1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to T-Shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imageWIS, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Meis

Meis Senior member

Since I don't think anyone's mentioned it...
    I have some h&m jersey v-neck tees that fit pretty well, the V is pretty shallow and they're decently slim all over at least for me and shorter in the body length-wise (sz S, i'm 5'8"/36). The only fit-related complaint I have is that the arm holes could be smaller...but not much of problem considering they're only $5-6 each.

Oh, there does seem to be slight differences (nothing to major) depending on which part of h&m makes the shirt...divided/logg.

2. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

If I want some thing a litttle smaller than a uniqlo small tee what size american apparel tee should I get. Small or Xs? Also do they shrink in the wash?

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

4. Jthaeler

Jthaeler Well-Known Member

Anybody who pays more than 20 bucks for a t shirt is trying too hard. Ed Hardy graphic tee is not >>> cheapo tee shirt from Gap

5. Kill_switch

Kill_switch Senior member

Anybody who pays more than 20 bucks for a t shirt is trying too hard. Ed Hardy graphic tee is not >>> cheapo tee shirt from Gap
    nobody here is buying ed hardy t-shirts, but many are spending more than 20 on a t-shirt for a multitude of reasons such as quality, fabric, softness and overall fit.

6. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

THX FR ADVCE WLL STP BYNG DSGNR CLTHZ

This is very ignorant, what exactly is the difference between a t-shirt and a button down, or a cardigan, or a pair of pants? They're all garments made up of fabric sewn together to form a design, so why should a t-shirt be held to any different a standard than any other garment? To spell it out, the majority of high end fashion designers make t-shirts from quality fabrics and there are many t-shirts have also been designed in avant garde ways (think rick owens), you simply can't compare a julius leather shirt to a target synthetic one. In future please don't be so quick to judge or make bold statements.

7. mrpinkbullets

mrpinkbullets New Member

I tend to have an abnormal torso shape so I'm looking for a tee with the following characteristics:

- Small neck hole (I have a long neck)
    - Average-sized shoulders (I'm about a 35 jacket chest)
    - Very slim waist (I'm about a 28 pants waist)
    - Short length (to make my short legs look longer)
    - Very slim, preferably long-ish sleeves (for my breadstick arms)

I have some AA t-shirts from a few years back that fit me okay (though they have shrunk and shrunk and are practically doll-sized now). The new, standard AA tees are way too long for me. Last year I bought some AA v-necks that fit perfectly (slim fit, not too long, very soft, slim sleeves) but now I'm looking for regular crew-necks. Price is not super important but obviously cheaper would be better.

Any advice?

8. Razele

Razele Senior member

Just to let the aussies know - Ascolour.com.au ships basics and what not at a crazy cheap price - 5 AUD a piece.

I grabbed a stack of the merle crew necks and will report back on quality.

They are getting v necks in june. Should be good at that price.

9. davo10375

davo10375 Senior member

Razele i'm quite interested, let me know about quality and also overall fit (taper, sleeves, length) relative to aa's?

thanks

10. gt33

gt33 Senior member

got some old navy t's after reading this thread...good variety of colors, lots of neutrals and some brighter colors also. Thick material that seems like it will hold up well. There were 3 types in the store i bought them from, baseball style 2 tone, ringers and plain colored. As for the fit, it really was hit or miss as every one fit differently. You need to try on a few of the same color to find one that fits best. That being said, they were a bit big at first (smalls) but they fit pretty good after a wash, tube sleeves and no triangles/wings, plus a decently slim fit. i recommend these , 7.5/10

11. Razele

Razele Senior member

Its pretty much same measurement as American Apparel.

I think quality will not be as good as Alternative Apparel as they use pima cotton for the perfect t's.

However - its 5 aud a tee - Im not looking for quality. Im looking for something thats decent fitting and cheap.

Im just going to take them to a tailor and get all the hems taken up by two inches so it sits higher - im sure it wont cost more than a few bucks a shirt.

