• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to T-Shirts

Riio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave333
I picked up one of the target athletic fit ones the other day and it really does have a pretty good fit. Worlds better than jcrew, gap, etc. and they're cheap too. Quality is good for the price, good thickness and very soft.

seconded, pretty good stuff although the sizing can be inconsistent so try before you buy.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave333
I picked up one of the target athletic fit ones the other day and it really does have a pretty good fit. Worlds better than jcrew, gap, etc. and they're cheap too. Quality is good for the price, good thickness and very soft.

+1 on the target tees. Both the body and sleeves are fitted and the material is pretty comfortable. Only downside is the v on the v-neck is pretty shallow.

H&M is good for shorter t-shirts, but they seem to get holes quicker than any of my other t-shirts.

maritimetimetime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
Alternative Apparel unisex shirts are short. A Small would probably fit you well.

im currently wearing the xs unisex shirts but i find the fit inconsistent. my natural colored one fits perfectly but the other ones are tight as hell

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Whiskey
hanes

Originally Posted by aaronxxx
truth. i have tried many brands of v-necks and hanes are the best.

Which Hanes? I ended up getting the perfect T because it was 'perfect'. I think it's quite nice as a normal t-shirt since the v isn't that deep but it isn't that good for undershirt wear.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hanes Premium crew-neck 3-pack yesterday. It's slim-fit!

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Target shirt the other day it says Coca-Cola on it. The shirt looks and feels really old (its red but throws a pink cast because of the white threads showing through its so thin), and fits really good (kind of long though, but Im mad short). I had to buy a medium these ares so small.

They had a cool 'vintage' Rolling Stones graphic but Tee these all fit weird.

aaronxxx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Which Hanes? I ended up getting the perfect T because it was 'perfect'. I think it's quite nice as a normal t-shirt since the v isn't that deep but it isn't that good for undershirt wear.

i have only bought the ones in the 3-pack bag. from what little comparing i've done, their different lines are all basically the same. they all had the same marketing points on the packaging and were all made of the same material, so i couldn't convince myself to buy 2 shirts for $10 with a 3-pack of what seemed like identical shirts for a few dollars more hanging next to them.

hobo_ken

Reaction score
The perfect T's are a thicker weight, hence the higher price, and are supposed to be more of an outer T.

I believe the 3 packs are supposed to be worn as undershirts, although you can wear them as a single layer if you choose to.

Either way, I'm going to pick up some of the Mossimo T-shirts when they go on sale again ($7)

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pack of the Hanes v-neck undershirts last weekend. Just the fit I was looking for: roomy, but trim down the sides and long in the body with a fairly deep v-neck.

Unfortunately, they didn't survive the wash. I washed most of them with cold water and dried on medium heat last night. I could barely put the shirt on this morning. One hadn't been washed since I was wearing it last night, so I measured the two for comparison. The washed shirt lost at least three inches in the body, two-and-a-half inches in the chest and more than an inch in the sleeves.

Needless to say, I'll look elsewhere for shirts or at the least, size up to a large next time. Five of the six shirt I bought are now unusable.

Jonah

Reaction score
Zara has some decent slim fit t-shirts, they are actually cut with a definitive taper and fits someone with a pronounced V torso/significant drop.

H&M also has some stretch fit t-shirts that fit good. Because of the elastane you can size TTS and have a nice fit around the stomach and the little bit of stretch fits a wide chest/shoulders.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Topman's tees? I'm liking their v-necks and the prices are good (sans the crazy $15 shipping). Wondering how they fit (i.e. TTS) mostly.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
everything there fits on the small side, though I have no exp with their tee's

Lotto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Anyone have experience with Topman's tees? I'm liking their v-necks and the prices are good (sans the crazy $15 shipping). Wondering how they fit (i.e. TTS) mostly.
I picked up a few Topman solid crewnecks from a sale they had. The sleeves are like 1.5'' from the pit seam and 7.5'' from the shoulder seam which is just way too short for my liking, it's like your pits are always exposed. FWIW, an XS I have measures 15'' shoulder to shoulder, 16.5'' pit to pit, and 26'' length.

ashy

Reaction score
Out of topman,zara and uniqlo t-shirts, which ones have the most aggresive taper? Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads