1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Oct 8, 2014.

1. hemish

hemish Member

lol. Do you know that dressing like a daddy look archetype is trendy from last 2 years?

2. hemish

hemish Member

3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Well-Known Member

For many years I have been using this bag, which I absolutely love. I searched for a bag for ages then my wife found this, and I have not looked back.
    https://airbagcraftworks.com/en/shop/79/A2-NYC

My backpack, until stolen yesterday, was one of these:
    https://www.homeofmillican.com/coll...matthew-the-daypack-22l-slate-green-1#product

Apart from the slightly fiddly closing studs, I loved it. I especially liked the zip at the front, which made finding things easy. The side pockets are also very handy, and it has two internal side pockets and a laptop pocket, plus two map pockets.

I am now looking for a replacement. I will probably just get another one (maybe in blue), but does anyone have good recommendations for a backpack which has a similar front as well as top opening, and a reasonable amount of pockets? Thanks!

4. pkshiu

pkshiu New Member

I just recently discovered Millican and love to try them out soon. I am in the US and only selected model is avail via REI. Anyone know of other sources? Shipping directly from the UK is probably going to be expensive?

Thx,
    P.K.

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Well-Known Member

I was extremely happy with my Matthew backpack. It's thoughtfully designed and well made. I imagine that I will get another. If shipping is expensive drop me a line and maybe I can proxy it for you.

6. SortofFitz

SortofFitz Well-Known Member

A few questions for those who have briefcases/messenger bags in the style of SAB, Pierpont, Clegg, etc.--the kind that are gusseted, traditionally made from veg tanned bridle, and fairly structured without a metal frame.

Do you avoid placing yours on floors in heavily-trafficked places like airports and subways? Or are they hard enough wearing that this is generally a non-issue? Anything you do beyond the occasional cleaning and conditioning to maintain the bag's condition, like storing it flat versus upright?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018

7. clarkandreese

clarkandreese Member

In case any of you like these, our company recently launched with a leather weekender/day bag (two color choices). Removable shoulder strap, external diagonal slip pocket, YKK Excella zippers... www.clarkandreese.com GA1A8006_r.jpg GA1A8038_r.jpg GA1A7447_r.jpg

8. razl

razl Stylish Dinosaur

xpost but I thought worth sharing here - my recent acquisition...

It's a weekender with a gladstone/doctor's bag opening by Tramontano; which seems to be a little known leather goods maker from Napoli that heralds back to 1865 (!). While I was originally concerned about the stitching, it's more of a cream in real life than the brilliant white it was in the seller's pictures (or even here). As of now I'm smitten with it as-is and don't foresee myself coloring it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Emospence

Emospence Senior Member

Was storing it flat a 'rule' for briefcase maintenance?

10. SortofFitz

Maybe I should have asked a more rudimentary question here or on the briefcase thread: Can anyone point me to a good list of basic maintenance tips? It's an everyday work bag, so I'm not looking to keep it in a box stuffed with paper, but it's a big upgrade from what it replaced, and I'd like it to stay in decent condition for a long time. Thanks!

[Update: I see there's some information here, among other places.]

11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I hate putting my bags on the floor, but that's just me.

In general, I recommend a good leather moisturizer and a good waterproof spray. Collonil makes a nice one and between those two, that's about all I use. The moisturizer keeps the bag from cracking/drying out (and often gets rid of scuffs), and the waterproof spray, well, helps it to repel water. I especially would spray this on the bottom of the bag in case you do set it down in something wet.

Of course Collonil and other companies make 10,000 different products that they'd LOVE to sell you, but really just those two will take you pretty far and keep you from spending a fortune on crap you don't really need.

12. SortofFitz

Thanks Rach. Once I have a chance to see the bag works and looks with a few months' regular use, I will probably post a review with photos. The maker, Basader, addresses a niche and hasn't gotten a lot of attention here.

13. Emospence

Emospence Senior Member

Yeah I'm never setting my bag down in something wet!

14. razl

razl Stylish Dinosaur

Would you mind pointing out the exact two that you use and like? I just went quick looking and, you're right, they have a bewildering range of products. I'd rather make sure I'm getting the ones you recommend.

15. masayako

masayako Senior Member

No special maintenance except once in a while cleaning it with a slightly damped cloth follow by leather balm. I try not to "babe" it intentionally. If the situation requires me to put my briefcase on the floor, I do that. But, other the other hand, I don't drop it or slam it on the table just to "relic" it. Just use it normally and it will accumulate normal wear and tear "patina".
    20180811_220708.jpg