The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

^ Gosh what you were thinking my friend? They are hideous.

Just kidding. They look nice, but very different. I assume they are similar in size? I prefer the look of the sailor bag but its lack of structure means it won't always look like that... Does the other one have pockets on the sides as well (additional to the ones on the front)?

2. ennui

ennui Senior member

^ Gosh what you were thinking my friend? They are hideous.

Just kidding. They look nice, but very different. I assume they are similar in size? I prefer the look of the sailor bag but its lack of structure means it won't always look like that... Does the other one have pockets on the sides as well (additional to the ones on the front)?

They are similar in size. The red/brown bag has pockets on both ends as well as the front, and has more structure.

I took a close look at the sailor bag again, and it's just too big and unstructured for me. There are additional snaps that attach the top corners to closer to the bottom of the bag, but the snaps are too weak to actually stay secured when lifting the bag by the shoulder strap. So it's definitely going back.

The red/brown bag comes pre-beat-up, looks big when I carry it, and I'm not sure if it really goes with the rest of my wardrobe. But I really like the way it looks, so I gotta think about it a bit more.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

what would you say is best bang for buck?
    It's hard to say because it all depends on exactly what you want, your style/wardrobe, your budget, etc. Here are a few that I've found well done for the money, but again it depends on your style (as these are all quite different.) Furla Uomo (rather trendy) Jas MB (sort of washed/worn/goth ninja) Chris&Tibor (modern/sleek/minimal) Lambertson Truex (more "traditional," but sadly no longer exists, but can be found on ebay) Samsonite Black Label (made in China, but often found at discount and quality quite good considering) The bad thing is that in the USA, our options for $500 range bags that are WELL made are limited. It seems like we have Kenneth Cole for $300, shitty Coach for $500, then jump to $1500 designer bags that often aren't well made. Then you have really boring "old man" bags that are well made, but look like something an Insurance salesman from 1950's Alabama would carry. Japan is killing us in this range, as you can get some really exceptional bags there for $500 to fit virtually every aesthetic.

4. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

They are similar in size. The red/brown bag has pockets on both ends as well as the front, and has more structure.

I took a close look at the sailor bag again, and it's just too big and unstructured for me. There are additional snaps that attach the top corners to closer to the bottom of the bag, but the snaps are too weak to actually stay secured when lifting the bag by the shoulder strap. So it's definitely going back.

The red/brown bag comes pre-beat-up, looks big when I carry it, and I'm not sure if it really goes with the rest of my wardrobe. But I really like the way it looks, so I gotta think about it a bit more.

Thanks for the further info on the bags. Re the sailor bag - I have little patience for expensive bags to have design flaws (snaps too weak to do the job).

Well, I am glad you have the option of either keeping or returning them. During sales season, that's not always the case!

5. jimmypeters

jimmypeters New Member

Can u please post a few images of the j crew bag. I've been drooling over that thing since it came out.
    Check out the bags at emilerwin.com

6. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Looking for a leather pouch to empty my pockets.... below 150 please. The smaller the better.

7. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

Any experiences with AB A Brand Apart ? ( Available at Luisa, Antonioli, Yoox... )

8. Meis

Meis Senior member

How are Johnston & Murphy's bags? Came across a few on ebay and considering picking one up as a cheap-ish work bag.

(Apologies if somebody already covered this, I searched the thread but nothing came up)

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

10. rach2jlc

Any experiences with AB A Brand Apart ? ( Available at Luisa, Antonioli, Yoox... )

I'm curious also; they look nice, but the prices are steep. Definitely would want to see in person before laying that kind of cash down.

How are Johnston & Murphy's bags? Came across a few on ebay and considering picking one up as a cheap-ish work bag.

(Apologies if somebody already covered this, I searched the thread but nothing came up)

What I've seen has been really lackluster. Think Kenneth Cole, only with "Johnston & Murphy" printed on them. I'd definitely look elsewhere, unless you can get the bag VERY cheaply. I probably wouldn't pay $50 for one, honestly.

11. rach2jlc

70% off sale from Trussardi 1911. Great prices on some beautiful bags, especially the soft briefcase/document carrier (available in black and brown). $1300 down to $390. If I didn't have a soft brief already that I use, I'd definitely think about this one. http://www.shop.trussardi1911.com/in...rmCatID/20619/

12. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Damn ^

13. Magic1

Magic1 Senior member

I'd love to get an overnight bag from Trussardi, but the "small travel bag" is really small...16 inches long? That's just a tad too small to be able to carry much of anything. Thats basically a nice sized work bag. Personally, I'm looking for a bag that can carry some personal stuff (ipod, chargers, laptop, a book, notepad), change of clothes, and toiletries.

Also, can they please get away from camouflage? yuck...

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

70% off sale from Trussardi 1911. Great prices on some beautiful bags, especially the soft briefcase/document carrier (available in black and brown). $1300 down to $390. If I didn't have a soft brief already that I use, I'd definitely think about this one.

http://www.shop.trussardi1911.com/in...rmCatID/20619/

Dammit. Why is the photo for the dark brown not working?

15. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

I'm curious on what you guys think about these bags the company I work for are making for some Japanese gents. They are satchel type man bags. We make gun holsters so this is a stretch for us.

http://uptownseb.tumblr.com/post/206...h-cut-railroad

Both bags have a good sized inside, side pouch, unlined with either a big fat brass or nickle zipper. Both satchels are tough with no lining, just canvass and leather.