1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. TerryMarshall

TerryMarshall New Member

@faceroll hey bro I had the same problems and then I just started taking my shirts to a seamstress (probably spelt wrong) and bought my shirts a little big. Now they fit perfect [​IMG]

2. kellgy

kellgy Senior member

I'd hang onto those shirts because in a couple of years when your bones develope into man sized even though you're slim you will still take a larger size. At 6' your neck should be about a 16" and you'll still look slim. Most of the boys here should still be buying shirts in the boy's dept. where the proportions are meant for boys and are made for freaky looking unproportioned teen bodies. Look at some of the sizes here and you can see they are kids. What grown man wears a size 7 shoe or a 36 short suit? 1 in a 1000?
    Boy, come on. By the time someone is 17 - 21 their bones are fully developed. This guy finished grad school. He's no boy. By the way, boys (and girls for that matter) are very well proportioned in their teens. It is the years during puberty that proportions are being changed into secondary characteristics, that is usually 9-13 for girls and 10-15 for boys. kudude, I believe Brooks Brothers has an extra slim fit you may want to try. I would just take some of your favorite shirts to a tailor and have them taken in to your liking. Also check out Proper Cloth. They have a nice comparison of slim fitting shirts: http://propercloth.com/slim-fit-dress-shirts

3. DayvanCowboy24

DayvanCowboy24 New Member

I've read the first thirty pages or so, great thread! Hunting down good, slim fit shirts has been an ongoing process for years with only minimal luck. I've seen a lot of people mention they are on a budget and want slim fitted shirts on the cheap. As a graduate student, I am broke so I definitely share that mentality. I usually go to Nordstrom's Rack and try on the different fashion labels I can find. So far, I have found Ben Sherman to be very inconsistent but great when it fits. My measurements are 15/15.5 neck, 34/35 arm length, 38 chest. This usually means I am stuck buying a medium shirt in order not to have weird shoulders and super short sleeves. The only issue with this is that a small shirt fits me through the body like a glove, whereas a Medium is a bit baggy.

Cheap fitted shirts that I have found that aren't awful are Van Heusen and Arrow (PVH also owns Calvin Klein/Tommy Hilfiger). With these you have to be careful as they have two non-traditional fits. The slim has high arm holes but the body is hardly narrow (it's a straight fit). The fitted shirts have a more relaxed arm hole but have a much more narrow body. I used to buy a lot of Arrow shirts because they are inexpensive (as low as 24$ on sale) and fit decently enough.

I've seen some posts asking about polos that fit well. I own only a few polo brands and none of them are RL. Since I buy short-sleeve polos, I will sometimes buy small-sized polo shirts. These happen to be Ben Sherman polos. The vast majority of my polos are Penguin Heritage Slim Fits in a Medium. I wear them with an XS AA deep V-neck and they fit my body well untucked (I've never tucked them in, so I have no comment).

How are the Hugo Boss Red Label?

Also, are there any good and inexpensive tailors in Minneapolis/Minnesota? I haven't seen anyone mention any yet.

4. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Senior member

I'm going to have to give two thumbs up to BB extra slim fit shirts.

I finally opened up my notoriously tight wallet and bought three of these - 1 x Supima and 2 x cotton button downs.

These shirts fit perfectly. I used to get the regular slim fit shirts, but would have to add another $35 for tailoring (arms, body).

They are also a bit shorter, so they can be worn without being tucked in.

I love the Supima feel - thick and oxford like.

5. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

I'm going to have to give two thumbs up to BB extra slim fit shirts.

I finally opened up my notoriously tight wallet and bought three of these - 1 x Supima and 2 x cotton button downs.

These shirts fit perfectly. I used to get the regular slim fit shirts, but would have to add another $35 for tailoring (arms, body).

They are also a bit shorter, so they can be worn without being tucked in.

I love the Supima feel - thick and oxford like.

mind posting your measurements? last time i tried the extra slim shirts, they were too large.

then again, i've lost a lot of weight since then.

6. tricky

tricky Senior member

mind posting your measurements? last time i tried the extra slim shirts, they were too large.

then again, i've lost a lot of weight since then.

Personally I find them way too large.

7. CrocsRock

CrocsRock Senior member

Boy, come on. By the time someone is 17 - 21 their bones are fully developed. This guy finished grad school. He's no boy. By the way, boys (and girls for that matter) are very well proportioned in their teens. It is the years during puberty that proportions are being changed into secondary characteristics, that is usually 9-13 for girls and 10-15 for boys.

kudude, I believe Brooks Brothers has an extra slim fit you may want to try. I would just take some of your favorite shirts to a tailor and have them taken in to your liking. Also check out Proper Cloth. They have a nice comparison of slim fitting shirts: http://propercloth.com/slim-fit-dress-shirts

I've heard that Proper Cloth no longer produces their shirts in the US. Anybody know if there's any truth to this? If so, where are they now produced, and has the quality remained consistent?

8. kellgy

kellgy Senior member

I've heard that Proper Cloth no longer produces their shirts in the US. Anybody know if there's any truth to this? If so, where are they now produced, and has the quality remained consistent?
    I picked this up from a recent article that is linked below: "The company bundles the orders to production facilities in Malaysia. There, a combination of robots and skilled sewers manufacture the shirts, but not before a label, bar-coded with each customer's name and order number, is affixed to each item to ensure that no product is lost. The shirts are mechanically boxed and shipped via Fed Ex to Memphis, passing smoothly through U.S. Customs, then on to consumers." I don't know about the quality but the company is only 2 years old. I would hope they haven't deteriorated that fast. http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...BIZ/311079998#

9. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

I have a propercloth order on the way to me and according to FedEx the shirt is departing Malaysia.

