• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Glad you found one that you like.

To answer your question the blue one is nylon all over. There's a plastic? piece sewn into the bottom panel so that it stays rigid. The various pockets and internal flaps give some structure too.

400 is a hard pill to swallow but you'll find its worth it. Tumi stuff has never let me down.

Ballistic nylon is great for travelling. Nice but not showy and very durable. I recently did Europe with my Everett and was really glad I had it. So many useful features and still looks new after being thrown around.

While I was out and about yesterday, I made a point of looking around at alternatives and couldn't find something I liked better, even at the same price point. I also played my self-imposed reverse game of "if you didn't get it now and found you couldn't get it again in the future, would you wish you did?" and decided I'd kick myself for not keeping it - so, I'm in.

[@]Jolek[/@ ]Thanks for the input, your hands-on experience helped tip it in the sense that I've got some added confidence that it'll hold up and be money well spent. I can't remember the last time I paid full retail on something, I guess this is just one of those exceptions.

BlackYeti

Reaction score
I'm looking at Oppermann London's bags, which use Cordura nylon as its lining. Has anyone experience with a bag with this kind of lining or an Oppermann bag specifically? How does the nylon hold up to daily use?

pdsf

Reaction score
^I seem to recall someone had posted a review on the Oppermann bags. If my memory serves me well, it wasn't positive. Check the first gen of this thread.

Cordura nylon should be fine. Not lux by any means, but does the job.

BlackYeti

Reaction score
Yeah it was on the Linjer thread—complaints about poor leather quality, rough finishing and the thing arriving in the mail folded up. Hoping to get more info, though.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

While I was out and about yesterday, I made a point of looking around at alternatives and couldn't find something I liked better, even at the same price point. I also played my self-imposed reverse game of "if you didn't get it now and found you couldn't get it again in the future, would you wish you did?" and decided I'd kick myself for not keeping it - so, I'm in.

[@]Jolek[/@ ]Thanks for the input, your hands-on experience helped tip it in the sense that I've got some added confidence that it'll hold up and be money well spent. I can't remember the last time I paid full retail on something, I guess this is just one of those exceptions.

Final update on this in case it helps anyone in the future:

Living here in Orlando FL, I realized there were Tumi outlet stores in our tourist region. I took a spin by and found that while they didn't have the model Everett in Hickory that I got, they had some other similar models I could compare to that were originally about 20% less than mine and, at the outlet, were another 20 or 30% off that. Most were about as functionally good as the one that I got but I'm still more smitten with mine so I'm keeping it.

Along the way, since we're heading into sales season, I've been relentless in checking codes against the few merchants that still have my model and I've found that Tumi is apparently _the_best_ at maintaining their pricing across channels. They are excluded from codes everywhere, and no amount of finagling seems to cover them. The only thing even close to an offer was NM's "we'll send you a free gift if you spend more than X" seemed to include it, but that was it. No other promo, nowhere, would budge it. I can find Tom Ford stuff at discount easier than I could find this bag.

So, that said, at least I know there's almost zero chance that I'll be here in 3 months crying because it was 1/2 price somewhere. Since it's something I finally came around to deciding "yeah, I really want this" there's some comfort in that.

ertu

Reaction score

Streettrash

Reaction score
6 pocket tote
made from vintage military duffel canvas
vintage fishing net
vintage birdshot bag
vintage stenciled military cloth rear
lined with gray selvedge denim
selvedge detail on interior pockets and interior seam of bag
vintage horse tack leather straps
shoulder strap made from vintage leathers combo
copper rivets reinforced with leather washers
leather bottom
brass grommets and closure
hand hammered U.S. penny stamped with H&A trademark
dimensions
16.5" wide opening
14.5" deep
8" wide at base
interior pocket dimensions
4 x 7" x 9.5"
exterior pocket dimensions
10" x 9.5"
5" x 9" netting pocket

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone knows 'GIUSEPPE LAVA' ( Atelier Lava )?

here is their official website
http://lava.it/

and some info. i googled:
Extremely high-quality leather goods using highly valued exotic hides and impeccable precision in the work process
All of the components boast quality, from the zips supplied by the Japanese company Yoshida to the precious metals from a Florentine silversmith.

sounds good quality, but maybe someone knows more.Thanks!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So I got the Everett in Hickory I posted above and it ticks all the boxes that I was interested in. I'd also say that it seems very solidly constructed and definitely handsome in person. Still, not being a serious bag person, the $400 price tag is just a real hard swallow. Especially when we're talking about something that's 90%+ nylon.

