• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
What's the deal with supergayz and totes/handbags in general? I'm curious what attracts them to these items more than anything else.

Real talk.

And don't say to carry ****, 99% of other men don't need them on a daily basis.

Shorty Long

Reaction score
I'd like to get this bag...
http://www.billykirk.com/page.cfm?id...8&xid=53753800

95C_FRONT2.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Thanks for that insightful answer, please don't think so hard before you post next time.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
got a filson, felt like a chick with a tote
so i got this with a shoulder strap

043.JPG

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
What's the deal with supergayz and totes/handbags in general? I'm curious what attracts them to these items more than anything else.

Real talk.

And don't say to carry ****, 99% of other men don't need them on a daily basis.

99% of men also don't give a **** about clothes

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Bags are most useful in other countries, or countries where public transport or walking in the main method of travel.

You have Travel passes, passport, mp3, cell phone, wallet, currency, other misc items... I'd like to see you carry that in your pockets + camera.

Other uses are for bike transportation and in other metro areas; with the same logic applied.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
no one likes Jack Spade, or is their quality bad?
Quality and designs are average. They've become pretty ubiquitous, especially among the young Apple toting tech crowds on the west coast.

Originally Posted by Composer_1777
Bags are most useful in other countries, or countries where public transport or walking in the main method of travel.

You have Travel passes, passport, mp3, cell phone, wallet, currency, other misc items... I'd like to see you carry that in your pockets + camera.

Other uses are for bike transportation and in other metro areas; with the same logic applied.

This.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Stupid question. What did you expect? I don't think anyone is gonna admit that they are part of the sekrit **** conspiracy to emasculate the American male.

How the **** are you answering my question of what attracts gay men to totes/handbags? You know what on second thought just shut the **** and don't respond to my posts.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I once saw a gaggle of gays carrying conspicuously fake Hermes Birkins. One of them was even a God-awful alligator print.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
How the **** are you answering my question of what attracts gay men to totes/handbags? You know what on second thought just shut the **** and don't respond to my posts.
Real talk? Don't **** up this thread with douchetardism or catty bitchfights, pleez. There are already enough queens around here. Anyway, IMHO, it has nothing to do with being gay, except possibly that gay men tend not to care what is expected "socially" in terms of accoutrement and so carry the items they feel are more stylish/aesthetically pleasing and that hold all that they need to carry. Dorky briefcases or messenger bags often tend to be less than aesthetically amazing. As well, briefcases are actually quite small and dont hold much, but the larger they get, it's like carrying a suitcase around (no thanks). Messengers have straps that (especially if you walk) pull, wrinkle, and cause sweat stains on a shirt. As for backpacks... well... they're just ugly as hell. In short, it's just about aesthetics, personal taste, and the amount of stuff you carry. Given the above, often totes and handbag styles are the way to go.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The gays compliment my filson and engineered garments totes a lot, or maybe they're just hitting on me. I don't really know.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
The gays compliment my filson and engineered garments totes a lot, or maybe they're just hitting on me. I don't really know.

We're hitting on you.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Other assorted info: WATCH OUT FOR LICENSES! I forgot to mention before that some brands have licenses around the world and so, if you are buying sight unseen, you might get stuck with a sub-par bag from a big name: "Japan-only" licenses (made for Japanese market, lower prices, not as high quality, so be careful) 1. Burberry: Lots of licenses in Japan. The bags aren't BAD, by any means, but they tend to run about half the price of other items, especially Black Label, Blue Label, etc. 2. Vivienne Westwood. 3. Paul Smith. 4. Lanvin "Collection" and Lanvin "En Bleu" 5. Jean-Paul Gaultier (he has TONS of licenses in Japan) 6. Missoni 7. Sonia Rykiel 8. EZ Zegna 9. Blackbarrett Neil Barrett Others: 4. Gianfranco Ferre: Licenses have been bought up, but for a while there were some cheap made in China items with his name on them. I see these on Ebay a lot, so be very careful. 5. Valentino Garavani: same as Ferre 6. Givenchy: They STILL have a few items made in China. They are rather crappy in comparison, so be careful. 7. Dior, YSL, Balenciaga: BE CAREFUL! Items made before 2000 or 2001 are often really junky, though some vintage items made in France are nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads