1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

@rach2jlc still balenciaga talk. I just searched this thread for your opinions...

the "crinkly leather" you posted actually looked quite good and structured. But the women handbags in similar setup looked and felt shitty though when I handled them in store a few days back...? have you noticed a drop in quality recently?

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oops, I missed your balenciaga discussion. I haven't seen any recent Balenciaga collections (meaning the past two years or so).

BUT, in the old days, the "crinkly" bags were a very nice coated goatskin (IIRC). Soft, supple, yet very hard wearing. I have no idea what they are using these days. Like YSL (another Gucci group brand), I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've cut additional corners (for example, the YSL bags marked "Bufalo" mostly aren't actually buffalo anymore, but a cheaper coated calf). What used to be heavy brass RIRI or LAMPO zips or FIOCCHI snaps are some very light, crappy feeling "YSL" self-stamped stuff.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Kira

Kira Senior member

Oh, I'm not interested in those style of bags. As I already mentioned, I stepped away from those. I'm more interested in totes and doctor's bags; especially the ones with pockets/dividers. I'm not a fan with the bags that have a completely barren interior.

I forgot to tell you that bag is listed for $100 on Ebay. Nevertheless, I won't buy it. Thanks for pointing out the tag! From now on, I'm just going to post pictures of potential bags I like and ask for honest opinions. It's better to ask before buying so I won't get buyer's remorse.

4. rach2jlc

Yeah, Dunhill and such leave me unimpressed as well. In the past few seasons, too, I was surprised to see $1000+ bags made in China from unimpressive leather and hardware. Asprey is a little too "stuffy" for most users, as well.

I agree re: totes; keep a lookout on Ebay as sometimes they'll have some nice Margiela or Neil Barrett Totes at fair prices. Neil Barrett is one who often flies under the radar, but makes some nice standard minimal bags. A lot of people forget he worked under Miuccia Prada back in the 1990's to make the early Prada men's collections (which were really very nice).

You might also look up Leonello Borghi on ebay; he's not stellar by any means, but again on ebay you can sometimes find a pretty good deal. Jas MB (mentioned above) might also be one you might like.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  5. rach2jlc

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. NonChalant321

NonChalant321 Senior member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014