The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Oct 8, 2014.

1. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I'm so-so on leather, since it tends to be a little on the heavy side. I'm also a little ambivalent toward Samsonite, possibly just because it's such a big brand name and I think of those as often being watered-down for mass appeal (possibly an unfair judgement).

Good to know that it's out there, though. I'll maybe spend a little more time looking through Amazon.

2. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

That makes sense. Given the high costs of manufacturing within Italy, it would be virtually impossible to manufacture a leather bag there at that price, doubly so if custom. I'll report back on the process if everything works out.

In the meantime, it might be worth it to post your ideas, feedback, and brand advice over on their affiliate thread. It seems like they are quite receptive to the feedback in terms of marketing copy, adjustments to the site, and additional pics/information. It's pretty rare to play a part/have a say in a start-up without having to invest capital... and it can be a good way to learn more about the industry and the process of creating a brand.

Other than their (sadly) short-lived "Black Label," which was really quite nice... and of course the Lambertson Truex bags they produced until 2009 or so... I agree re: Samsonite. Their main line is boring, meh quality, and available EVERYWHERE. If you can get it half off at any TJMaxx/discount luggage store on the planet, it hardly says "wow!"

This was probably the reason the black label never took off; it was like the VW Phaeton (a really great car that sold like crap because people said "a $75,000 VW? WTF?") $900 for a bag marked "samsonite" just didn't set the heart aflutter.

It was pretty cool, though; in addition to several lines designed on their own, they also did some neat collaborations (with Alexander McQueen, Viktor & Rolf, etc.) I had several pieces back some time ago and will try to look up the old pics.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

@rach2jlc and other experts

does this " ECHT PRYM" (brand?) make good snaps, like fiocchi for example? can't find enough info about them.

[​IMG]

5. rach2jlc

What bag/item is it from?

Reaching far back into my memory, I THINK some of my old-school Versace stuff had snaps like that. Assuming I'm correct, it would be a great sign; the older Versace stuff was built like tanks and had some of the best quality around.

FIMMA Italy are another good maker (though of course Fiocchi is the most famous)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. qubed

qubed Well-Known Member

For the Americans among us, prices in Europe for european brands right now are crazy cheap due to the extremely strong dollar. For example, you can can get a 16" Hermes Sac a Depeche for $9100 + tax or ~$10,000 in NYC. But in Paris, it's only €5750 which after VAT refund & currency exchange comes to even less in dollars: about $5500.

Literally a 45% discount. You could fly to Paris, have a really awesome vacation, buy the Hermes bag, and still be in the black.

The discount exists across many brands: from Hermes, LV, Loewe, Lanvin and so on. From expensive items to cheaper items.

7. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

thank you, @rach2jlc

this is from my valextra key holder[​IMG]

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This reminds me of Europe in the mid 1980's when the Pound was $1.12 and the other European currencies equally discounted. Harrod's and other stores ran ads in NYC newspapers of sales where your dollar went even further making a weekend shopping trip to London or Paris rather practical. Looks like we are headed for those times once again. Also an ideal time to purchase antiques:)

9. Jakezero

Jakezero Senior member

So, I've been wanting to get a weekend / carry-on bag for a long time, and I've finally decided to go ahead and get one made. I'm currently in talks with a maker, and I've decided to go for a design inspired by the Hermes HAC. Now I'm not too experienced with bags and I could use some feedback. As the bag will be rather large (50 cm long, 41 cm high, 26 cm deep), I thought that weight might become an issue.I thought that an unlined bag might be a decent idea to alleviate the issue, maybe with a removable cotton lining attached by snap buttons for when a lining is needed. I figure that a removable lining would be easy enough to clean, and that it might increase the lifetime of the bag, as I could simply have another lining made when the old one gets worn out.

Any reason why a removable cotton lining is a bad idea? Should I go for a normal leather lining instead?

10. rach2jlc

Interesting questions... I think having a removable lining is unnecessary... but in canvas/cotton is good to keep the weight down. The snaps and such will get in your way; trust me. Just have the textile lining sewn in (and perhaps opt OUT of any zipper pockets or other things).

I'll reflect on it more and edit/update this post again later.

But, overall, a leather outside with textile inside will be more than enough for your needs. The HAC design is classic and will serve you well. Then again, a classic "boston" style bag... like the LV Keepall is also very durable. You might also reconsider a 41cm height... do you really need that much? I'd cut it down a bit to closer to 38cm or less (15 inches). Anything more and you want a porter to carry that thing.

50cm length by 38cm height seems a more manageable size.

Not sure who you are planning to use for your custom options... but we have an affiliate vendor here who offers such options at very reasonable prices (sub $500) . I've also placed an order on a travel bag and will report back when I get the goods:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/459017/...-official-affiliate-thread/0_100#post_7753943

If money is no option for you ($3000+), then also talk to Bea at AiP (April in Paris). She does nothing but the absolute best.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/225626/...er-artisan-thread-feedback-pics-reviews/0_100

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  11. Jakezero

Jakezero Senior member

I'll take your advice regarding the size in consideration, I approximated the initial measurements from the proportions of the HAC 50 in photos. Regarding the design, I initially considered a "boston" style bag, but it just doesn't speak to me the same way as the HAC style design does, I'm not sure why. The design isn't 100% nailed down yet so I'm very much open to suggestions, but I'm set on a HAC-ish design. I've already picked out a maker, but I won't out whom I am working with until we're finished, as we're probably going to be trying out a few things that they haven't done before. I'm currently awaiting design sketches. I'll also say that I currently don't intend to have any pockets or such in the bag, I really don't see a need for them.

I've also considered going for a thin suede (pig suede perhaps?) or thin leather lining. I've noticed that I tend to go for leather goods in dark brown with dark green linings, and I thought that I might go in the same direction this time around, get it right the first time rather than ending up regretting not getting a leather lining. I know that this will increase weight, but that might actually not be that big a deal now that I've thought about it for a while. Based on how I use bags when I travel I would pretty much only carry it from the house to the car, the car to the plane, the plane to the car to the hotel, and then it will pretty much stay in the room. Not that much carrying involved. If I travel with additional luggage other than my carry-on I usually plop my carry-on bag on top of my alstermo suitcase.

12. heicat

heicat Member

Hey all! I saw this thread and decided it was time to make my styleforum account and stop lurking once and for all.

I picked up this bag, any advice for pairing it with stuff?

I usually just wear it with my brown A2.

I really like it, it smells so good.

13. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Nice, really flies under the radar.

14. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

I think the original thread I posted this in is dead, but does anyone happen to know what the bag is at the bottom of this picture?
    [​IMG]

15. Hobbs

Hobbs Senior member