1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ScootManSam

ScootManSam Well-Known Member

Yea I went through all your previous EA messenger bag posts and quality seems great. I'm sure the quality is every bit as good on these. There seems to be a lot of information on EA messenger bags, but not much on the larger overnight/weekend bags. At $395, does this seem like a good value?

This one is currently out of stock, but I emailed him to put me on the reserve list and he informed me they would be back in mid to late September. Seemed very nice. I imagine it's not Ernest himself replying to these emails anymore but I could be wrong.

2. edwinl

edwinl Well-Known Member

Anyone got a recommendation for a tan leather folio - maybe even one that'll hold a 13inch Macbook Air (not strictly necessary but nice to have)? Under $300 preferably.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. ScootManSam

Berg and Berg is having a one-day sale on some really nice folios. Discounted down to 124 euros from 248. I don't think you'll find a better deal than that. Looks like they still have several shades of mid/light brown. http://bergbergstore.com/leather-goods/portfolios-cases.html

1 person likes this.
  4. edwinl

edwinl Well-Known Member

Awesome! Just picked it up along with the tan braided belt. Thanks a bunch for the heads up!

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

As a belated update, I finally went with this MMM bag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ScootManSam

Great, glad to help. I've been drooling over some of their belts and wallets for a while now. Unfortunately the one's I really like didn't go on sale... Took quite a bit of self control to not pull the trigger on one anyways. Be sure to post some pics when they arrive.

7. edwinl

edwinl Well-Known Member

Yeah would have been great if the vachetta stuff wad on sale. Good enough for now though. Will do, cheers!

8. coolron

coolron Senior member

Hi everyone I'm looking for a bag for college. I need a bag that can hold a 15 inch laptop, a textbook or two and some notebooks. My tastes are more classic menswear and I'm trying to find a bag in the 350ish range. Right now I have my eyes on the Mismo tote.
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/343452

Other bags I'm looking at are the Ernest Alexander wax brief

http://www.ernestalexander.com/shop/bags/watson-brief?product=389

and the Apolis Filson briefcase and courier bags.

http://store.apolisglobal.com/luggage/filson-apolis-philanthropist-briefcase/#black

http://store.apolisglobal.com/luggage/heritage-leather-apolis-mason-courier-bag/#navy

9. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

All are fine looks wise. Depending on your major, there's no way some of those will hold your textbooks and if they do - it will get pretty heavy pretty quickly. Also, don't be that asshole who wears a suit to class.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

You will hurt your shoulder if you carry all that in a messenger bag, not to mention made with heavy canvas. Wear a backpack, and save messenger for outside class.
    Also, don't be that asshole who wears a suit to class.

11. fazalmajid

fazalmajid Well-Known Member

If you are not looking to carry anything thick or awkwardly shaped, this limited edition Adobe messenger bag, marked down from $250 to $50 is quite good and a steal at the price. Make sure you read the reviews and understand the trade-offs behind the roll-top closure first:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Leather-Notebook-Computer-Messenger/dp/B001O8045S/

12. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior member

Some decent, inexpensive tote options from Saturdays:

Toro- 16"x17", $110, also available in solid black:
    [​IMG]

Cory- 19"x16", $95, only available in print:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Desi

Desi Senior member

Nice ones! The print one is lovely

14. coolron

coolron Senior member

Ended up going with the Filson Red Label Zippered Tote in Navy.
    [​IMG]

15. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
  16. Kai

Kai Senior member

I don't know anything about that bag. However, my wife owned and used a Coach purse for more than a decade. It wore very well, and looked good.

17. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

^ Do you think the older Coach products were of better quality? I can't comment on that bag because I have not seen it irl but I keep hearing the quality of current Coach products are not very good (with regard to price to quality ratio). It is my pet peeves, though, that a leather duffle bag comes with a nylon strap. It's a cost cutting move by the company. I think it's look so much better with a leather strap.

18. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

So guys,

This bag whore has finally pulled the trigger and bought a tote. It's the WANT Les Essentiels O'Hare tote. I have attached two stock photos (from Oak NYC and Mr. Porter). I really like it. If the handles were longer, I wouldn't have bought it. It's a personal thing of course but most tote handles are too long for me - the form factor is quite different. The leather is very good - it's super soft and lush. It's roomy, and I like the size of it. I won't fill it up of course, but the size contributes to the overall look. It's made in Italy. I think WANT's more recent leather products are no longer made in Europe. Their canvas stuff has always been made outside of N America and Europe, I think...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    2 people like this.
  19. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Sorry I missed it. Did you bid on it? I am not a fan of the contrast stitching. Made it too busy but I am a minimalist at heart.