The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. DeusExa

DeusExa Active Member

I'm 6', 150lb, slender but not skinny, and have a reasonably athletic build.

Any suggestions for quality slim-fit shirts ~ $50-100, in darker colors, i.e. black, navy, charcoal-grey (also white)?

2. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

I've pretty much resigned myself to custom dress shirts. But figure I'd ask before I buy too many more.

My dimensions:

Neck: 15"
    Shoulders: 17.75"
    Chest: 38"
    Waist: 29.5"
    Bicep width: 12-13"
    Arm hole: ~18"

Any OTR shirts fit those measurements pretty closely for under $100 with good quality fabrics and construction?

3. glue24

glue24 New Member

{edit} sorry wrong thread...

4. sd0rtega

sd0rtega New Member

Thanks for all the info everyone.

5. Mexicorn

Mexicorn Senior member

I know it's not in any way up to some people's standards on the fora, but if you're only looking for fit and don't care about quality, I've always found some impressively slim shirts at Daffy's outlets in NYC.

Take this piece: it's a random brand (Covent Garden) size 15.5/39 (no sleeve length specified but i'm usually 35). I'm 6'2" and my chest measures about 36". It's very thin material and probably won't last long, but was only $25 and fits me well enough that I don't feel the need to alter it. It has some rather dramatic darts in the back, but I don't mind. I also got a 15/38 from a different brand (identical cut though) which is even slimmer in the chest but unfortunately a touch short in the sleeves. Also ~$25

For reference the pants (Ben Sherman, also found at Daffy's for like $12) are size 31.

6. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I know it's not in any way up to some people's standards on the fora, but if you're only looking for fit and don't care about quality, I've always found some impressively slim shirts at Daffy's outlets in NYC.

Take this piece: it's a random brand (Covent Garden) size 15.5/39 (no sleeve length specified but i'm usually 35). I'm 6'2" and my chest measures about 36". It's very thin material and probably won't last long, but was only $25 and fits me well enough that I don't feel the need to alter it. It has some rather dramatic darts in the back, but I don't mind. I also got a 15/38 from a different brand (identical cut though) which is even slimmer in the chest but unfortunately a touch short in the sleeves. Also ~$25

For reference the pants (Ben Sherman, also found at Daffy's for like $12) are size 31.

Random brands at T.J. Maxx and Marshalls also have some nice fitting shirts, but you have to dig through the crap stuff first.

7. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

I've pretty much resigned myself to custom dress shirts. But figure I'd ask before I buy too many more.

My dimensions:

Neck: 15"
    Shoulders: 17.75"
    Chest: 38"
    Waist: 29.5"
    Bicep width: 12-13"
    Arm hole: ~18"

Any OTR shirts fit those measurements pretty closely for under $100 with good quality fabrics and construction?

Pay a little more and go with Kent Wang

8. phxlawstudent

Uh... unless your referring to a different vendor, that place doesn't even offer my sleeve length. Add the cost of the alteration, and I've got the price of a custom shirt. No thanks.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Uh... unless your referring to a different vendor, that place doesn't even offer my sleeve length. Add the cost of the alteration, and I've got the price of a custom shirt. No thanks.

You can get custom shirts for $115 - $130?

10. phxlawstudent

You can get custom shirts for $115 - $130?

Yes. And local too.

http://www.modageorgio.com/site/index.html

And also from my tailor who works out of his house.

Theres also propercloth.com in the US and outside of the US there are places like moderntailor.com et al.

11. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Kent Wang's shirts are better than custom-made ones?

12. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Kent Wang's shirts are better than custom-made ones?

he asked for otr, genius.

13. rosie78

rosie78 Active Member

I'm very slim (size 29 waist) and have a hard time finding shirts that fit properly. The one that fits me best is an Etro shirt I picked up in Spain. Band of outsiders is good too if you don't have a problem with the short torso or buy a "long".

14. onix

onix Senior member

^ I am a 29 waist too. I found the best and cheapest way to do this: alteration.

15. tonydrew

tonydrew New Member

Hey Gents as per my earlier post i have started a new venture retailing Italian shirts I have had made from a very good manufacturer based nr Perugia .

I would like to send 3 or 4 of the sites members a sample shirt so I can get some feedback on material and production quality .

I am really looking for people with good shirt collections so that I can get some comparison feedback .

many thanks

Tony