Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Largo

Largo Senior member

I've only seen it at two of the Bloomingdale's in NYC, but there's an Italian brand called Campomaggi that I'm fond of, if you're into the whole distressed/washed leather aesthetic. Most of their bags are just slight spins off of classic styles, although there are some more embellished versions they have with some superfluous stitching and studs and whatnot. Price point is about 400-900, zippers are usually Lampos (some YKKs as well, though), seems like a decent amount of handwork on them, they're pretty nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My bag, although mine's black: [​IMG]

2. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

Here's my bag I got from Blueowl 'cause my crappy one fell apart. Comes with me most days, super happy with it. All the zippers and little details are super nice. Hopefully it'll handle the weight of my books. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. djibouti

djibouti Senior member

As for the wine bottle holder...I'm doing some web design work for a leather guy in rural Illinois. He's a saddle maker and makes bags/small leather goods as well. Truly incredible stuff.

[​IMG]

Here's a wine holder he does. Lots of handstitching, partially lined in shearling. I honestly don't know the price point but I'll make a more comprehensive post with better images when I hear back from him. He's not a technology person, he doesn't even own a computer, so this may take a while.

If someone is very interested in one of these in particular, give me a PM and I can get you information more quickly.

4. onion

onion Senior member

[​IMG]

Just came across this pic online... Goyard/Mastermind Japan collabo? Yikes... unless you're Keith Richards, how in the world could you make this stuff work?

[​IMG]

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

As for the wine bottle holder...I'm doing some web design work for a leather guy in rural Illinois. He's a saddle maker and makes bags/small leather goods as well. Truly incredible stuff.

[​IMG]

Here's a wine holder he does. Lots of handstitching, partially lined in shearling. I honestly don't know the price point but I'll make a more comprehensive post with better images when I hear back from him. He's not a technology person, he doesn't even own a computer, so this may take a while.

If someone is very interested in one of these in particular, give me a PM and I can get you information more quickly.

this is dope as hell i think you should find out the price and post it

6. softy

softy Senior member

Moment of indecision, soliciting feedback.
    How do y'all feel about this backpack from Herz?

http://www.leatherbag.co.jp/2_basic/...se/c/c143.html
    [​IMG]

I've always considered a backpack to be too frumpy, but lately I'm rethinking it. Seems like being able to have your hands free is a worthwhile luxury. Plus, the bag linked above is sort of the anti-backpack in terms of pared-down profile and the way it opens from above.

I was about to order one a few months ago but have held off, because I have this nagging feeling I'm going to be like "Fuuuck this stupid backpack."

There's always this thing:
    http://www.leatherbag.co.jp/2_basic/...se/c/c147.html
    [​IMG]

In case I want to be decent and carry it by hand.

I am partial to the first one, though.

7. Flursheim

Flursheim Active Member

Boy, a lot of great info on this thread. Thanks all for contributing. I've gathered lots of great ideas from the designs I've seen. It provides for great inspiration when one is working on new bag line.

Thanks again.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I LOVE this. This is what I had hoped for but didn't really know what it would look like. The saddle leather and stitching really makes it. I can see this aging over time and looking even better. The sheepskin coaster is a nice touch!

Thanks for posting. I want one.

[​IMG]

9. onion

onion Senior member

I saw this posted over on Sufu. No idea who made it.

[​IMG]

10. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

I like this Prada Saffiano duffle:

[​IMG]

But $2240 (from Saks)?? [​IMG]

Some Billykirk/tool bag lookie likies here. It seems that everyone is getting into producing bags of this style. I wish they would at least put a spin on the design. Keeping the same design and using different materials can get a bit dull after a while, especially when multiple bag makers are doing the same thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first three are made by John and Mary (currently on sale!); the last one is from Sir and Madame. I can't comment on their quality as I have never seen them irl. I find it odd that the shoulder strap is attached to the back of the handles. Billykirk is doing that, too. I know that would help keep the bag in shape when the shoulder strap is used, but I don't think it's that user friendly. I have tried it - the strap always gets in the way of getting things out of the bag. It's not that comfortable either.

11. Yardsale

Yardsale Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] lol @ some of the manpurses in this thread

12. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I just got a Thin Briefcase (medium) from Saddleback in Dark Tobacco: [​IMG] Heavy bag, but it fits what I need for a day to class, and it is extremely durable. I've gotten many compliments on it already.

13. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

lol @ some of the manpurses in this thread

lol @ your ugly-ass timbuk

14. TimH

TimH Senior member

Moment of indecision, soliciting feedback.
    How do y'all feel about this backpack from Herz?

http://www.leatherbag.co.jp/2_basic/...se/c/c143.html

I've always considered a backpack to be too frumpy, but lately I'm rethinking it. Seems like being able to have your hands free is a worthwhile luxury. Plus, the bag linked above is sort of the anti-backpack in terms of pared-down profile and the way it opens from above.

I was about to order one a few months ago but have held off, because I have this nagging feeling I'm going to be like "Fuuuck this stupid backpack."

There's always this thing:
    http://www.leatherbag.co.jp/2_basic/...se/c/c147.html

In case I want to be decent and carry it by hand.

HMMM.

Great take on the theme especially in London Tan colour - used it a lot over the years and still love it.