last edited:

styleforumfan

Reaction score
All the presser foot marks on that bag would drive me crazy
Now I see the presser foot marks in one of the pics after you pointed them out. Are the marks unavoidable on a design like this or it's a matter of craftsmanship?

Last edited:

ojaw

Reaction score
No such thing on hand sewn... what's your budget?

ojaw

Reaction score
However, looking at the Clegg site their machine sewn bags don't seem to have those marks.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.