1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bally "Tagutti" weekender

Not bad for Spring/Summer...

The last several seasons Bally has done a nice job with relaxed, functional, minimally styled bags that are quite well made. Pricepoint is higher than they really need to be, given that Bally (at least in the USA) isnt terribly popular/well known, but for a `designer` brand, they are pretty good.

2. aaronxxx

aaronxxx Senior member

I need this bag!

Vans X Filson
    [​IMG]

If anyone gets any info on price or where to buy it please share.

it's a special bag that's being released with the shoes

3. MS007

MS007 Senior member

4. DLester

DLester Senior member

That BV laptop bag is nice but iirc it will not fit a 15" macbook. I was considering it but went with a BV brief that was a bit larger. I like BV in brown better than black.

5. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

^ It isn't BV, but Ted Baker. It isn't even made of leather, but 100% polyurethane... [​IMG]

6. MS007

MS007 Senior member

you are right... I thought it was leather since the trim on the first one are. Its a shame, since I like the design.

7. onion

onion Senior member

This one from Phillip Lim looks nice. I can't seem to find any additional photos though. Anyone know what quality is like on his bags? I know his clothes can be hit or miss quite often in that area.

[​IMG]

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

This one from Phillip Lim looks nice. I can't seem to find any additional photos though. Anyone know what quality is like on his bags? I know his clothes can be hit or miss quite often in that area.
    ]

I have limited experience, though retail pricing seems to be fairly less than most designer brands, with decent styling. My guess would be decent/middling quality, probably made in China or here-and-there. They used to carry a lot of his stuff on Eluxury (the 3.1 Philp Lim, which I assume this is?)

He has recently gotten more popular, and so perhaps his pricing isnt as seemingly reasonable as it once was. SO, I definitely would only get it if you see it in person OR order it from a place where you can return it if it ends up being blech.

9. as_

as_ Senior member

10. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Thoughts on this bag? How is it for the price? I'm looking for something for college that I can haul my 15" MBP around in. Student budget, you know. [​IMG]

http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...cessoriesmen80

Not bad for the price, but the length of the shoulder strap is not adjustable, so depending on how tall you are, it might not work out well. The "length of strap" listed refers to the handles. The bag is also soft so unless you have your own laptop sleeve, it is not going to offer much protection.

I like the Phillip Lim bag. I have never seen any of his bags irl though.

11. as_

as_ Senior member

Any other suggestions for a nice black bag at a sub-$250 price point, then? Paying for out-of-state tuition leaves me a bit strapped for cash. I've checked Yoox and Gilt, but wasn't able to find anything particularly fantastic for the price.

12. NowhereOutThere

NowhereOutThere Senior member

I've been looking into getting a messenger bag for some time now, and I think I've settled on this one by Coach, listed at $378. However, I have heard horror stories about Coach's reliability and leather quality, but $400 is going to be the most I would spend. I think it is aesthetically pleasing, but I want it to hold up like a champ. What do you guys think? Is there anything that looks similar, but is sturdy? Is Coach quality as bad as I have heard?
    [​IMG]

13. APK

APK Senior member

[​IMG]

That natural leather is going to look crazy paired with the navy blue once it's got a couple months of oiling and wear under its belt. Great price, too ($175).

14. dibadiba

dibadiba Senior member

That natural leather is going to look crazy paired with the navy blue once it's got a couple months of oiling and wear under its belt. Great price, too ($175).

+1. I've made a bag in an identical colorway and it looks badass when the leather ages

15. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

+1. I've made a bag in an identical colorway and it looks badass when the leather ages

Diba!! Well, post some pics then :)

16. as_

as_ Senior member

17. Platypus

Platypus Senior member

Thought I'd add a couple brands that haven't been reviewed in this thread yet.

Ann Demeulemeester ($600-1800)
    PROS: Nicely styled, well thought out (I feel a lot of designer bags compromise usability for so-called style), and use good quality materials. There are several base styles (i.e. the weekender and sling bags) she tends to use, but she changes it up with materials and details each season.
    CONS: Prices are not cheap (actually, the bigger problem is that I find her prices fluctuate/vary quite a bit with one style fabric bag being over a thousand one season while another similar style is several hundred less the next). I also feel that the bags featuring stiffer leathers are not executed as well as the others.
    FINAL VERDICT: If you like the aesthetic, Ann Demeulemeester is a solid, sometimes excellent, choice.

Guidi ($1000-2000)
    PROS: Simple, functional, beautiful styles that are well-made out of fantastic leathers. Limited number of styles, but lots of leather / color options. The company is a leather tannery and the leather and the dyeing is really top notch (the one I own (and that had been on my want-list for a number of years) is a thick/soft horse leather with shades of black, various grays, and a hint of brown).
    CONS: Expensive, though IMO not that bad compared to some of the popular luxury labels. Some might find them too distressed/arte-povera/however you want to refer to it (for example; the dyeing is sometimes purposefully uneven and the inside of the bags usually features only the reverse of the leather (and a pocket or two)).
    FINAL VERDICT: If you lean towards the aesthetic provided by this brand, Guidi is an excellent (and probably my personal top) choice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Thought I'd add a couple brands that haven't been reviewed in this thread yet.

Ann Demeulemeester ($600-2000)
    PROS: Nicely styled, well thought out (I feel a lot of designer bags compromise usability for so-called style), and use good quality materials. The bags are There are several base styles (i.e. the weekender and sling bags) she tends to use, but she changes it up with materials and details each season.
    CONS: Prices are not cheap (actually, the bigger problem is that I find her prices fluctuate/vary quite a bit with one style fabric bag being over a thousand one season while another similar style is several hundred less the next). I also feel that the bags featuring stiffer leathers are not executed as well as the others.
    FINAL VERDICT: If you like the aesthetic, Ann Demeulemeester is a solid, sometimes excellent, choice.

I concur - Ann Dem's materials are very nice. I checked out of a couple of her bags for FW2010 - a rucksack and sling bag - soft, lux, well constructed and designed. Prices are around 1000-1200 - way above my budget, but compared to what's out there, not too outrageous.

Thanks for the review!

19. dareone

dareone Senior member

what's your guys' opinion on mulholland bros?

20. MS007

MS007 Senior member

Thoughts on this bag? Seems pretty solid for the price to me.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Kenneth-Cole-R...287706&sr=8-11

The leather looks cheap, but this could be the photo. Have never handled kenneth cole bags myself. Good deal, besides that.