1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior member

^I have not been impressed with the quality of Lanvin's bags (or even the RTW, for that matter). Earlier this year I got the hard sell on a printed nylon/leather tote that felt cheap to the touch- but it was on sale for "only" $700.

What I find irritating about Lanvin is that they seem to have two distinct levels of quality: good (made in Italy or France, almost exclusively over $2k) and absolute garbage (made in Turkey, China, etc. and priced from $500-2000).

2. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

I don't know the date they moved to China, but doing the 90s the quality was still good.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1, my feelings exactly. It's a shame, because the styling on some was quite interesting. Anyway, this is one reason why Lanvin (in addition Ferragamo and Dior) are on my "no go" bag list... except at STEEEEEP discount.

In general, with brands that are not primarily bag/luggage makers, we have to remember that (1) the creative directors generally don't handle bags, leaving them to a design team or an accessories designer, (2) the design teams often have little control over the actual manufacture/license of the item (which is generally not in house) and (3) anytime the budget/accounting guys get involved to make decisions, they are going to cut corners.

I've HEARD that in the past few seasons lanvin has been more receptive to the major complaints of its bags falling apart, but I don't know how much of this has carried over into the men's lines (mostly it was for the famous women's handbag that was $2000 and basically fell apart like a rotten fruit).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. Ackord02

Ackord02 Senior member

CNE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. Coeurshapexbox

Coeurshapexbox New Member

those bags are called Faux bags. :) [​IMG]

6. holdens

holdens New Member

Anyone have suggestions for a bag similar to the Phillip Lim 31 hour bag, but with a long strap (need a strap for commuting)?

I thought about getting a strap to the Lim, but not sure this is possible due to the zipper placement.

I'm planning on using it for a work bag to carry a laptop (company assigned which is heavy and big unfortunately), papers, wires, etc. I'm looking for nice leather, something that is durable, and looks nice enough for corporate law. Under $1K if possible. Thanks.

[​IMG]

7. holdens

holdens New Member

Any suggestions for a bag that looks similar to the Phillip Lim 31 hour bag, but with both a handle and a long strap (need it for commuting)?

I was considering trying to get a leather worker to attach a long strap to the Lim, but I'm not sure that would work due to the placement of the zippers.

I'd use it for a work bag to carry a laptop (large and heavy company assigned, unfortunately), wires, papers, etc. I'm looking for a similar look, nice leather, durable, corporate law appropriate, and hopefully under $1K. Thanks.

[​IMG]

8. SHS

SHS Senior member

Does anyone know anything about the quality from the swedish brand baron?

http://www.baron.se/world/

I like some of their country Collection looks. It also reminds me of the styles made by Dubarry.

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Reminds me of Filson.

Rach, Wolverine is making luggage these days under the 1000 mile line. They have a messenger that looks interesting. Def the country style so it's probably something I'll end up with. It should work well when a 257 is too much and my SBL satchel is not enough.

10. rabbit

rabbit Member

Can anyone help identify the season/quality of this MMM briefbag? I tried searching and found nothing, and the MMM site archives are a pain to navigate. Having read this thread, it seems like the quality for all MMM bags are generally good, however this one is a canvas bag that I'm on the fence about, and I would assume most comments were for the leather collection. The canvas is not waxed so a little splash test just got absorbed, and the interior lining is a cotton that is "loose" against the bag structure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To sort of hijack my own reply, did the quality for Jack Spade go down significantly that there is so much disdain for them on SF? I'm looking to replace my JS canvas messenger that has been used nearly daily for about 7 years- the quality has been phenomenal, though im now getting the seams blown out on both sides where the strap connects to the bag. (can post pics of that issue too).

thanks!

11. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

12. SHS

SHS Senior member

Does anyone know a european brand that makes a good duffel bag, but is not as expensive (or good, I know) as e. g. SAB? For instance I like some bags from J. W. Hulme, Schlesinger and Filson, but it pains me to pay the extra customs money for stuff from the USA. Some english options could be Pickett, SageBrown or Maxwell Scott. Does anyone have opinions on these brands, and/or other options?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. Ackord02

Ackord02 Senior member

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  14. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior member

Those two bags have different styles, fabrications, are are not even remotely in the same price range.

The difference? I wouldn't touch the MbMJ, but I'd carry the Givenchy if someone gave it to me. I wouldn't spend money on either.