Glad you found one that you like.

400 is a hard pill to swallow but you'll find its worth it. Tumi stuff has never let me down.

Ballistic nylon is great for travelling. Nice but not showy and very durable. I recently did Europe with my Everett and was really glad I had it. So many useful features and still looks new after being thrown around.

Quick revisit to say that I've taken the bag on a long weekend road trip and on a full week planes/trains/automobile vacation from FL to DC+PA and back and found it to be perfect and, dare I say, worth the coin. A couple of quick thoughts:

• the ballistic nylon seems near bombproof. so far it doesn't seem to have a single scuff anywhere - and that's after a real 1.5 week's worth of TSA, under airline seats, in/out of car trunks, squeezed behind car seats, and constantly used to store/retrieve stuff. I know it's early, but anything else at this point would have some scars somewhere, but this still looks mint.
  • the super big tumi zipper pulls are great. They might look a bit ostentatious, but I think it's more form than function - you really can find and fumble them open/closed blind.
  • the padded tablet pocket with it's own zipper is a feature I liked a lot more than I thought I would.
  • the feature that allows you to slide the bag's back down over the handle of a suitcase so it can be stacked - worth it.

In all, I'd say that it was definitely worth the price. While I still don't travel enough to really justify it - it's so good at what it does that I'm actually looking forward to using it again in the future. I don't say that about too many things, so clearly it's a winner for me.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
I have a question because quality is constantly changing. Barring Hermes, what do people think are the top 5 men's bag makers currently considering design and quality of materials and craftsmanship?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been looking for an office briefcase / laptop bag that's not formal but still office/client presentable (think more sport coat than suit, if you get my drift). I wanted something reasonably slim and I think I still want leather.

I thought I had settled on the Fat Carter by La Portegna (here in Sol brown):

But then lo and behold I stumbled across this thread about Skytop's Pullman briefcase. While the Pullman was bigger than what I wanted I was totally awestruck by the construction and quality. After visiting their website, I found that they've since come out with a slimmer "Telegraph" model. I think I'm head over heels in love with it in Whiskey:

I'm going to give myself a day or two to cool off, but I'm really thinking that's "the one". Skytop has some videos of their products and they just seem to be of super high quality and (for me) split the middle between professional formal and casual.

Still, I'm fishing for anyone's input - anything similar out there and/or anyone with a Skytop that can comment on them?

airkenny

Reaction score

Here is my submission. It's not very expensive but it has served me well. I found this little bag behind a suitcase in a goodwill and i nursed it back to good health. since then it has been my bag for school and other things!

where to find something like this?

ertu

Reaction score
Hello

I am looking for a similar bag like this, most importantly it has to be around the same size, around 8 x 10 vertical. can be leather or canvas or nylon, but i posted the leather ones cause it is the easiest to show an example.

I see these 2 billykirk satchels, but i don't like the visible thick hand stitching, looks like some DIY hack job. I want something more cleaner looking stitched with a sewing machine.

I also like this nylon bag, it is what i am looking for, but the problem is it is a touch too small (7x8 inches)

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score

Hello I am looking for a similar bag like this, most importantly it has to be around the same size, around 8 x 10 vertical. can be leather or canvas or nylon, but i posted the leather ones cause it is the easiest to show an example. I see these 2 billykirk satchels, but i don't like the visible thick hand stitching, looks like some DIY hack job. I want something more cleaner looking stitched with a sewing machine. Any suggestions?
Have a look at the bags listed here? https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/shop/TheRailroadBagCo

Last edited:

ertu

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads