• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

t22

Reaction score
h&m has a line called 'easy iron' that comes in ten or so solid colours, cost CAN$25, are slim fit, no button down, no pockets, don't shrink, and are truly easy iron if you don't stuff too many into washer and dryer. all i iron is collar, cuffs and sometimes the front panel.

these are cheaply but fairly well made, some have lasted me for a couple of years now. i especially like the light and dark grey ones.

A Dapper Fellow

Reaction score
Hello all.

I usually wear slim fit medium, the length is good but it is baggy. I am thin, I measured my waist at the smallest point a few days ago and it was 25.5". I was going to measure my shoulders but I can't find my measuring tape. But medium usually fits me well except for the bagginess, and I am a bit over six foot with shoes on. Where is the best place to get a shirt for me that is not so baggy?

John_Edward

Reaction score
Originally Posted by t22
h&m has a line called 'easy iron' that comes in ten or so solid colours, cost CAN$25, are slim fit, no button down, no pockets, don't shrink, and are truly easy iron if you don't stuff too many into washer and dryer. all i iron is collar, cuffs and sometimes the front panel.

these are cheaply but fairly well made, some have lasted me for a couple of years now. i especially like the light and dark grey ones.

Brilliant! H&M's shop down the street is having their grand opening this week. Discounts and offers to be had. I'll check it out today.

Pahreen

Reaction score
H&M's non-iron shirts are poor in quality. Try the folded "premium" shirts, for the same fit, but with better fabric.

darnelled

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the true differences in measurement between the Ralph Lauren Slim Custom-Fit Solid Poplin shirts and regular sizing?

How long are the sleeves? how much slimmer throught the chest and waist are they?
I have to wear an XL if regular sized to get a 34-36 sleeve, but they are just huge and billowy at the waist. I'd like to order a slim L or XL if needed.

The website's size charts don't include slim and the people on the phone are clueless.

link-
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...tedColor=Black

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StennyH2
The Express slim shirts are too narrow in the shoulders and not cut long enough for me.

Does H&M have casual slim shirts? I didn't see any.

Big City H&Ms have much more options.
They have long and short suits too.

Taylor Stitch

Reaction score
Gentleman and like-minded sartorialists, As an avid reader and semi-avid participant in 'The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts', I am sympathetic your fitting woes and proudly welcome you to my store The Taylor Stitch Custom Shirting Shop I read through everyones posts once a week to get an idea of who everyone likes in terms of fit. Two years ago, I had the same problem of finding shirts that fit, and embarked on starting a men's shop that concentrated on customization and fit. I welcome you all to take a look at our store, and more importantly I would love to hear your feedback. We offer 240 fabrics, American single-needle tailoring, and three ways to customize your fit. Oh, and for those who love well made shirts and are in a financial pinch, please email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to provide some financial aid in the form of a nice coupon. Personally, I think this forum should be renamed "The Definitive Forum of Shirting Enthusiasts". Please drop by our online shop, and all the best in your pursuit for the perfect fit. Cheers, Barrett Founder of Taylor Stitch 484.354.8399

Swededude

Reaction score
I recieved my shirts yesterday, they're not really slim but acceptable. I will most certainly take them to a tailor for altering though, if they do not shrink a bit in the first washes. I tried 3 different shirts, the slim-fit with french cuffs where the most slim-fitting one. The one with barrel cuffs were not as slim. The John Francomb Reveretto had a really strange shape with lots of excess fabric in the chest but equally slim as the FC one in the waist... I'll see how I will do with that one. Otherwise I like them, the fabric is nice and the price is excellent. A shame that the buttons are plastic, but for the price I guess that's what you get.

kerstenpretty21

Reaction score
try it on first before buying it. my husband likes his lacoste shirt and also hanes. they feel confortable he said. try the tee shirt style for men. or tee shirt for girls in your size
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif

bags for all seasons..
promotional plastic bags

CityWanderer

Reaction score
The only slim fit shirts I can find that I truely love are from J-Crew (for casual) and Brooks Brothers (for work).

UserName60

Reaction score
A note for slim, short guys. A Hickey Freeman boys' size 18 is roughly equivalent to a 14.5-32, but slimmer. They retail for $110 but can be found for $46 (on sale) at Hickey Freeman's web site and $30-$40 at the Sierra Trading Post web site.

Pros:
1. The shoulders are wider than most children's wear, suitable for men.
2. The sleeves are set high.
3. The sleeves and cuffs are very slender.
4. Quality is good (but not great).

Cons:
1. The chest pocket is undersized and oddly placed. [Best to remove it.]
2. The body is a straight fit, with no taper from the chest to the waist.
3. Length is excellent for short men, but may be too short for most men.

Here are measurements from a boy's size 18:
Neck - 14-1/2"
Sleeve length from mid neck to cuff - 32"
Sleeve length from shoulder seam to cuff - 23"
Chest (pit-to-pit) - 20" (x2)
Waist - 19-3/4" (x2)
Shoulders - 18"
Cuffs - 7-5/8"
Total length (rear top of collar to shirt tail) - 30"

dunelly

Reaction score
I'm wearing a ralph lauren size 18 shirt (boys)
fits beautifully for my 34 inch chest and 28 inch waist. Also perfect length for untuck

If there's a way to get a similar fit with no monogram, let me know.

refinery

Reaction score
There's two shirts in my closet that fit me awesomely.

One is a solid white, pretty thick fabric casual long sleeve shirt from Levi's. It was 13 bucks on sale and I just had to try it on and it was great. After I washed it though, it was a smudge slimmer and it's perfect. Perfect shoulders, chest, waist, and sleeve length. Just my luck! I didn't even have to get a small (what I do sometimes) and it's a perfect fit at a medium. However, my other Levi casual shirts don't fit as well as that one for some reason... :[

Another one is a Lacoste long sleeve I got at Buffalo Exchange for 20 bucks. I checked online, and Lacoste long sleeves go for about 150 USD? It was a size 38 and it's a little less slim as my Levi shirt, but honestly it's just being nitpicky.

I'm 5'10", 158 lbs, 30 waist, 15.5 neck, 33 sleeve. I wear a 38R suit. I don't know my chest.

I've read like 40-50 pages from this topic and it seems as if Benetton slim shirts are the best for the value? I remember wearing them when I was in 1st grade (I'm a college freshman now), when my mom was then shopping every weekend at the mall. I've always liked their stuff at 6-7 years old and I've looked at their website and it seems as if I'm going to try to fit a Benetton shirt soon.

John_Edward

Reaction score
Originally Posted by refinery
I've read like 40-50 pages from this topic and it seems as if Benetton slim shirts are the best for the value? I remember wearing them when I was in 1st grade (I'm a college freshman now), when my mom was then shopping every weekend at the mall. I've always liked their stuff at 6-7 years old and I've looked at their website and it seems as if I'm going to try to fit a Benetton shirt soon.

Can someone tell me about the Benetton shirts? The nearest shop is a 120 miles from me, so it's a bit of schlep if I'm bound to be disappointed. I looked over the site but they've not got a full product listing like one would expect to find if they did online retail as well as brick-&-mortar.

Have they got a selection of slim fit shirts without pockets and without button down collars? So long as that exists in white, I'd be content. If there are other colors and patterns, I'll be chuffed.

Also, what's the price on these? About $70? Anyone know if they have regular, seasonal offers?

refinery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John_Edward
Can someone tell me about the Benetton shirts? The nearest shop is a 120 miles from me, so it's a bit of schlep if I'm bound to be disappointed. I looked over the site but they've not got a full product listing like one would expect to find if they did online retail as well as brick-&-mortar.

Have they got a selection of slim fit shirts without pockets and without button down collars? So long as that exists in white, I'd be content. If there are other colors and patterns, I'll be chuffed.

Also, what's the price on these? About $70? Anyone know if they have regular, seasonal offers?

There's one in Houston in the Galleria supposedly. That store is huge and has everything!
inlove.gif
Anyways, I'm gonna check them out Thanksgiving week and see if that store has sales, because it should, for Black Friday, Thanksgiving, etc.

70 doesn't sound too bad. I mean Express 1MX shirts are 60 retail and are horrible in quality, decent in fit.

Definitely not worth the price. Even for 25 bucks, it's still iffy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads