The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Oct 8, 2014.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I actually had this bag in my "Dream box" (and once in my cart!) but didn't pull the trigger just because I couldn't justify another travel bag. Glad somebody here ended up with it. I liked it for the very same reasons you mentioned. Given Zagliani's retail, that IS disappointing about the handles. BUT, overall, as you mentioned it's a classic, minimal bag.

Zagliani is mostly known for their exotic leather bags (especially python); it's rarer to find a standard, soft calf from them. I think the retail was $1895-2000; it was on Luisaviaroma and a few other sites back in 2010-11 and then on discount on Yoox.

The Goyard looks like a pretty standard zipper document case. Those studded Burberrys... eh... not crazy about those. Can't imagine how you'd use them for work in an office, unless it was at a fashion brand or designer boutique. ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

i googled hard to find the retail price but fail.

really appreciate your info and comment! [​IMG]

3. rach2jlc

It's called the Tomodachi bag (do a search for "Zagliani Tomodachi" and you'll get lots of images and various colors/leathers.)
    Is yours the black one? They also made a really nice midnight blue that season (in fact I think the dark blue was the one I almost snagged).

Apparently it was even more $$$ than I remembered; it says here $2655:
    http://www.lyst.com/bags/zagliani-brown-big-tomodachi-supersoft-calf-luggage/

4. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Forget if I already tried asking here, but does anyone make a laptop bag that's:

- weather-resistant

- TSA checkpoint-friendly

- relatively lightweight

- not hideous

It seems like the market for such a thing would be huge, but I keep coming up empty in my searches. The CM small questions thread wasn't much help.

5. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

Thank you again!

i cop the dark brown one that listed in the women section.but my conditioner darker the color a little.

and IIRC, mine is a litter larger than those in the men section according to the measurements on yoox

6. rach2jlc

Great; the dark brown sounds lovely. Zagliani is one of those tough brands to find accurate info; they made that bag in many sizes, many colors, and sold it in several places (mostly in Europe). It's also not really popular enough that there are committed databases/resources for their seasons online.

IIRC, the "tomodachi" has also been offered several different seasons. The prices varied, the materials varied, as did the sizes. It's the draw (and irritation!) of buying bags from smaller makers. You aren't getting a mass-produced item and so there are many variations.

In any case, enjoy it!

7. gridplan

gridplan Member

I'm not as fond of the Goyard. It doesn't hold much, which is why I've recently switched to a briefcase.

The Burberrys are also document holders. Though not as stiff as the Goyard, but they do hold more. I've taken them to my white collar job pretty much every day for the past two years; no one has looked askance at them.

8. rach2jlc

I was building off your "murse" comments. I'm not a big fan of either one, really; Goyard quality is okay but the pricing is beyond crazy for coated canvas. Burberry has never impressed me with its bags even in the PRORSUM line (styling on the runway bags is sometimes okay, but the leathers, hardware, and linings are often shoddy). As well, the other Burberry lines tend to have extraordinarily derivative styling; I mean, studs? It's like when Prada suddenly started slapping camouflage onto their bags when it was trending. Valentino, Trussardi, Balmain, etc. got there first.

We pull no punches here on the MANBAG thread (haha). BUT, at the end of the day... the final verdict is if you like the bags, they work for you and your job, and you didn't spend your kids lunch money to buy them... go for it!

9. rach2jlc

Like AG Spalding, IIRC it's a brand that HAD a true heritage, but sold its name to an Italian license/factory.

In any case, it's very popular in Japan; I've never really seen it much elsewhere. Pricing is surprisingly high (at retail very close to the other "big" brands), and quality is pretty good. The issue is if you can deal with the styling... almost everything has a big HUNTING WORLD logo and an elephant smattered on it somewhere. I had a shopper tote and a travel bag some years back in their famous fabric; it's hard wearing but I didn't like the feel of it. The styling and detailing, while high quality, also felt very, very dated.

