1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. fazalmajid

fazalmajid Well-Known Member

I have the 257 in tan (bought when on sale from Brooks Brothers). It's certainly tough, but the capacity is unimpressive for a bag that size - my 15" MacBook Pro barely fits in with its protective sleeve.

Quote:
    I can't stand unlined leather. I bought this Marc Jacobs bag a couple of weeks ago from Mr Porter for much less ($400):
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/395028
    [​IMG]
    It's fully lined, made entirely of leather including the strap, has nice hardware including tab closures that are way more usable than leather belt-and-buckle closures, and it can take my MacBook Pro despite being significantly smaller than the Filson 257. I happen to love green, but it's also available in black.

I think it's official - Filson is now charging a designer premium over the intrinsic value of its bags, like Mismo, Porter or Want les Essentiels de la Vie (I must confess I never understood the attraction of Mismo).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

anyone handled the Everlane backpacks? What do you guys think of the general design and quality for the price ($75?).

Going to be used to carry a laptop (has built in pocket) and occasional weekend roadtrip.

3. colabear

colabear Senior member

4. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Where can I get a helmet bag?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  5. colabear

colabear Senior member

stopped by Barneys tonight to exchange the red Bal bag with an ugly mark. Initially I wanted to get the red to add Pop to my 3 coats that I will be wearing this winter but maybe come spring I will be tired of the red so I decided to get a brown one with no glazing which looks more natural. Tonight, I noticed it was pretty busy and I found out that it was the launch of Jay Z 's collaboration with different brands and the products started to sell tonight. [​IMG] Barneys 2013 holiday shopping bag [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Rev0

Rev0 Member

Any ideas/.

7. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

I searched the thread but saw no mention of Frye bags -- does anyone have any comments on their quality? I'm interested in their Logan Flap Briefcase. It's tempting right now as amazn's 25% off code shaves $125 from the normal cost, but I'm not sure if it's well-constructed. (I'm also looking at the Allen Edmonds Double Strap) Thoughts? Alternatives?

[​IMG]

8. SmileForum

SmileForum Senior member

Have you thought about Saddleback leather? they make some hardcore bags with a similar aesthetic, and possibly lower in cost with better materials, and construction.

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Anyone?

10. mixProtocol

Yeah -- I like the sturdier construction of the Saddleback bag, especially their "Front Pocket Briefcase". Their leather also looks much more substantial and rigid than the Frye bag. But, I think the Saddleback stuff has too much hardware (4 metal rings on the bottom and an extra 2 on each side) and I really want quick-release clasps instead of regular buckles (like you see if you zoom into the bottom-right corner of the third image for the Frye bag).

Does anyone know if Saddleback makes anything with a quick release? Otherwise, any recommendations on a messenger-style breifcase that looks like the Frye, with the sturdiness of the Saddleback and with quick-release buckles?

Basically, I want a bag like this, but with quick-release:
    [​IMG]

Options?

11. mixProtocol

It turns out that the bag in the picture (Custom Hide's Scholar w/ Pockets) does have quick-release clasps....

Can anyone comment on their quality? I searched the forum, but most of the posts are several years old.

12. slimaneism

slimaneism Active Member

Killspencer has some similar to toj.

13. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. RuffyD

RuffyD Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. kidkorea

kidkorea Senior member

IISE Fall Winter 2014
    Http://II-SE.CO

Some of the new styles

Buffalo Daypack - Black
    [​IMG]

Buffalo Minimal Tech - Black
    [​IMG]

Buffalo Weekender - Black
    [​IMG]

Buffalo Briefcase - Black
    [​IMG]

Buffalo Tote - Black
    [​IMG]

You can check out the rest of the styles in the new collection on Facebook page.

1 person likes this.
  16. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

I just posted this on the sales thread:

"Entermodal is having a sample sale: http://www.handsomewinsome.com

For those who don't know, Portland-based Larry Olmstead of Entermodal has been producing high-end and fully handmade (not hands pushing leather through a machine) bags and accessories since 2004, mostly for MTO clientele with some retail distribution in the past. He has an even longer history of designing bags and managing bag productions. The quality of his products is guaranteed for life.

Entermodal's website: http://www.entermodal.com"

I know Larry personally and he is a great guy - feel free to get in touch with him if you have any questions.

Edit: P.S. If you are interested in Archival Clothing messengers and musettes, check my items for sale! :embar:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

If I needed a briefcase, I'd pick that one up (provided interior pockets are thoughtfully laid out, which I'm sure they are).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  18. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

I saw that gray messenger bag irl - so gorgeous. The leather felt so good.

19. jet

jet Senior member

fuck i want the calabrese doctor bag

20. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I like. Navy or brown?