15. engar

engar Senior member

16. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

hi gents,

on a recent trip to paris on the eurostar, i felt a inelegant with my delsey black canvas roll on luggage.

so, was thinking to purchase some type of holdall. i want something that i can keep long term, and something of good quality. also need a bag thatis versatile - i may use it for weekend trips (patch pocket blazers and jeans or grey flannels), or for business trips (grey flannel suits or worsted grey suits) i want somethign that doesnt scream too loudly (no logos if possible) i am leaning towards brown or tan rather than black, but hard to find nice mens holdalls in my opinion.

here are the options i found so far, any opinions on which best suited and the colour? i do like the shape of some of the bottega veneta (out of my budget) and ysl bags (not crazy about Y logo)..

so all i have found is..

tan or havana in SAB (not sure which is less formal of the two bags, or more classic)

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/pullman/index.html

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/camb19_h/index.html

dunhill (dont think this bag made anymore)
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/198318/big-timer-dunhill-tradition-bridle-leather-holdall

mulberry clipper in tan or black (although i'm not crazy about the logo, OR the shape and wonder how the quality is as is the same price as SAB)
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/301604

YSL (dont want black or logo though)
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/312896

bottega shape i like, but cannot afford..
    http://www.namedbags.com/nero-intrecciato-nappa-convertible-bag-p-1587.html

like this type of shape but not the finish..
    http://www.dmarge.com/2010/04/dunhill-hold-all-bag.html

anywyas, any suggestions for a bag that..
    - very good quality
    - elegant, not garish or full of logos
    - not overpriced and glued together.

thanks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  17. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I sold that Dunhill Tradition bag you linked to - I could have sold it 30 times over. Retail is about £3k though so certainly not a budget option.

The SABs you linked to are great, though I prefer the traditional holdall to the other one. It's worth keeping an eye on their online Factory Shop - http://www.papworthtravelgoods.co.uk/the_factory_shop/large_leather_goods/index.html

Another option for good stuff at reasonable prices is Tusting. If you're in London they are stocked at Fortnum & Mason and doubtless elsewhere. They make for others, notably Pickett, too - the quality is the same and the price higher, but sometimes they have slightly different models or decent discounts.

This is the Medium Explorer in Atlantic leather. I have one in Kudu suede and it wears very well. If I'm being critical the hardwear is a slightly naff antiqued bronze which works fine but isn't quite up to the aging potential of the leathers - I'd prefer plain matte or polished.

[​IMG]

I'd avoid the Mulberry clippers - their Scotchgrain is hardwearing but basically just a synthetic cloth and the prices they're charging these days are disproportionate to the quality.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. lovelux2010

indeed the dunhill tradition bag is well over budget, but beautiful!

thank you for the tusting suggestion, how is the quality on the tusting? it is less then half the price of the SAB, but it does look very nice in the picture!

as far as the SAB, which size would be sufficient for weekend trips, and would i be able to carry on board planes the cambridge 19 or 25?
    http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/products/camb19_h/index.html

in terms of colour - i wanted a bag i could use on weekends even with jeans, or perhaps for business - london tan looks gorgeous but i also like the havana.

also, am i right in thinking the cambridge is more formal and the oxford less formal?

finally, i have uploaded a few pictures of a bag i inherited. it was purchased circa 20-25 years ago at Harrods in London, it is by Hartmann. it does have quite a large stain that i believe is quite recent, perhaps it will fade in time. if anyone has suggestion on how to lessen the stains impact advice is appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dont know if anyone has pictures of an aged cambridge or oxford SAB? seem hard to find in forums

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  19. lovelux2010

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  20. kidkorea

kidkorea Senior member

A while ago I made these bags with my brother. All organically hand dyed korean fabrics with charcoal, persimmon, gallnut, ash, and indigo plant. All made in Seoul.
    [​IMG]

After a couple of months we put the brand on hold for the next 7 months but restarted recently and are releasing a 5 bag collection very soon. Thought I'd post some pictures here before our release:

[​IMG]
    Our fabrics being dyed in the countryside of Korea

[​IMG]
    Our previous collection was 100% organic guangmok cotton, but for our new collection we use a Korean silk/cotton blend and sourced a great Italian leather

[​IMG]
    Our fabrics drying

[​IMG]
    behind the scenes from our lookbook

[​IMG]
    Organic dyed strap details for our M2 and daypack

[​IMG]
    Inside detail of our indigo daypack model

Apologies for the long post! Can't be thankful enough to Styleforum for all the support.
    For more updates/sneakpeaks please check out our Facebook Page. Our new website and collection will be launched later in the month. K thanks!

2 people like this.