1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ojaw

ojaw Senior Member

I agree with this and am pursuing a custom version of such, though it'll be much more plebeian in budget and style than above.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Yeah, Hermes these days is mostly only good to look at for inspiration/ideas for styling. For the sake of info, though, the bag is called the 24/24 GM in "sikkim" leather (a soft lambskin). They made it in a number of colors and three sizes, all of which are really lovely (my personal favorite was a mushroom/puddy color)

Another good internet resource for inspiration/styling is Tooklookbook, a site that compiles seasonal lookbooks and catalogues from brands.

http://lookovore.com/

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

3. baggist

baggist Member

I have been very interested in the Chrome Industries Mini Buran. It's a little more sporty than I usually like but I recently tried on a Chrome Industries messenger bag and I really like how they sit.

Also I really like the look of TOPO Design's Mountain briefcase.

What specifically are you looking for in TSA checkpoint friendliness?

4. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Huh, I think I have the non-laptop version of that exact Chrome bag. I used it every day back when I was biking. It was pretty good for that - I found it stayed in place even without the cross-body stabilizing strap - but it's a little loud for my taste.

Some laptop bags - very, very few, it would seem - are designed such that you don't have to take your laptop out and put it in a bin when you go through airport security; you just open up the bag and lay it flat on the conveyor belt. This is an example: http://www.timbuk2.com/command-tsa-...174-4-5886_size=8&dwvar_174-4-5886_color=2226

Basically, I want an incrementally less ugly version of that. It may be asking too much. I should probably just get that one and accept - nay, embrace - the ugliness.

[​IMG]

I may be able to live with the green version:

[​IMG]

5. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior Member

6. rach2jlc

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

If you really must have leather, there just aren't that many decent "budget" options. Same with bespoke shoes... or anything really.

8. baggist

baggist Member

9. rach2jlc

Exactly. While we often talk here about how overpriced many brands are... we shouldn't therefore imply that a good bag is really cheap to make. It's not... and while "smart" brands have figured out places to trim costs while keeping quality/design high... there will always be compromises unless you bite the bullet and buy ONLY at the very top tier... and at retail.

The future is getting brighter, though; as professional dress and using nice accessories become more popular, we'll get more good, fair priced brands. Japan, for example, has TONS of them... but then again they have a wide segment of young professionals who regularly purchase them. Until pretty recently, though, very few here in the States needed to carry anything nice, or looked pretentious doing so.

This created the vacuum now desperately needing to be filled; there was really only a market for cheap Kenneth Cole crap that your girlfriend bought you (or you found at TJMaxx for $20)... or the $1500 one with a famous Italian label attached.

10. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

The Tom Bihn Cadet is probably the closest I've seen to what I'm looking for. The Timbuk2 is unfortunately somewhat limited; even with customization, you can only get it with a black body. I think the customization only extends to the flap and straps (maybe the lining).

11. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Distinguished Member

thank you for the share[​IMG]

12. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior Member

The duffle is from the Victoria collection: it's lined in canvas, which makes it lighter and less expensive than some of their more structured options (the women's handbag version of this starts around $5k). They've also made an open-top version that's quite handsome:
    [​IMG]

I LOVE the 24/24 Reporter; the shape, the size, the leathers are pretty much ideal. If I really wanted to invest in just one messenger bag, this would be it.

13. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior Member

So true. You can spend less money (Dries Van Noten, Jack Spade, Rag & Bone come to mind), but they aren't going to be made with the same materials or finished as nicely a true luxury bag.

And yes, bags are quite a bit like shoes: the ones you'll find on serious markdown are usually odd, unattractive or impractical. A good bag that suits your needs is worth paying full price for.

14. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior Member

Awesome, it would be great if you could post about it here!

15. baggist

baggist Member

You are correct. The three panels on he flap, the liner, the logo, and the piping are all you can customize,

If you like leather bags [Samsonite](http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Leather-Checkpoint-Friendly-Brief/dp/B004CI8CW4) has a checkpoint friendly bag. Unfortunately it looks a little thick. I don't know how well it would actually scan.