10. delavegatailors

delavegatailors Member

Depends on the man, depends on the shirt. Try some on and see how they work for you. If you feel uncomfortable, then that will usually be obvious to others and you won't be able to pull it off. However, a big, baggy shirt an a heavier man will only make him look even heavier. So slim-fit isn't always exclusively for slim guys. But I definitely suggest trying on some slimmer stuff than you're used to to see how it fits.

Agree. Some larger men wear baggy shirts to try to avoid looking heavier, but the effect it's quite the opposite. Baggy shirts aren't flattering.
    However I would not recommend a large man to wear a slim fit shirt either, a made to measure shirt with a regular fit would probably be a better choice.

11. tombrokaw

tombrokaw Well-Known Member

The slimmest shirts I've ever seen are from benjamin bixy (the defunct vanity line of andre3000).

I bought 4 cutaway collar, french cuff dress shirts in solids and simple stripe patterns, with the tags on for maybe 8 bucks a piece at Jeremy's in SF.

They fit my 15 neck and 33 sleeve perfectly, in fact I think the sleeves are 34, and it's cut to within two inches of my 29 waist.

12. sacksem

sacksem Member

I recently ordered two Charles Tyrwhitt tailored fit shirts and am very pleased with what showed up two weeks later. Their tailored fit is slimmer than their slim fit but is also the most limited in fabric choices. Though the sizes always seem to be on back order, I also really like the specificity in choices which allow the buyer interger sleeve lengths or even half inch increments for a small charge. 16x35" fits me perfectly though, and it's honestly the first non custom shirt I can say that about. I'm 6'2, 170, with 40" chest, 31" waist. If you're somewhat similar drop I highly recommend trying these shirts.

One last note, they're not terribly long so they can be worn untucked. I rarely if ever wear a collared shirt untucked so I'd rather these had more length.

Anyway, definitely worth my $59 each plus the wait.

13. GodAtum

GodAtum Senior member

My M&S slim fit shirts and Next slim fit are fantastic.

14. Qudi

Qudi Senior member

Can anyone recommend me brands for slim fit casual shirt? I'm a student that can't afford extremely expensive brands or getting things tailored. I have a medium "Slim Fit" tagged dress shirt from Uniqlo, not +J, and it fits very well. Have yet to find a shirt that fits as well as that one.

My measurements:
    15.5 neck
    31-32ish arm
    36 bust
    32 natural waist

Most shirts end up having too much fabric at the waist. Tried on the BB extra slim the other day and it fit like a bag. Could anyone estimate my size in J.Crew? Tried on a small once in-store and it fit well, but I don't know whether it was a slim fit or regular.

15. tombrokaw

Can anyone recommend me brands for slim fit casual shirt? I'm a student that can't afford extremely expensive brands or getting things tailored. I have a medium "Slim Fit" tagged dress shirt from Uniqlo, not +J, and it fits very well. Have yet to find a shirt that fits as well as that one.

My measurements:
    15.5 neck
    31-32ish arm
    36 bust
    32 natural waist

Most shirts end up having too much fabric at the waist. Tried on the BB extra slim the other day and it fit like a bag. Could anyone estimate my size in J.Crew? Tried on a small once in-store and it fit well, but I don't know whether it was a slim fit or regular.

Express extra slim fit shirts will eventually be on sale for 20-30 bucks a piece. That would suit a student budget fine.

16. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Even on a budget I would advise against Express. I used to buy them all the time before I knew anything about clothing, and they make some of the worst dress shirts I have ever seen. The colors will fade, and the shirt will wear out with just a few washings. You're better off buying more shirts from Uniqlo like the one that already fits you well than going to Express IMO.

17. tombrokaw

Is there any place to buy uniqlo online?

err, besides ebay obviously.

18. Last Year's Man

Last Year's Man Senior member

Is there any place to buy uniqlo online?

err, besides ebay obviously.

uniqlo.com?

19. tombrokaw

uniqlo.com seems to list the products and even prices, but there is no link to buy and no shopping cart.

20. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

I recently ordered two Charles Tyrwhitt tailored fit shirts and am very pleased with what showed up two weeks later. Their tailored fit is slimmer than their slim fit but is also the most limited in fabric choices. Though the sizes always seem to be on back order, I also really like the specificity in choices which allow the buyer interger sleeve lengths or even half inch increments for a small charge. 16x35" fits me perfectly though, and it's honestly the first non custom shirt I can say that about. I'm 6'2, 170, with 40" chest, 31" waist. If you're somewhat similar drop I highly recommend trying these shirts.

One last note, they're not terribly long so they can be worn untucked. I rarely if ever wear a collared shirt untucked so I'd rather these had more length.

Anyway, definitely worth my $59 each plus the wait.

I too bought one recently and really liked the fit. However, after the first wash I believe it shrank a little, it seemed a little tighter and the sleeves a little shorter. It could have been that way in the beginning and I just didn't really notice. So, please post again after a few washings.

Thanks,