1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Oct 8, 2014.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

For something I consider a GOOD value... last week I took delivery of a bag from SARTOLANE, a Poland-based leather maker that has been around for a few years. Small and family owned, they show at Pitti and a few other places. Really nice bags for the money ($600-900, or 500-800 euros); nice hardware and lining, good weight/feel to the leather. I especially recommend doing the "Patina" briefcase, where you start with a neutral base and can request a custom color pattern that is done by hand. They are also very responsive to questions and communication; that's not something you can get much with a "big" brand.

www.sartolane.com
    Instagram @sartolane

This is the base bag, on which you can request pretty much any color (and interior layout):

[​IMG]

For mine, I've already got the standard black, brown, and tan. I wanted something fun... so I got a royal blue with orange lining. I also think a chestnut brown, oxblood, or even a burnt orange exterior would be beautiful. Or lime green!

[​IMG]

This is from their instagram feed... @sartolane
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    2 people like this.
  2. theoogle

theoogle New Member

I need some help finding a briefcase. I want something slim (max 3" wide but ideally 2-2.5"), brown, leather and sub 1000$. I usually carry at the most my 13" laptop, iPad, charger and a couple of small files. Definitely needs a laptop slot, Lotuff and Frank Clegg are out because of this (I hate using laptop cases). I also need at least one pocket for charger/wires and some pen holders. Here are my current considerations and what like/don't like. Maybe someone of you can provide feedback to sway me one way or the other, or provide alternatives.

1. Linjer Soft Brief - https://www.linjer.co/collections/men-soft-briefcases/products/soft-briefcase-mocha

Currently my front runner. Love everything about this bag except that the zipper isn't deep. This bag would be a no brainer for me if it almost opened flat. The inside also seems a bit lower quality than the rest. Wish it had an outside pocket.

2. La Portegna Carter - https://www.laportegna.com/carter-leather-briefcase-sol

What a gorgeous bag. Doesn't come in brown. Hate the handles. The cross body strap clip is a bit of a joke, but not a make or break.

3. Shinola Computer Brief - https://www.shinola.com/mens/leather/all/computer-brief-signature-leather.html#/color=Bourbon

Essentiallly the linjer but nicer. Hard pressed to pay double though. Not in brown. Small zipper.

4. Coach Metropolitan - http://www.coach.com/coach-metropolitan-brief-in-sport-calf-leather/54908.html?dwvar_color=QBCWH

This bag seemingly has it all. Somehow I just feel like I'm overpaying and not getting anywhere near the same quality. Something about buying coach...

Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. razl

razl Senior member

Search for other retailers who carry La Portegna; I've definitely seen the Carter in other colors, like the Sol Brown that No Man Walks Alone has the Fat Carter in. Possibly that was then and this is now, but they definitely existed, oh, within the last 6 month's-ish. I think I saw it in black too but I could be wrong there...

4. theoogle

theoogle New Member

What about handles? Any chance they make the Carter with the Fat Carter handles? Those flat things look uncomfortable and like they won't age nearly as well as folded handles.

On another note, has anyone had any experience with Kanzek? This is not a bad looking bag: https://www.kanzek.com/collections/...-black-cognac-leather-laptop-briefcase-15inch

5. razl

razl Senior member

Sorry, I missed the bit where you mentioned you hated those :facepalm: I haven't followed the Carter as closely as I have the Fat Carter (which I purchased last year from NMWA) so I really can't say and, yes, I agree with you, I much prefer the Fat Carter handles.

6. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

hello good professor, it seems to me you must have also come across some good wallets in your travels?

best,

7. razl

razl Senior member

Got lucky watching the Sale thread and saw the Billykirk was having an online sample sale. With no intention other than to browse, I found one of these lingering at a steal of a price. Since I had been thinking about a Mismo shopper in a similar tan/linen configuration for quite a while, this was a perfect alternative. I actually like it quite better in that, intended as a laptop bag, it's actually lightly padded all around. It lacks a shoulder strap and I might have one added at a future point but other than that, I'm seriously happy with the purchase.

IMG_2895.JPG IMG_2898.JPG IMG_2900.JPG IMG_2901.JPG IMG_2905.JPG

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017 at 3:22 PM
  8. NGOStudio

NGOStudio Member

There is so much great info in this thread :colgate:

I knew about Linjer but could not fullly comprehend their talent until I've read more about them from you guys. By chance they make strolley or small luggage? Have anyone commisioned them to make you one?

What do you think would make a good man's strolley?

Sorry if I'm asking too much!