The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Would be lying if I said that I wasn't feeling this bag. http://www.lanvin.com/e-lanvin/men/b...pping-bag.html
    I like a lot of Lanvin's styles for bags, but I find the quality for the price to be so out of whack that I just have never brought myself to buy one. Crappy hardware, lackluster materials/linings, etc. Beyond that, I find a lot of them "droop" or fold oddly, or are hard to carry. For $595, I'm scared what that bag is actually like in person (this based on some of their $1595 bags for which I wouldn't pay $250.) If I saw it in person and could handle it for myself, that might be different, but I'd never buy a Lanvin bag sight unseen. Edit: IMHO, the worst "bang for buck" brands of the major players are Lanvin, Dior, Ferragamo, and Tod's. Not to say it's "junk," but when an $1800 bag has midgrade leather, cheap nylon lining, and chintzy YKK zippers, it hardly leaves me going "WOOOOW!" LV and Prada may be overpriced or garishly logo'd, but I still think quality-wise their $1500-2000 bags far outstrip these others.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Helmut Lang's new incarnation decided to add bags... wow... what in the world were they thinking? I decree these bags decidedly... Molluskular. [​IMG]

3. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

4. Desi

Desi Senior member

yeah....no. I'll just get a Celine Paris bag.

5. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

I've been casually following this thread and haven't seen Bean's Vacation Bag anywhere. I think both colours look great. The Heritage Tote ain't bad either.

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I'd like to stuff that bag full of my junk, if you know what I mean....
    Helmut Lang's new incarnation decided to add bags... wow... what in the world were they thinking? I decree these bags decidedly... Molluskular.
    I've been looking everywhere, even for just a PICTURE, of a bag I could have sworn I saw a couple of years ago. I'm almost sure if was a Tumi, or Want Les Essentials, but maybe I was wrong. It looked a lot like a 257, quite rectangular, each of the corners had a leather sort of cap on it and a simple leather handle, no strap. The cool think was that it was a light yellow canvas with dark brown leather corner caps. I think the color was something like cornflower yellow or something... anyone?

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I like a lot of Lanvin's styles for bags, but I find the quality for the price to be so out of whack that I just have never brought myself to buy one. Crappy hardware, lackluster materials/linings, etc. Beyond that, I find a lot of them "droop" or fold oddly, or are hard to carry.

For $595, I'm scared what that bag is actually like in person (this based on some of their $1595 bags for which I wouldn't pay $250.) If I saw it in person and could handle it for myself, that might be different, but I'd never buy a Lanvin bag sight unseen.

Edit: IMHO, the worst "bang for buck" brands of the major players are Lanvin, Dior, Ferragamo, and Tod's. Not to say it's "junk," but when an $1800 bag has midgrade leather, cheap nylon lining, and chintzy YKK zippers, it hardly leaves me going "WOOOOW!" LV and Prada may be overpriced or garishly logo'd, but I still think quality-wise their $1500-2000 bags far outstrip these others.

what would you say is best bang for buck?

10. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

I can't buy something with the word "bean" in it.
    What about Tornado Bean? Their new diffusion line... [​IMG]
    I'd like to stuff that bag full of my junk, if you know what I mean.... I've been looking everywhere, even for just a PICTURE, of a bag I could have sworn I saw a couple of years ago. I'm almost sure if was a Tumi, or Want Les Essentials, but maybe I was wrong. It looked a lot like a 257, quite rectangular, each of the corners had a leather sort of cap on it and a simple leather handle, no strap. The cool think was that it was a light yellow canvas with dark brown leather corner caps. I think the color was something like cornflower yellow or something... anyone?
    Doesn't sound like a Tumi... Re Want - I keep thinking that color combination sounded like something they did as a special edition for an online retailer? Argh...this is going to bug me! I could be wrong though...senility is setting in these days. Have you checked Selectism? Oh that Helmut bag is truly hideous. Poor Helmut seeing his name on this type of monstrosity. What a shame - the bags under his direction were very nice.

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

What about Tornado Bean? Their new diffusion line... [​IMG]

LOL

Bean Mart?

12. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

^Yes, and Beanmamoto, Beanie Biyake, and wait for it....Beanrajuju. Back to bags [​IMG] Any review on Ally Capellino? I like a few of her pieces, but some of the names are a bit off. "Dick" bag?! There's already a "Richard". I am in Hong Kong at the moment. Re bags - there is certainly more variety - for example, I have seen more interesting variations on duffle bags. Totes are defo more popular amongst men here vs the US.

13. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

I have a bag from here that I sort of fell out of love with. It turned out the style just wasn't for me. The quality, however, was impeccable for the price. EDIT: Found a picture of mine: [​IMG]

14. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Their bags remind me of Saddleback.

The one you have looks similar to the one by Sir and Madame. There seems to be more leather satchels on the market these days. If you want something similar, you should have some good options.

15. ennui

ennui Senior member