The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

What's your budget?

2. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

Thanks for all your advice! It really is great. I do have one other question. If I just want one bag that will go with everything (black, brown & burgundy shoes and belts), would navy be the way to go?

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

That's my opinion. Navy goes with everything. Wear black... navy is a nice contrast. Wear browns/non-blacks... navy is a nice contrast. You can't go wrong for versatility with navy. That's why I suggested Linjer, because their navy soft brief is simple, no nonsense, good quality (I had a chance to manhandle one in person), and affordable/bang-for-buck for its quality. The tote they are releasing soon also looks very nice (though I haven't yet gotten to see one in person).

Beyond that, Margiela makes nice navy bags (on sale/ebay/after market), as do Prada and Marc Jacobs... though I'd advise caution as their quality is variable and there are lots of fakes out there.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

4. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

What about grey/silver? I know Linger doesn't offer that, but I am guessing it is as versatile?

5. rach2jlc

Not silver. I definitely love gray, though. A puddy/mid-gray (not quite light, but not charcoal) is wonderful. It's a tough color, though, because it can show marks and requires a bit of TLC. As well, it's a rarer color to find. Again, margiela does a tote in puddy gray, as does Costume National (from time to time). Calvin Klein Collection, Prada, and Valentino do as well... but with all of these you'll be dealing with possible fakes, used bags, etc in the aftermarket. $500 for any of them will be taking a bit of a risk, but again with patience you might find something neat.

If you are going to pick a bag color based on versatility, overall navy or a mid-gray are the way to go.

Here are a few of my former gray CoSTUME National bags to show color and style:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a CK Collection I still have:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Margiela did a pewter mid gray relatively recently.

7. rach2jlc

That was really a beautiful bag; my "bag freeze" at the time nearly thawed when I saw it... and then saw it on sale. I refrained, however, for the sake of my marriage. :lol:

8. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

great thread!

i browsed part 1 and 2 in few days and learn much.

just catch sight of a really nice looking bag from the armoury's tumblr.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

9. colabear

colabear Senior member

Marc Jacobs $275 minus 20% off, minus $20 for first time buyers so you are looking at $200 plus tax and shipping for a $1800 bag (original retail price)
    I own the same bag in a tan color. The leather is great and very spacious. Comes with a detachable shoulder strap.

https://www.therealreal.com/products/men/mens-bags/totes/marc-jacobs-tote-53

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

10. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

So I'm not a fan of this one, but can anyone recommend a decent sling bag, preferably in canvas? There was something from Kolor that seems to be entirely impossible to find. Not sure what else is out there.

11. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

I would just get a small flight bag, more along the lines of what Mills makes.
    I'm getting Island Canvas to make me one out of navy waxed canvas.

12. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Hmm...not quite what I had in mind, but a decent option. Thanks for the suggestion.

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Anyone here have any experience with Hunting World? It is a brand with a true, safari history. Apparently it's founder was a safari leader who also designed all of the gear. I recall they had a store in NYC for a few years and ran small ads in the New Yorker and NY Times. Anyone own or use it? What do you think of it's quality?

[​IMG]

14. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

last year i got this zagliani from yoox as my travel bag

really like the simplicity. and the leather touches great, very soft ( OK, too soft to hold shape i have to admit[​IMG]).

one inside zip pocket. all pig suede lined. no zip brand.

( the bag is a little heavy. i wonder whether it's a better choice if lined with some other kinds of leather,eg. goatskin)

the connection method of the handles looks fragile, this lets me down a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

15. gridplan

gridplan Member

Apologies if I've put these in the wrong thread. I'm not sure they qualify as man bags. They do, however, get the "murse" label quite a bit from coworkers.

[​IMG][​IMG]