My problem with alternative apparel is that its 22 USD + shipping, which is alot, for something Im going to abuse. Its not cheap enough that I can just abuse them and not care.

12. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

Just got the new BR Pima crewneck yesterday. Runs a bit large so you could probably size down if you like tight fit.

Definitely comfortable and soft without being too thin.

13. Razele

Razele Senior member

Anyone got any advice for a shallow v neck? Is the alternative apparel v neck more shallow then the american apparel one?

Any other idea's?

14. hypnos123

hypnos123 Well-Known Member

Just a thought for people in-between small and medium/schmedium:

I bought a few AA basic tees in medium and they were too long and fit loose at first. I shrink them in the dryer in high heat and now it fits pretty nice. The measurement after shrinking is 20" pit to pit, and 27/28" in length (measured right in the middle from the back). I have 37" chest and 33" waist so....

I also have a question:

I have REALLY breadstick arms, so I am looking for tees that have longer sleeve (that falls about an inch above the elbow) and NARROW openings. Any idea if such tees exist? 3/4 sleeve looks stupid on me btw, so that's not really an option....

15. CoatAddict

CoatAddict New Member

I'm also of the slim persuasion, 37 chest 29 waist, and I'm a big fan of tees. So I'll weigh in on this and bump the thread.

Zara - Their super slim tees are just that. They're 90% cotton and 10% spandex so they have a nice soft and elastic feel to them. Also they don't noticeably shrink. $20, but sales get them around $15.

American Apparel - Not as slim as Zara's super slim, but still pretty well fitted. They shrink a lot, so whatever fits you well in the dressing room, I'd go a size up. They're cheaper though, so you can get 3 for $40. I haven't tried their baby rib shirts yet.

Armani Exchange - The best cotton quality of the 3. Also the most expensive at $25, sales are usually for $20. I would put them at the top except they also shrink a lot, I don't know why stores don't just preshrink all their clothes, I don't like the uncertainty of the shrink process. I guess I could just hang dry them, but that's a lot of work for just a tee.

16. bobmysterious

bobmysterious Member

i'm pretty short. y'all know of any brands that aren't as long?

17. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

So I came back to Hong Kong for the summer and I realized that all I had in my wardrobe were a bunch of graphic t-shirts that I wouldn't dare wear outside so I decided to go grab a couple of Uniqlo T-Shirts.

Just a word of advice... The T-Shirts (slightly cheaper) that are packed in resealable bags seem to size a little bigger than all the other T-Shirts. I wear an XL in their T-shirts (I wear an S in J. Crew buttondowns... I just don't like to get too fitted of a look especially for T-Shirts and I can wear Uniqlo XL without looking like Snoop Dogg's friend) so just a word of warning. Otherwise Uniqlo make some pretty solid T-Shirts, very soft, a bit on the thin side.

EDIT - But not thin enough where nipples poking out would be a problem unless you have abnormally pointy nipples and big moobs.

18. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

I like the Alfani (Macy's) Stretch V-Neck. No shrinking problems and they keep their shape. I also like the Jockey 3D-Innovations shirts. They come in crew and v-neck. I have both, the crew is a rounded collar the wears well be itself or as an undershirt. Both mentioned above are tagless

19. gt33

gt33 Senior member

target has slim v/ crew necks in a bunch of different colors, with some heathered ones also, for 8 bucks a shirt. they hold the shape really well

20. BB1

BB1 Senior member

Fit is always most important, but increasingly I find myself only wanting to only wear the highest quality t-shirts. Brands I've found that fit slim, but use very high quality cotton....

Wings+Horns
    Man of Moods
    Lad Musician

All of the above cost $50 to $100 per shirt but after buying a few I can barely make myself wear the cheap feeling AA t-shirts any longer.

Also, the above brands are all significantly shorter in length than AA t-shirts. And they are tighter around the waist. Thus, they fit me a lot better.