It reminds me of those dusty older brands that went to Asia to die a very slow, very pricey death (see Alviero Martini Prima Classe, Franzi, MCM, etc.) but in recent years tried a big plunge to be relevant again in the West. MCM has somehow managed to find a few recent fans, but the others all have more or less fizzled.

Edit; Found this post I made back in April of 2009:

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for the feedback and insights Prof. Fabulous. I see on their website that the Hunting World brand is owned by Itochu International, a Japanese firm. The brand is sold at stores in Japan, Taiwan, China, Korea and several other cities in Asia.

I ran into a display of their bags at MAGIC in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago. (see the phone pic below) They are celebrating the brands 50th anniversary and are seeking to re-introduce it into the US market. I like the look of the natural leather and green. I see what you mean by the large logo. A more subtle approach would be an excellent suggestion for the US and European markets. I also see on the website that they also have all black leather and material designs where the logo is much more stealth.

It will be interesting to see if and where we hear more about the brand in the US with their anniversary collection.

[​IMG]

11. rach2jlc

^Interesting; thanks for the pic and information. The bag I had years ago was the third back from the front... the boston/duffle bag with strap. They are very hard wearing... you could probably fall out of an airplane and the bag would still hold up.

My issue was just the styling... but if it fits with your aesthetic, pricepoint, and you like it... you could certainly do worse quality wise.

12. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior member

This literally looks like a gift-with-purchase item you'd get with their cologne. They did a similar canvas beach bag for women last year but the design and materials felt much more elevated than this.

Burberry probably has the least integrity of any major label I can think of; they are a brand first, a fashion statement second, and a maker of luxury goods last. Quality is subpar across all three labels; I bought a pair of Prorsum denim last year and was shocked at what passed for "top-tier" at their priciest label.

There was a moment maybe a decade ago where Burberry was really something; well into its first makeover in the Rose Marie Bravo days but still undercutting its competitors with nicely-made checked bags in classic shapes (something like a British LV at 1/2 the price). Then, at some point, Burberry decided no one cared about quality so they pumped up the number of colors and styles while moving production to eastern Europe and Asia, jacking up prices for the mainline, and introducing the shameless cash grab, Old Navy-spec Brit line. Their CEO ended up becoming the highest-paid executive in the UK until Apple lured her away with a $72 million (!) compensation package.

I like Goyard because they're old school. No promotions, no ads, no PR events: just come and buy a bag. Or don't, for all they care. Again, its something akin to what Louis Vuitton was before it was Bernard Arnault's LVMH: good quality with emphasis on the little things that make a big purchase palatable. They do custom monogram, stripe, and logo painting by hand, while also taking on custom commissions to produce anything you can dream up; both are things LV no longer offers in the name of efficiency.

On the other hand, variety of men's styles is limited (a couple briefs, a couple totes, one dowdy messenger) and yes, they're expensive. Thanks to limited distribution, though, resale is fantastic: I see popular styles regularly sell for 75-90% of retail.

Alviero Martini: making Skymall readers say "That ugly thing costs HOW MUCH?!?!" since 1983.

13. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Arc'Teryx Veilance Seque Tote comes very very close to what you're looking for. I've been using the black one for a little over half a year now and it's great. As for the way it looks, well it's not hideous in real life like most nylon bags, but at the same time, it could be a bit more aesthetically pleasing.
    You do get two way handles, waterproof shell that dries ridiculously quick, waterproof zippers and good amount of storage for more than just a laptop. My only problem is the handles, not the most comfy ones in the world.

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Thanks. Looks like a pretty solid option. It'd be great if they made something laptop-specific, but that may be the best option I've seen thus far.

15. rach2jlc

I'm not familiar with that maker, but I'm glad some other members are chiming in with suggestions. Keep it up, guys! And post pics of your bags! I haven't gotten much new stuff now in several years; I'm far out of the loop.

Just to add some pictures of lovely things, I post the below pictures for inspiration. Left is a standard duffle; the right is a camera/reporter style bag. I tend to like this style of bag MUCH more than the flap messenger; I find the zippers and square format more useful for daily use and organization:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015