• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Icehawk

Reaction score
Today I went out looking for dress shirts, here were my results (I'm 5'7" and 130lbs):

Boss Hugo Boss (black label, made in Turkey) - very close fit for me in the 15, just a little broad in the shoulders. $125-155

Theory - almost spot on fit, I believe this was labeled as a Small. $200 was outside my budget for this purchase or I would have bought it.

Pink - stretch slim fit was actually a little tight (15), their Travel model (14.5) fit me a bit better but could still use a little narrowing in the shoulders. $195 and $155.

Benetton - ended up buying these on sale (2 for 1) as the fit is pretty much spot on in size 38, could use more neck room if it will be buttoned though. $79. These are the slimmest fitting in the stomach by far.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
Today I went out looking for dress shirts, here were my results (I'm 5'7" and 130lbs):

Boss Hugo Boss (black label, made in Turkey) - very close fit for me in the 15, just a little broad in the shoulders. $125-155

Theory - almost spot on fit, I believe this was labeled as a Small. $200 was outside my budget for this purchase or I would have bought it.

Pink - stretch slim fit was actually a little tight (15), their Travel model (14.5) fit me a bit better but could still use a little narrowing in the shoulders. $195 and $155.

Benetton - ended up buying these on sale (2 for 1) as the fit is pretty much spot on in size 38, could use more neck room if it will be buttoned though. $79. These are the slimmest fitting in the stomach by far.

Seriously, you can get very nice custom-made shirts for about $150 made in any style(s) of your choice (French cuffs, Italian cuffs, button cuffs, collar style/size, open placket, placket covering buttons, single- or double-button collars, etc).

refinery

Reaction score

Seems like another vote for Benetton.

Seriously need to check them out in the Houston Galleria soon!

My biggest problem is how loose shirts are across the stomach.

If they are a perfect fit at 79 bucks without a sale, I'd still buy them.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Very tight in the stomach - I've gained ~10lbs this year and these shirts are good incentive to do some situps.

As for MTO shirts, it is certainly something I would persue in the future but I needed two basic shirts within one week so opted for something inexpensive.

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snazberry
i feel like custom shirts are the best answer for it all, but it is hard to find a good tailor in most cities who is willing to actually give a good, slim fit.

I've been thinking that as well. I'm looking into learning how to sew to see if I could make my own slim fitting shirts. The only problem is I can't find patterns of slim fitting shirts. They all look a bit boxy, so I think if I were to take that route, I'd have to make my own patterns.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very tight in the stomach - I've gained ~10lbs this year and these shirts are good incentive to do some situps.

Sit-ups will not spot-reduce fat; actually nothing will spot-reduce fat. If you want to loss body-fat, your best bet is cardio + proper diet.

lektrix

Reaction score
I'm 6'0, 157lbs, long/lanky/skinny/toned build...I don't even know if the slim/modern fits fit me well enough LOL. Sigh
confused.gif

refinery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Sit-ups will not spot-reduce fat; actually nothing will spot-reduce fat. If you want to loss body-fat, your best bet is cardio + proper diet.

Truth. Don't even focus on exercising just to get rid of your love handles/muffin top, whatever. Just exercise your whole body and don't just do sit-ups the whole day, because it really doesn't lead to results.

I've moved from cardio to HIIT finally losing my gut. Now is the time for me to find some slim fitting shirts.

rcbuffett

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a variety of Lands' End tailored/slim fit shirts to test them out:

Hyde Park Oxford Cloth -
Its not available in non-iron. It is a heavy Suprima Cotton fabric. It comes out of the dryer just as well as a Polo RL Oxford buttondown.

Oxford and Pinpoint Non- Iron Tailored Fit
It comes out decent, nice fit. The oxford seems to hold up much better. The pinpoint I have is which, and the wrinkles can be noticable. You can't dry them the whole way, I usually pull out when 1/4 damp to let dry on a hanger. The creases stay nice, but the collar does roll.

In general...
Lands' End cheaps out on the details, such as the buttons, which had loose excess threads which I cut off. I also don't like that the care tag is on the front of the tails. It should be located on the side near the waist.

For the price, and the 100% refund it can't be beat. I also bought a down vest for $50 which is very nice and fits well. I am a tall guy and like that Lands' End has a Tall size, which is longer in the tails (in addition to the sleeves). My Polo RL oxfords have shrunken slightly, making them harder and harder to tuck in. That's after 4 years of wearing though!

lektrix

Reaction score
For some reason Kenneth Cole Reaction Slim Fit/Wrinkle-Free shirts fit well on me. Hardly baggy at all at the back when I tuck it in. I'm 6'0 ~160lbs and skinny as heck... Will have to try higher up brands to see if I can notice a difference.

saimike

Reaction score
I recently stumbled upon a black Ben Sherman Mod Fit shirt in Nordstrom Rack for $35. Its great for a small guy like me with huge shoulders but a slim waist (in a land of big waistlines!).

Unfortunately, that seems to be the only shirt in that cut. Everything else seems to be a Soho or Jerwyn St cut, which is more generous at the waist.

StennyH2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saimike
I recently stumbled upon a black Ben Sherman Mod Fit shirt in Nordstrom Rack for $35. Its great for a small guy like me with huge shoulders but a slim waist (in a land of big waistlines!). Unfortunately, that seems to be the only shirt in that cut. Everything else seems to be a Soho or Jerwyn St cut, which is more generous at the waist.
The Soho cut should be slimmer everywhere... Are you mixing up mod and soho? EDIT: I see, you are saying the soho cut might not fit you in the shoulders.

Batini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunelly
Has anyone here tried stuff from ebay? There seems to be a huge influx of slim fitted shirts from multiple sellers from south korea.

An example
http://stores.ebay.com/StylishHomme2...fsubZ605632017

I would suggest to avoid these cheap synthetic materials. They shrink, not durable and some of them recommended to dry clean which can be pricey after all. If you even hand wash them a color will be washed out and material will shrink as your t-shirt wore in 5th grade. Personal experience of hunting for best fit but now Salvation Army has them all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads